Make a donation

Author Topic: I know there's a problem but VW says not...?  (Read 2956 times)

Offline motogp46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
I know there's a problem but VW says not...?
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:12:43 pm »
Help if anyone can.

Recently got a new GTI and on the test run things seemed normal enough, though they were at normal town speeds. However, post purchase the car seems flat when pushed vs. my old GTI. Even the wife thought it was slower. The pick up in 5th or 6th is flat whereas my old GTI just picked up and went. I also get a lot of what I thought was escaping air when under strain. So turbo leak I thought.

Took the car to VW and they say there's no fault codes and they can't find any leak but I know that there's a problem. It's a Mk5 07 plate whereas my old car was a Mk5 55 plate.

There've asked me to pop up in the morning and for me to take the engineer out and demonstrate where I think the issue is. I've asked them to driver another GTI for comparison too which they haven't been able to at the mo.

At the risk of being told, 'it's you mate, we've checked and there's nothing wrong, get over it', is there anything I can ask for them to check without sounding like know-it-all?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: I know there's a problem but VW says not...?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 05:20:11 pm »
The fact that they've asked you to take out one of their engineers (techmechs) and demonstrate the issue is a good sign that they're willing to try to help if they can.

Keep us posted :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:26:25 pm »
+1 on that. They aren't fobbing you off when they're doing that.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline motogp46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 05:45:31 pm »
Yes, it's Citygate in High Wycombe. They do give good service. I'll keep you posted.

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:30:46 pm »
sure you have thought of this but did you buy your first gti second hand? could have had map?
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline motogp46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 06:34:30 pm »
Hi, yes bought it from Citygate in Ruislip and always services by VW. Presume if it was mapped, VW would have picked it up ?

On the plus side, fuel consumption is through the roof so it must be something to do with the turbo.

Thanks

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 06:38:55 pm »
why what mpg you getting? good to see another moto gp fan on here too :happy2:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline motogp46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 06:44:44 pm »
On a tank (50 litres fill up), I'm getting circa 370 miles which is about 50-60 more than before. This is err, about 34 mpg I think with mix of m'way and normal roads.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 07:11:05 pm »
Ask them to check the DV (diverter valve)

It's a known fault even on standard cars for the rubber diaphragm to split. This causes a boost leak which could be why it feels "flat"

A good test for you to do yourself is 50-70mph in 6th should take 7.8secs if all is well.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 10:27:10 am »

Presume if it was mapped, VW would have picked it up ?

....Theoretically yes but not necessarily. It depends on who at VW has test driven your car and their individual experience of remapped GTI's. Mine once asked me if my map was switched off because he found she didn't have the usual 'sparkle'. Obviously a Stage2 remap will have more 'sparkle' than a Stage1 but a Stage1 still feels very different to stock (talking K03 here).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline BenR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 10:35:54 am »
As stated above, get them to check the Diverter Valve

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 01:03:39 pm »
On a tank (50 litres fill up), I'm getting circa 370 miles which is about 50-60 more than before. This is err, about 34 mpg I think with mix of m'way and normal roads.

I get roughly the same MPG as that mate with a stage 1 remap.

Offline motogp46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 01:38:43 pm »
By way of an update. Drove out with the technician this morning and sounds and 'boost' all seems to be as they'd expect. They suggested that the difference could be due to a number of things such as tighter controls on emissions on the new car, how the car was driven previously and just simple variations in turbos. I asked whether my old car could have been re-mapped and then whether they would have spotted it during a service etc and apparently they wouldn't. They work off fault codes from the system and if no fault codes exist, they (tend) not to do any further investigation. Mine had no fault codes. I do though recognise that they have gone beyond the normal call of duty to help, so max stars there!

So, spoke to a Paramount Performance to help on tweaks, they'll do a 'hands on' analysis for not a lot of cash - make sure the car is (totally) ok before applying anything and we'll go from there in terms of stage 1 re-map and new DV.

Any recommendations for my first venture into the tweak world would be appreciated. Don't want to go silly just want some extra oomph!

Thanks