Make a donation

Author Topic: RR Results from RS Tuning Today... (UPDATE / 2nd Run)  (Read 8892 times)

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: RR Results from RS Tuning Today...
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 09:20:02 pm »
Bit of an update guys...

After the results I got at RS Tuning the other Sat, I have been wanting to get back on some DD rollers since I have upgraded my Dbilas Intake to PDT's Hybrid Dbilas intake (seen here http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16247.0.html ).
Well as I was working up in the North East today, I decided to call in on Dave and see if he could squeeze me in for a quick RR session.

Results:-

Pretty pleased with the results I have to say (especially on DD rollers) and it would appear that Dave's findings about the standard Dbilas filter seem to be fairly conclusive (19.6bhp and 41 ft lb gain). Especially as he saw the same difference when he did back to back tests on his car with the Hybrid and the standard Dbilas intake. Now I know it's not quite as accurate on mine being on different rollers on differet days, but I have been led to believe that DD rollers shouldn't vary much even in different locations, so long as they are operated properly obviously..  :wink:
Just like to say a big thanks to Dave for all his advice (the guy knows his stuff  :surprised:) and for squeezing me in today at short notice  :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:26:36 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: RR Results from RS Tuning Today... (UPDATE / 2nd Run)
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 09:25:33 pm »
just goes to show how much better the cars perform with an open filter  :smiley:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010, 09:27:48 pm »
just goes to show how much better the cars perform with an open filter  :smiley:
Or just one that doesn't have a lawn mower filter in the intake..  :surprised:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2010, 09:29:33 pm »
but the scaling on those graphs is the worst ive seen on any dyno printout.  

if that was  spread out over the width of the graph instead of the middle third it would look massively better, and you would see your torque characteristics and how they correlate with the Hp curve better.  it'd also be better if the torque and Hp values went up at the same scale on each side,   look at hurdy's dyno graph in the NOS threas and you'll see what i mean

that minor thing aside, very commendable results for a dyno dynamics set of rollers.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 09:30:16 pm »
thats more than Hurdys in non NOS mode on a DD roller  :surprised:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 09:33:47 pm »
thats more than Hurdys in non NOS mode on a DD roller  :surprised:

but as i said johns would make more power if it was not strapped down so tight  :rolleye: even rs tuning said that but due to nos they did not want it to move a mm

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 09:34:47 pm »
but the scaling on those graphs is the worst ive seen on any dyno printout.  

if that was  spread out over the width of the graph instead of the middle third it would look massively better, and you would see your torque characteristics and how they correlate with the Hp curve better.  it'd also be better if the torque and Hp values went up at the same scale on each side,   look at hurdy's dyno graph in the NOS threas and you'll see what i mean

that minor thing aside, very commendable results for a dyno dynamics set of rollers.

Dave said he will re-scale it for me if I want. Might take him up on that..  :wink:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 09:36:15 pm »
thats more than Hurdys in non NOS mode on a DD roller  :surprised:

but as i said johns would make more power if it was not strapped down so tight  :rolleye: even rs tuning said that but due to nos they did not want it to move a mm

Not suprised Mat with that torque figure. It would move Leeds to the East coast if that came off..  :grin:

Not bad for the few mods and OEM cooler though..  :wink: Although it did drop 8bhp on another run, so shows where the Twintercooler would help, as Dave said his results didn't budge after 6 runs on his.  :surprised:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:40:11 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 09:40:13 pm »
hmmm Stage 2+ must be done on the R.

But must resist.........  :grin:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 11:11:54 pm »
That is an excellent result Ben :happy2:

355bhp on a DD is more than Jonnyc had when he set the 12.6 run (although he did have a little weight advantage :wink:). Should easily be in the 12's now.....and get some R1R's on there :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 10:33:53 am »
thats more than Hurdys in non NOS mode on a DD roller  :surprised:

but as i said johns would make more power if it was not strapped down so tight  :rolleye: even rs tuning said that but due to nos they did not want it to move a mm

....Another probable reason why JKM won't accept NOS cars on their DD rollers: The results aren't going to be especially accurate.

I agree with vRSy about the printout scaling!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2010, 10:55:03 am »
I understand Hurdys being strapped tight, its what I would hae done.

However, what is accurate and what isnt (referring to robins coment)  is irrelevant, what we should be looking at is the power with and without the NOS when strapped in the same way  :smiley:

Thanks for calling in yesterday Sunglasses Ron, sorry about the waiting around for the dyno to become free but I supose you did get a free dyno session out of me :laugh: If anyone wants the graphs to a different scale then just ask, everyone scales their graphs differently, there is no right and wrong way to do it as its down to personal preference.

Rons results back up exactly what we found on our own ED30 when we switched from the Dbilas box to the open filter, I am planning on building some type of heat shield that feeds air from the front air intake in the grille and direct it around the filter, just have to try and get 5 mins to myself!

Dave.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2010, 11:04:10 am »

However, what is accurate and what isnt (referring to robins coment)  is irrelevant, what we should be looking at is the power with and without the NOS when strapped in the same way  :smiley:

....You're absolutely right  :happy2:. I got lost in the moment of just looking at max bhp numbers which I'm usually so keen to avoid doing!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2010, 11:09:45 am »
If anyone wants the graphs to a different scale then just ask, everyone scales their graphs differently, there is no right and wrong way to do it as its down to personal preference.
Dave.
i just think it allows easier viewing of the curve itself and any flat spots/dips in the delivery. why have such a large graph and only use the middle third of the available plot area :happy2:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2010, 11:34:55 am »
I understand Hurdys being strapped tight, its what I would hae done.

Thanks for calling in yesterday Sunglasses Ron, sorry about the waiting around for the dyno to become free but I supose you did get a free dyno session out of me :laugh: If anyone wants the graphs to a different scale then just ask, everyone scales their graphs differently, there is no right and wrong way to do it as its down to personal preference.

Rons results back up exactly what we found on our own ED30 when we switched from the Dbilas box to the open filter, I am planning on building some type of heat shield that feeds air from the front air intake in the grille and direct it around the filter, just have to try and get 5 mins to myself!

Dave.

If you could email me a rescaled graph Dave, that would be great  :happy2: I have PM'd you my email address..  :wink: