Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 question  (Read 3037 times)

Saint Steve

Re: Edition 30 question
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 01:17:34 pm »
Edition 30 is a differnent model to the GTi .

The Dsg is by far more able to handle more power as standard, then the Manual gearbox.

you do know your talking sh1t dont you as the manual gearbox can handle the power its the clutch that over time will start to slip  :rolleye: mine was the first to do it ages ago  :driver: but this is a very easy and cheapish fix unlike some of the dsg cars i know of that the boxes have fooked up big  :signLOL: but thats not for me to say who they are  :laugh: and my gearbox was in bits having the diff done and i asked what the box was like after 54k of driving and they said it was perfect   :smiley:

See reply 6 matt.  :happy2:
Edition 30 is a differnent model to the GTi .

The Dsg is by far more able to handle more power as standard, then the Manual gearbox.

what are you on about  :confused:

Failing clutches Joe :stupid: .What normally happens after about 15+k miles on a mapped manual.

Thats what the O.P was asking afterall :P

Perhaps i should of worded it better , but you seem to be the only one that doesnt  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:19:45 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 01:22:31 pm »
Guys, rather than have a DSG vs Manual brawl and scare the OP off modding completely, shall we just answer the question a bit better?
If this chap is looking at a Stage 1 map and one that is offering only 270bhp, I think it's fair to say neither a manual or DSG box is going to explode into a million pieces and will handle the power fine. Sure some of the earlier clutches don't like an agressive torque curve after a while, but there's also a massive amount of guys that have had no issues what so ever. All down to driving style if you ask me.
If I were new to the forum and read this thread, I would be sh*t scared of modding my Ed30  :surprised: :scared: When we all know that failures are pretty rare and not always down to software, but more lack of mechanical sympathy or being dam unlucky with faulty parts..
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:27:52 pm by Vtec Abuser »

Saint Steve

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 01:27:45 pm »
^^^
I am know ben after some recent storys!! :signLOL:

Dont go overboard. If you cant afford to put it right if it goes wrong then dont. Or have warranty to help you fall back on.

Thats me personally, but its how far you want to take the risk.

But dont get me wrong its an awesome machine in any guise mapped. That i cant disagree with :smiley:

Offline flyboy1976

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 01:33:45 pm »
Steve P is right, its down to driving style and what map and settings you are using, but having driven both they are both great fun in different ways and the paddles on the DSG are a great hoot. I have a manual purely because i cant drive an auto!!! I am now prob pushing 340+bhp on standard clutch but the OEM unit wont last long as its just not designed to handle that kind of power delivery and an uprated one with the flywheel and labour costs will come in at around 1200quid. If you only intend on stage one then the choice is yours, you shouldnt have any probs with either at around 280bhp.

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 01:36:54 pm »
Clutch on mine is a vwr paddle clutch been in for 30k now and was still perfect when it came out for the diff and that's £500 ish fix fitted  :P

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline TopC

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 05:36:22 pm »
Thanks for all the answers. It is a excellent to get so many answers and good arguments. I kind of assumed that someone would have just said something stupid to my questions.

I had a Golf 4 about 6 years ago with repam and it handled the power well. I am a bit afraid about the dsg - if something goes wrong with it, the cost will be a lot more than if something goes wrong with a manual. Putting in a better clutch is not a big deal if the box is ok.

For me what counts is the acceleration in the area of 60 km/h to 140 km/h. Just to make overtaking safe and fun ;).

I am trying to find a good GTI edition 30 from Germany. If everything goes as planned I will get the car next week. With the info from here I will consider the DSG and manual equal for my needs.

T