Make a donation

Author Topic: AAARRRHH!!! Just had a prang!!! How much EXCESS???  (Read 7941 times)

Offline Makaveli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Re: AAARRRHH!!! Just had a prang!!! How much EXCESS???
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 06:45:39 pm »
I think you should speak to elephant and tell them that you are not prepared to be held at fault.  You could also lodge a written complaint with Europcar.  You need to make sure you claim from their insurance and not yours.

Could you please give me a bit more info Stu???  :happy2:

You need to find their insurance details and then contact them advising them that you were hit by one of their insured persons and ask them to tell you how to proceed.

Out of interest, if he was to claim on the other persons insurance... when he came to renew his insurance policy would that count as a claim?

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 07:17:30 pm »
Insurers will ask if you've had any accidents in x months to which his answer should be yes.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Makaveli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 07:36:13 pm »
Insurers will ask if you've had any accidents in x months to which his answer should be yes.
Thanks for clarifying

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 09:18:40 pm »
I'm gutted for you Monte.  I know that junction well and it can be a bit tricky turning right there.  I hope it all gets sorted to your satisfaction mate.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 09:25:29 pm »
Thats sh*t news Carlo on what should have been such a good day for you!  :sad1:

You know where I am if you need any help!  :happy2:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 09:41:38 pm »
^^^Cheers JJ  :happy2: Yeah, you really do need to pull out at least a metre to see around the parked cars!

To all the other replies, thanks for all the comments and advice everybody! I spoke to my insurers earlier and they said that the best they will be hoping for is a "part loss". They said that because of the circumstances, I was in the wrong as I entered the carriageway he was on, but they will fight it as best they can.

Well my no claims are protected, which is good, and by this it means I am allowed 2 claims before I lose any years from my accrued total.

Also, the Excess, although still excessively high, is £800, not £950. So its a bit of better news.

Elephant have left it with me to either take it to Brooklands or find another bodyshop. I will then pay the repairers the £800 excess, and then cross my fingers that I will get some of the cash back at a later date. (although I might as well forget it)

Stu,
Do you think I should still be phoning Europcar tomorrow and asking to speak to their insurers? Elephant will be contacting them too, as they asked me for all the info regarding the other driver. Do you think it will do me any good?

Thats sh*t news Carlo on what should have been such a good day for you!  :sad1:

You know where I am if you need any help!  :happy2:

Cheers Nath  :drinking:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:11:40 pm by monte »

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 10:24:47 pm »
I would mate, there is no harm in doing some leg work yourself so long as you don't prejudice yourself.  All you really need are the insurer details, I assume you have the driver details etc.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 11:41:35 pm »
I would mate, there is no harm in doing some leg work yourself so long as you don't prejudice yourself.  All you really need are the insurer details, I assume you have the driver details etc.

I made numerous phone calls to Albany insurance in order to do some of the leg work, but unfortunately I was either cut-off, put on hold or told that they would call me back about 5 times. I have been told by my insurers that I will probably not get any of the excess back, but they will try their best to do so. So I am afraid I have now accepted losing the cash and I will wait to hear the outcome  :ashamed:

Well I got my car back today and I must say I am really pleased wth the end result  :happy2:
The guys at Brooklands said that they would be repairing the front bumper and replacing the front wing. They said that the bumper didn't justify a new bumper and that it just needed a bit of work and a respray. I was a bit p'd off because I thought at least I would get rid of all the stone chips on the bumper, but they then told me that only the damaged half of the bumper would be resprayed.

I popped in to Brooklands on Monday and they told me the car would be ready for Wednesday dinner time. So today I was set to pick the car up when I received a text message from Brooklands, saying that the car was not ready and that they were waiting for parts.  :confused:

I resisted phoning them (I knew I would end up arguing) and instead I went down at 5pm. I pulled into the car park and a guy had just got out of my car. I had a quick look before I went into the building and it looked finished to me.
I saw the main man and he told me the work had just been done. Apparently, the washer bottle was damaged in the bump so they ordered a new one. The washer bottle that came was one for the Xenon headlights and so had an extra 2 outlets. Apparently they only make this new type bottle now, and if fitted to a car without xenons, it requires 2 plugs for the outlets. These 2 plugs were the parts they needed to order this morning. They arrived this afternoon and so the job was finished.

Good news is.... the car is mint! It also has a BRAND new bumper and wing, so no more stone chips  :happy2: (they said the bumper had broken on the inside, so needed to be replaced)

It made the £800 excess that I had to pay them, a little easier to swallow  :smiley:  Now all I need to do is get the bonnet sorted and the car will be stone chip free  :laugh:

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 07:14:14 am »
Really pleased it's back, & more to the point, it's all good :happy2:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 10:13:36 am »
Glad to hear you are happy with it Carlo, now get it down to Revo and transform it into a beast  :happy2: :star:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 10:16:42 am »
well just think of the excess paying for revo map and dsg map  :driver:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 10:41:32 am »
Great news Carla and good to see you've got it back. Saw your kid the other day (did he tell you?  :grin:) and he said it was in at Brooklands and you were getting it back soon.
When you making the trip to Daventry?  :wink:

Offline MAW73

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 11:40:59 am »
Sorry to hear that and hope it gets sorted soon.
2009 Mk6 Golf GTI / 5 Door / DSG / Candy White / Monza Shadow Alloys / Titan Black Leather / Electric Sunroof / Winter Pack / Luxury Pack / 6 Disc Autochanger / RNS510 / Rear Parking Sensors

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »
Good news chap!  :happy2:

Should've asked them to blow the bonnet over while they were painting the rest!  :wink: