Make a donation

Author Topic: New MK5 Owner  (Read 3535 times)

Offline oldskoolflash

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
New MK5 Owner
« on: July 26, 2010, 12:58:05 pm »
Greetings all, as of today i'm the proud owner of an 05 MK5 GTI  :smiley:. I've had my eye on one for a while but haven't had a spare 10K to splash out, until yesterday....A high milage (150k) appeared on eBay for 6.5K I offered 5900 last night and it was accepted! I picked up the car today, it was all a bit impulive, but I am very pleased with the car, it has full leather, DSG, winter pack, sunroof, full VWSH, 2 cambelt changes, and most importantly one owner from new. I think i've got a bit of a bargain!

I just wanted to ask you knowledgable folk a couple of things:
Firstly, what should I watch out for on a high milage MK5?
Secondly, it has 17 inch alloys with mixed tyres, I really want to change these for the 18inch monzas. There are quite as few copies on eBay (rline?) should these be avoided?  Anyone had any bad experiences?
Finaly, it needs a new tailgate badge/handle - does anyone know where I can get one without spending a fortune at a VW dealer?

Many thanks in advance!

Ben.

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
Re: New MK5 Owner
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 01:17:14 pm »
Welcome Ben!  :pomppomp:

150k  :surprised:, that is a lot of miles! Sounds like a very good price and spec though!

So what colour is your new car, get some pics up!  :happy2:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 01:48:05 pm »
Hi fella :smiley:,

There are help posts on here about the boot handle change, how to remove etc. (do a quick search)

As for the copy wheels, should be ok but not as light as the BBS originals

You could check the Dump valve, or get a garage to do it as it may be an early revision, if you think theres a lack of power etc.

Good luck with the car mate  :happy2:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline oldskoolflash

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:24:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys  :smiley:

I've checked out the boot hande thing, thanks for the tip, it's not really the straighforward job I had expected! Maybe i'll just buy the whole tailgate and handle off eBay, it seems to be the cheapest option!

150K is a lot of miles, but the car feels very good to drive, the steering wheel is worn but the rest of the interior is cracking, and no power issues. The steering wheel does not quite line up straight 1-2 degrees off centre, i'm guessing that this could be wheel alignment or a worn steering rack/column - any ideas?

Here's some pics:

[img width= height=]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_DrMnjwbK-0A/TE2KicUjOaI/AAAAAAAAFmY/OJOLdR2QyDw/s400/photo%201.JPG[/img]
[img width= height=]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_DrMnjwbK-0A/TE2Ki7hJB5I/AAAAAAAAFmk/GpTmAUQMXSY/s400/photo%204.JPG[/img]
[img width= height=]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_DrMnjwbK-0A/TE2KitexHKI/AAAAAAAAFmg/enY37hvPaLQ/s400/photo%203.JPG[/img]

Offline Tara

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • If it doesnt break...your not going hard enough!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 06:25:08 pm »
welcome :smiley:

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:59:46 pm »
Hi and Welcome... :driver:

Boot handle is not too bad, better than changing the boot lid for the sake of a badge, plus also you break all the paint sealing the bolts on the hinges... :surprised:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:46:06 pm »
sh*t the bed 150,000 miles.  :congrats:

your sir are out on your own ledge, dont think there are many if any on here within 50,000 of your mileage.  :notworthy:

welcome on board.  :happy2:

Offline Didit

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:01:41 pm »
Welcome  :happy2:

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:24:23 pm »
Hi mate! I thought I had a high mileage with 50,000! Hope you enjoy, they are fantastic cars.  :drinking:

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 06:49:53 pm »
This medal for bravery awarded to OLDSCKOOLFLASH i recently bought my 2005 GTI with 20k on the clock  :jumpmove: Seriously though VW's are fine high or low mileage.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:52:23 pm by CAPTAIN BRITAIN »

Offline oldskoolflash

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 08:10:57 am »
This medal for bravery awarded to OLDSCKOOLFLASH i recently bought my 2005 GTI with 20k on the clock  :jumpmove: Seriously though VW's are fine high or low mileage.

:signLOL: thanks for this! Let's hope it's still going next week...... :scared:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 09:06:45 am »
Looks like a great car, and from the pic of the interior it looks like it has been very well looked after, especially since the driver side bolster has no creases!  As for the steering wheel try giving it a clen with some mild leather cleaner, mine looked all shiny when I got it and with a good clean and some leather care cream it came up looking really good.

So we can see you have a naked roof without aeriel, so I guess you also have the blue tinted glass and the 10 speaker stereo that the earlier cars came with.  And it appears the original owner nicely specced it out with the armrest, and MFSW, did they also plump for the high line computer? (if you dont know its the larger screen in the between the speedo and the rev counter?

And everyone knows black is the best colour!  :signLOL:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline minty7815

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 09:20:10 am »
Welcome, I thought mine was high milage with 65k.... :congrats:

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 09:31:36 am »

:signLOL: thanks for this! Let's hope it's still going next week...... :scared:

Nice to see you're optimistic!  :laugh:

(I'm sure it'll be jusrt fine!  :happy2:)
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 01:48:51 pm »
Welcome!  :drinking:

For me I'd stay clear of the reps as they are heavier and not as strong as the original Monza/Ronal, plus a decent refurbed set can be had for as little as £600!  :happy2: