Make a donation

Author Topic: MK7 details including suspected engine line up  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
MK7 details including suspected engine line up
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:22:22 am »
Just found this while looking for info or spy shots of the ED35, not sure how true the engine line up on page 2 will be but an R could certianly be interesting with 300bhp...
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/VW-Golf-Mk7-2012-mule-spy-photos/?content-block=0

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
Re: MK7 details including suspected engine line up
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:31:08 am »
220bhp GTD as well could cause a few surprises in the traffic light grand prix!
Ant

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:41:33 am »
220bhp GTD as well could cause a few surprises in the traffic light grand prix!
I hadnt even glanced at the Dervs but that could be an interesting car, and with 4WD!  The wider track on all the cars should be rather interesting, especially if its wider than the current Rocco should be like a go kart!  :driver:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:16:47 pm »
The new A3 is due out next year so it wouldn't be any surprise to see that use the same platform.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:21:51 pm »
And by the looks of it the same 220hp diesel 4WD, Both cars will  be rather interesting!
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Audi-A3-TDI-Clubsport-Quattro-concept-first-pictures/

300hp out the box, 4WD, wider stance, less front and rear over-hang should make quite a package as long as it looks good!

Now if only they could squeeze a longitudinal engine in so we can have 7 speed s-tronic box, and permanent 30 front 70 rear power distribution from full quattro style system......  :popcornsoda:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 01:15:23 pm »
^^^^
Having driven both 6-speed and 7-speed S-tronic boxes I don't feel the 7-speed is of much extra benefit. In practice I hardly used 7th, but I mostly drive a S-tronic/DSG in Manual mode.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 01:18:37 pm »
^^^^
Unfortunately I reckon it's extremely doubtful that Audi would release such an exciting looking car as in those concept pics. It's simply not Audi's typical market, especially for diseasal-minded people. :sad1:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 01:59:06 pm »
Robin is it the Audi longitudinal 7 spd box youve driven or the transverse dry clutch 7 speed?  They are very different units, the audi longitudinal  still uses the wet clutch pack, but with significantly increased clutch plates for a smoother pickup, it also separates the gear and clutch reservoirs to decrease servicing and cross contamination and can deal with a hell of a lot more torque.

And unfortunately have to agree with you re the sporty diesel that would be well outside of ingolstadts comfort zone, shame through as without all the livery that would be one good looking car outside inside and under the bonnet.  It does show the pedigree for the 2.0 220bhp 4WD diesel that was int he MK7 article, including some further details on the torque figures, an 6.6 0-62 time with say combined cycle 30-40 mpg would be very interesting.  Then they just need to extend the rev range and make it sound better and they almost have a car on their hands  :P

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 02:54:42 pm »

Robin is it the Audi longitudinal 7 spd box youve driven or the transverse dry clutch 7 speed?  They are very different units, the audi longitudinal  still uses the wet clutch pack, but with significantly increased clutch plates for a smoother pickup, it also separates the gear and clutch reservoirs to decrease servicing and cross contamination and can deal with a hell of a lot more torque.

....S4 Avant longitudinal. Supercharged quattro with sports diff option  :jumpmove:

Is the Mk6 GTI also 7-speed? I've forgotten. If driving in Manual mode I really don't see the need for a 7th gear but perhaps that's just my driving style. If using 'Auto' D-mode I suppose it improves fuel economy a fraction. The average car buyer is obsessed with fuel economy - I prefer fast performance and driving enjoyment, otherwise driving can easily become a dull chore A-B syndrome leading to boredom and less awareness and decreased road safety. I don't like comfortably numb (unless played by Pink Floyd).

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 03:16:12 pm »

....S4 Avant longitudinal. Supercharged quattro with sports diff option  :jumpmove:

Is the Mk6 GTI also 7-speed? I've forgotten. If driving in Manual mode I really don't see the need for a 7th gear but perhaps that's just my driving style. If using 'Auto' D-mode I suppose it improves fuel economy a fraction. The average car buyer is obsessed with fuel economy - I prefer fast performance and driving enjoyment, otherwise driving can easily become a dull chore A-B syndrome leading to boredom and less awareness and decreased road safety. I don't like comfortably numb (unless played by Pink Floyd).

Nice, bet that was good fun to drive!

No its the same 6 spd, the 7 spd dry clutch cant handle the torque level that the wet clutch can, so unless you go longitudinal you can only get the 6 spd with a bigger engine.

7 speed top gear ratio is 0.62 with a final drive of 4.09
6 speed top gear ratio is 0.71 with a final drive of 4.06 in the DSG GTI

So it would appear that the 7th spd is a massive overdrive gear for motorway cruising, hence you didnt find an advantage in performance terms.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 03:24:17 pm »
^^^^
Indeed it was great fun to drive and felt and handled much more like a smaller car, much to my surprise.

But......

Review plus pics:   http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4979.0.html

I drive M-mode even on M'ways. D-mode only for traffic queues and 20/30/40 zone urban. I never use Cruise Control either.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:26:58 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 04:27:37 pm »
Just read your review, and interesting car especially how the sport differential works.  It is a shame that they have over complicated the sport mode on the box, personally I would have liked to have still seen a sport mode on the box for those moments when you just want to have a burst of speed but your mind on other things than gear changes.  especially as on lower models the driver select system is an optional extra.  :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 04:52:55 pm »
^^^^
I feel the same.. Modern cars are tending to have too many 'automatic' take-control-away-from-the-driver features imo. I think it's very sales marketing motivated.

I'm sure the Mk7 GTI will have some such feature I won't like. I already don't like the DRL's on the Mk6 and much prefer the Golf R / Audi solutions.