Make a donation

Author Topic: Keep the Bluefin or go for Revo?  (Read 24247 times)

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
Keep the Bluefin or go for Revo?
« on: July 29, 2010, 05:08:36 pm »
I currently have the Bluefin handset (kept from my previous golf) and am thinking of a stage 1 remap on the eddy at some point, probably when the warranty expires (or sooner if I get the urge!).

It's a toss up between Bluefin and Revo at the moment, I've had the Bluefin before so want to try Revo.

Am I right in saying you get slightly more out of the Revo, I know people say it's more torquier and aggressive but I think that's how I like it.

What is the idea with the SPS switch, does it allow you to 'adjust' the map?

I also like the fact that Revo is more 'custom' to the individual car, where as Bluefin isn't really.

Has anyone had experience of both maps on an ed30 and any views on them?

Should I just pay £200 to reset the Bluefin, or is it worth spending the extra money for the Revo?? Any thoughts??

Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Keep the Bluefin or go for Revo?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 05:15:52 pm »
Both have their pro's and cons but as you have the Bluefin handset I would say use it.

If it is less than 12 months then I believe they reset for free but either way you will get a bargain.  :happy2:

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 05:23:39 pm »
Both have their pro's and cons but as you have the Bluefin handset I would say use it.

If it is less than 12 months then I believe they reset for free but either way you will get a bargain.  :happy2:

If they'd reset it for free then it would def have to be the Bluefin, but unfortunately I've had it a while.  :sad1:

Thanks for your view Hedge, it's the same as what Saint Steve keeps telling me, just always thought he was being biased though!  :laugh:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 05:35:48 pm »
There are quite a few peeps here who have moved from Bluefin to Revo and report being particularly pleased with the difference.

If you are planning future hardware mods, the Revo allows a far more reliable method of fine-tuning the settings.

You might like to phone JKM - 0239 263 9933 - and ask Keith his private opinion as they sell both. I don't know which he'd recommend but he knows his onions.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 06:09:51 pm »
if your hand set is under 12 months old you have the option to reset it for free and then sell it

i sold my bluefin handset to saint steve as had a similar dilema in the end sold it and went revo on the pirelli

pros and cons to both though, both proven products

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 06:16:36 pm »
I've recently moved from Bluefin to REVO and the car does feel stronger than it did before, but to be honest I've not been blown away so far!
Also your decision will be effected by how far you plan to mod, IMO if you are just planning ST1-2 with the associated mods then stick with what you have, if you plan to go further then the flexability of SPS may be better for the mods required to go ST2+, although bear in mind this route will set you back best part of £700 with the switch.

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 06:18:36 pm »
Revo do the free trial so might be worth giving that a go and see how you get on with it! Might give you a helping hand :)

Saint Steve

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 06:23:32 pm »

If it is less than 12 months then I believe they reset for free but either way you will get a bargain.  :happy2:

If they'd reset it for free then it would def have to be the Bluefin, but unfortunately I've had it a while.  :sad1:

Thanks for your view Hedge, it's the same as what Saint Steve keeps telling me, just always thought he was being biased though!  :laugh:

:innocent:

Stick with what you have Mandy, penny will drop eventually  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:04:00 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 06:30:22 pm »
The REVO free trial isn't ideal and it will leave the software on your car.  I think the BF option is the most cos effective but as you say the REVO will give you more options.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 07:00:37 pm »
@ Mandy:

I dunno the costs but you don't have to buy the user-settable Revo switch (or do Revo only have one switch now?) which is more expensive. You can smile sweetly at male friends and JKM down the road, and they'll alter settings on VCDS for you.

On the otherhand if you've already got Bluefin it's swings and roundabouts and are the extra costs of changing worth it.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 07:13:18 pm »

If they'd reset it for free then it would def have to be the Bluefin, but unfortunately I've had it a while.  :sad1:

Thanks for your view Hedge, it's the same as what Saint Steve keeps telling me, just always thought he was being biased though!  :laugh:

its only about £190 to get new map put on it

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 07:18:04 pm »
@ Mandy:

Basically, all those who are satisfied with Bluefin will recommend it from their own good experiences. As will Revo users do exactly the same.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 07:22:25 pm »
@ Mandy:

Basically, all those who are satisfied with Bluefin will recommend it from their own good experiences. As will Revo users do exactly the same.

Well as I've recently switched between the two I thought my answer was as middle of the road and honest as possible as I have no 'loyalties' with either supplier!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 07:24:13 pm »
from what i have read and heard people say is the stage 1 + 2 on bluefin was great it was only when they went to stage 2+ that they decided to get revo.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 07:25:24 pm »
@ Mandy:

Well as I've recently switched between the two I thought my answer was as middle of the road and honest as possible as I have no 'loyalties' with either supplier!

....Absolutely! Having experienced both I think your answer was the most valid and helpful of all, so far  :happy2: