Make a donation

Author Topic: Keep the Bluefin or go for Revo?  (Read 24274 times)

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
Re: Keep the Bluefin or go for Revo?
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2010, 10:57:39 am »
Right, so I think I might give the Bluefin a try (got my sensible head on  :smiley:)...

I know with Revo, they have the stage 1 map, then they also have the stage 1 DSG map to compliment it...

What is the equivalent on a Bluefin, or isn't there one?

TIA.  :smiley:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2010, 11:28:19 am »
There isn't one I am afraid - the only DSG remaps available in the UK IIRC are GIAC and Revo. Do question your reasoning behind wanting/needing a DSG remap. There are other mods that would be a higher priority for me than the DSG remap. HTH

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2010, 12:42:12 pm »
As Dom says really.  :happy2:

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2010, 12:42:38 pm »
Right, so I think I might give the Bluefin a try (got my sensible head on  :smiley:)...

I know with Revo, they have the stage 1 map, then they also have the stage 1 DSG map to compliment it...

What is the equivalent on a Bluefin, or isn't there one?

TIA.  :smiley:
I got the bluefin done as I got it cheap. but its got me thinking that I should have paid the extra for revo...
It is a vast improvement over stock, but I'm just going to stick with it until next year and get revo done at gti international and save a few quid. I've got no plans for HPFP and exhaust until next year anyway so made sense to me, and I didnt want to pay the extra £500 to get revo done this year( got a big visa bill to pay off first!)
I spoke to kev at revo, and he said they were going to edition 30, so you might get some discount there

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2010, 07:43:31 pm »
Thanks for your input(s)  :happy2:  :pomppomp:

The main reason I said I'm going to go with Bluefin is because it'll only cost me about £200, but like you mention, Heavyd, you said you should've put in the extra for Revo. I'm wondering if I'd think that too once I had Bluefin...

And now that you mentioned about possible discount on Revo... that's just teasing...  :grin:

Don't suppose you know what sort of discount they'll be offering?  :smiley:  :party:
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2010, 01:59:31 am »
Well from my own point of view, I had it in my head from the start I was going to get revo, but I think I only paid £270 ish for the bluefin, so seemed a good deal, as I couldnt afford the extra £500 for Revo this year!!!!!!!!!
If you arent planning on getting anything apart from stage 1, maybe stage 2, then save your money and stay with the bluefin, otherwise, sell the bluefin, make £60, and put it towards revo :wink:
From what I've read, no-one has complained about revo, but have done with bluefin.
It does make a big difference with just the bluefin, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
On the other hand, if you go through JKM rolling road results on their website, some revo dont do very well on their dyno, and come out with less than the bluefins....................
Choice is yours at the end of the day, but I think it worked out pricewise the same for me getting the bluefin and going to inters next year, as it would have driving 10 miles down the road and getting revo at my local dealer so I was told.
 :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2010, 09:28:38 am »
As said before, Revo has the important bonus of being able to fine tune T/B/F settings and this is extremely useful in adjusting to various hardware mods - Each car is individual. I'm not inclined to trust Bluefin's internet route for map revisions.. Too many bad stories. But, available money plays a part.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2010, 10:00:31 am »
Choice is yours at the end of the day, but I think it worked out pricewise the same for me getting the bluefin and going to inters next year, as it would have driving 10 miles down the road and getting revo at my local dealer so I was told.
 :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:

:signLOL:

At least you'd have experienced both!

It's a shame that Inters is ages away...  :sad1:

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2010, 10:08:16 am »
As said before, Revo has the important bonus of being able to fine tune T/B/F settings and this is extremely useful in adjusting to various hardware mods - Each car is individual. I'm not inclined to trust Bluefin's internet route for map revisions.. Too many bad stories. But, available money plays a part.

Thanks Robin, I'm not totally convinced with the 'generic' map idea either, I believe all cars are slightly different in their own way so should be treated individually, I have read one or two bad stories too...  :scared:

Looks like we're back to square one on this...

:signLOL:

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2010, 12:30:13 pm »
If you do go for bluefin, make sure you ring them up before you upload your map, and tell them your car is DSG. Their system automatically selects the manual map, and thats what You'll be sent! the bloke even said that when I rang up.
As far as generic maps are concerned, your cars ECU will change the timing itself if its too advanced or retarded. Bluefin runs less boost than Revo, so you wont have any worries of to much boost, and as far as hardware mods, they do the stage 2 if you put an exhaust on anyway for an extra £50.
Theres yet another spanner in the works for you :P
I'll probably be going to the nevw show this weekend and get it on the rolling road. If the power figures are decent I wont be getting revo done, I'll report back with the numbers :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2010, 01:28:22 pm »

I'll probably be going to the nevw show this weekend and get it on the rolling road. If the power figures are decent I wont be getting revo done, I'll report back with the numbers :happy2:

....It's not all about bhp numbers! :fighting:   What's more important are the shapes of the dyno plot curves and your individual car's driveability.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 01:50:56 pm »
Thanks Heavyd.  :smiley:

I have just been looking on the Bluefin website and it says this:

"Following further file development we no longer need to differentiate between DSG and Manual Models with our software. (12/2008)"

So does that mean they now use the same map for both manual and DSG?  :confused:

I know Robin said it's not all about the figures but it will be interesting to see your results anyway!  :happy2:

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 02:01:15 pm »
Ive got bluefin and have no issues with the software at all. Car is basically factory smooth round town but when you plant it it pulls like a train.

Only issue ive had was a bit of clutch slip however ive managed to adapt to drive round the slip.

Havent used the REVO for comparison tho im afraid

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2010, 02:17:21 pm »
Thanks Heavyd.  :smiley:

"Following further file development we no longer need to differentiate between DSG and Manual Models with our software. (12/2008)"

So does that mean they now use the same map for both manual and DSG?  :confused:

I know Robin said it's not all about the figures but it will be interesting to see your results anyway!  :happy2:

They used to run a torque limited version for DSG which they don't do now.

Trust me when I say you can't run a manual map on a DSG car  :wink:

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2010, 02:18:10 pm »
Thanks Heavyd.  :smiley:

So does that mean they now use the same map for both manual and DSG?  :confused:

I know Robin said it's not all about the figures but it will be interesting to see your results anyway!  :happy2:

I phoned them up after I emailed the map to them, he said ignore the first text message as it will be a manual map, wait until I get the second email before I download the map off them, as it will be for a dsg? I read someone else had problems as they had given him a manual map for his dsg car

....It's not all about bhp numbers! :fighting:   What's more important are the shapes of the dyno plot curves and your individual car's driveability.
If the car only makes 260bhp or less on the dyno, I would prefer to be getting around 300bhp with revo!
Yes theres nothing wrong with the driveability, it just dawdles about  until you plant your foot, and then it just takes off, with the traction control light flashing and the wheels spinning :grin: