Make a donation

Author Topic: Apple coughs to iPhone 3G IOS 4 upgrade problems  (Read 4889 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Apple coughs to iPhone 3G IOS 4 upgrade problems
« on: July 29, 2010, 05:44:28 pm »
By Bill Ray
Posted in Mobile, 29th July 2010 14:12 GMT

iPhone 3G users who've upgraded to iOS 4 are discovering that the roaming switch isn't working any more, for those on O2's network at least.
Apple's new OS isn't running as smoothly as intended; users report the upgrade causes slow-downs and freezes, not to mention draining the battery and running up unexpected roaming bills, all of which should be keeping the Cupertino engineers busy for a while.

Apple confirmed, to the Wall Street Journal [1], that it is investigating reports that some users upgrading their older iPhones to iOS 4 have seen the life sucked from the beloved handsets as the new OS increases the energy drain while slowing down the interface.

Meanwhile several Reg readers have been in touch to report that their upgraded handsets have run up considerable bills while travelling, despite the fact that data connections when roaming were switched firmly off.
All the complaints we've heard, and seen posted on the Apple support forums [2], are from O2 customers, and the operator told us that it's aware of the problem and is investigating the issue in conjunction with Apple.
Whether the problem is restricted to O2's users, or if it's just because there are more iPhone users on the O2 network (or even down to O2 having more customers in the jet set) we've not been able to establish, but if you've upgraded to iOS 4 then take care when travelling abroad.

Luckily, for all its faults, the new OS does include a function to switch off cellular data manually, rather than relying on the phone to detect when it's on a foreign network, which deals with that problem. Still, if your handset is overheating, freezing or just generally running slowly then you'll have to wait for Apple to investigate.

Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/29/ios4_roaming/

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Apple coughs to iPhone 3G IOS 4 upgrade problems
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:44:32 pm »
Oops.

They aint having much luck with the iPhone 4 and iOS4 either are they

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 10:19:32 am »
Ive just sent my iPhone off to repair because of all these problems plus I kept losing network and getting text messages 4 hours late, not being able to make calls or receive them. I should hear back from them soon. If I get the phone back and its still playing up they will send a new one. Lets hope the new one doesn't come with iOS4 on it already.

This winds me up no end !  :mad:

How much money have Apple made out of these phones yet appear to be incapable of creating the most important function of the phone, the OS. They appear to have this "oh lets f*ck over the ones that have old versions and keep the new ones happy" . . . wankers.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 10:26:10 am »
That might be a little harsh Alan  :evilgrin:

I think the problem is that unusually for Apple it may have not been fully tested before release.  You could easily liken it to many other products which are released in haste and then soon after are updated.  It's also made worse by the fact that Apple are in the limelight for the iPhone 4 signal issue.

I think Apple Care is worthwhile in these sort of situations as they have excellent support etc.  I have it on my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini already and will be buying it for my iPhone 4 (My current 3G was secondhand and out of warranty when I got it so I couldn't buy it).  You can buy Apple Care much more cheaply on eBay from US sellers.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:37:09 am »
Possibly harsh but taken from my point of view its been a complete pain the ass ! I've had to deal with sh*t signal and problems ever since OS4. I tried to ride it out but just couldn't take it any more. Its now cost me £30 excess plus £5 postage to try and get it sorted all because of their poxy new OS which offers little to no benefit to the 3G users as 99% of the new features don't work on it. Just winds me up is all.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 10:40:37 am »
my wifes 3g is fooked after the os update its soooooooooo slow and the screen freezes all the time  :fighting: going to try put the old software back on it

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 10:47:22 am »
You cant, I looked into this. It really isnt simple at all and requires a jailbreak and all that crap.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
Stu...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
Stu...

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 12:54:22 pm »
Hummm that looks really simple actually. The one I found was much more complicated than that. Its not a walk in the park though is it. I love how Apple have made it nice a simple to remove their awful OS  :congrats:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 07:48:46 pm »
Same thing has happened to a few of my mates. I haven't got the heart to take the mickey out of them as the Android "Froyo" 2.2 OS is imminent for my HTC Desire and that could go wrong too and I don't want to tempt Karma!
Golf R gone.

Saint Steve

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 07:54:20 pm »
Firmwares are here -

http://www.redmondpie.com/downgrade-ios-4-iphone-3gs-3g-and-ipod-touch-to-iphone-3.1.3-3.1.2-how-to-guide/

Its not as straight foward as that shows Stu. Mr Hedgeman was down the other night here, and couldnt get it to work either :sad1:Something i think in trying to find the ipsw file from the firmware download. Might be a Vista Issue?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 08:35:40 pm »
Yeah you have to save it as a .IPSW in Windowz  :innocent:

I think Windowz will make it a .zip or similar.
Stu...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 08:40:47 pm »
This will show you Steve albeit in a long winded fashion

Hedge now has a fruit based computer, he should have been able to do it  :evilgrin:
Stu...

Saint Steve

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 09:33:45 pm »
Yeah you have to save it as a .IPSW in Windowz  :innocent:

I think Windowz will make it a .zip or similar.
We did that stu, and still wont find the file in my downloads folder.

Ian gave up trying aswell :signLOL: