Make a donation

Author Topic: When to do what?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline billy2shots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
When to do what?
« on: July 29, 2010, 11:27:19 am »
I hace had my Pirelli Gti for nearly a week now and want to give it a bit of a clean this weekend. However as i bought it from a main dealer it was washed and polished when i collected it.

so..... Should i just give her a wash or is their any benefit in polishing?

Also when to wax? Do you just wax after you have polished or can you wax after a shampoo and dry?

Offline icenutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
Re: When to do what?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 01:33:59 pm »
Waxing will almost certainly improve your cars appearance if you apply a half decent product carefully.

It will look infinitely better if you clay the paint before applying a wax though. A cycle of wash, clay, wax can take 4+ hours but is definatley worth it in terms of ease of maintainance and looks.

And then start the slippery slope to detailing obsession...
Get all your sports nutrition products here; http://www.myprotein.co.uk and use the code MP73153 to get 5% off your first order.

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:52:15 pm »
When I brought my car a few weeks back, I gave it a shampoo then clayed the whole car to give the body a glassy smooth finish and get rid of any surface crap. Then I polished it, glazed/sealed it and then waxed it.

All I tend to do now is just shampoo it every 1-2 weeks and give it a quick wax. Makes it shiney again!

I highly recommend claying your car, the difference is qute amazing.  :pomppomp:

Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 01:57:02 pm »
This will quickly become a slippery slope for obsession if you like a clean car lol
Ive got an almightly collection of bits for the car now to keep it clean and shiney and smell nice!

Mandys info sounds good tho! The first time you give it a really good going over, give yourself a whole day, as it will be very time consuming to go over the whole car thoroughly

Everytime i get back home and see if sitting there in the dark with the streetlight gleaming off the polished monza's i just think to myself how good it looks lol
Ant

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 02:19:18 pm »
Depends on what the dealer did. In all honesty, get it properly detailed and then keep it topped up on a weekly basis.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline billy2shots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 03:59:54 pm »
So even though it was polished a week ago should i still wash then polish then wax. Or just wash then wax. Sorry to be a pain but dont want to over polish it if its not going to make any difference.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:08:17 pm »
It would depend what your going to use Billy, would be worth putting up waht product you have or have in mind to give people an idea of what your likely to do.  If your fairly new to detailing probably worth giving the sticky at the top of the detailing thread a read, as that might answer some of your questions.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline billy2shots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 04:14:25 pm »
My plan is to shampoo useing the remainder of some Autoglym (i know :sick:) then polish with some super resin polish then wax with some Dodo purple haze pro. Wheels i will go for Poorboys sealer.

The thing im struggling with is do i need to polish given it was polished 6 days ago. Also if the answer is no dont polish this time, will waxing be ok or do you only wax after a polish. :stupid:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 04:17:20 pm »
The question is how did they "polish" it?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 04:18:48 pm »
So using some super resin polish wont hurt anything, it has virtually or no cut to it and will just fill in any swirl marks, and so will only be worth while doing if the dealer did a rubbish job.  

AS for the wax that will certainly be worthwhile as I doubt the dealer used anything that good, it would obviously be better if you didnt already have a layer of wax down to help with the wax bonding, but there is no reason why an extra layer of wax will be a bad thing.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 04:34:18 pm »
From experience the dealers will have used some cheap arse polish/wax combo product like Turdle Wax so I would get rid of that then apply some quality products like the ones you have suggested. I'm still in Kindergarten in terms of detailing compared to some people on here but can testify to the difference claying, polishing, waxing has on a car. Even if you think you already do a good job, that lot will improve it.

Have a look in the reflection section (http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4219.0.html) and you'll see what a bit of TLC can achieve!

Offline billy2shots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 04:36:42 pm »
Ok thanks for the replys i will give her a wash, polish and wax. Then i know exactly what was done when and can maintain from that point on.

Offline Tuffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 05:15:18 pm »
What colour is your car Billy? If its a dark colour then i would use poorboys blackhole for polishing .
Easy on and off with a fantastic finish. Then top with a quality wax such as collinite.
If your going to wash the car fairly regular then maybe use something like dodo juice born to be mild.
For more help and pointers have a look here  :happy2: http://www.detailingworld.com/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:17:25 pm by Tuffy »

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 08:15:55 pm »
That's why I asked about the dealer "polish" - not likely to be proper stuff, in which case do what you want!