Make a donation

Author Topic: Hey there  (Read 3011 times)

Offline vickster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
Hey there
« on: August 01, 2010, 10:07:11 am »
Bought a Mk5 Golf GTi DSG around 3 weeks ago - 05 reg 3 door, 60k miles, metallic royal blue (not sure what the official name is for the colour, seems pretty rare on the GTi) with checked cloth interior.  

Replaced a Mini Cooper S Works as I needed to get an auto.  The Golf is great fun and very easy to drive quickly, not as rollerskating as the Mini round corners but the ride is a million times better!

Couple of not great pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/13453254@N07/sets/72157624463495614/

Looking forward to reading through the forum and getting to know my way around!  

It has a rather annoying rattle on rough roads round here (am in Sutton, Surrey) - any common things to look for, sounds like it could be coming from (under) the dash or perhaps underneath somewhere?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:09:47 am by vickster »

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Hey there
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 10:53:06 am »
hey welcome to the forum.  :drinking:

not sure what the rattle could be, but I am sure someone will be along just shortly with ideas on what it could be.  :popcornsoda:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 11:16:05 am »

The colour you've got is the rare Laser Blue  :drool: :notworthy: :drool:. VW stopped offering it around 2006(?) - Great colour!

Rattles could be all sorts of things but mostly due to screws getting loose (I have an 05-plate 86,000 mile GTI). Check behind side panels of dashboard when doors are open and tighten anything loose.. That's quite common.

Others will be along to post info about other rattle possibilities. Also a Search might find some threads on the subject - This site is a great resource for info.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vickster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 05:23:48 pm »
Thanks for the welcome guys

I thought it was quite a rare car - that colour, with the 3 doors and DSG too  :happy2:

Another question 

I need to get some oil for the car (thirsty turbo car  :grin: )

Looking at Opie's website - it takes 5W30, 504, 507

I have about 3.5 litres of 5w30 from the Mini (Gulf, bought from Opie), but says 502,505 on the bottle. Is it ok to use this, I have no idea what these other numbers mean (being technically inept and female to boot  :innocent: )

I don't really want to have to spend another £50 on oil when what I have is fine to use up.  Thoughts?  I am told some VW engines are very oil specific...is the 2.0T?

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 05:35:02 pm »
Hi & welcome
I myself have just purchased an 3 door GTI but in silver  :happy2:

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 08:19:10 pm »
Hi and Welcome..... :driver:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 11:15:42 pm »
hi and welcome. 502 is a "time and distance" oil - VW used to recommend this oil for cars on time and distance servicing. However it has now stated 504 spec oils (longlife) which were originally meant to be used on longlife servicing regimes should now be used across the board.

Get some 5W-30 504 spec oil.  :happy2:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 11:26:05 pm »
welcome to the forum..the colour is :drool:

Offline Dav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 12:18:14 am »
Welcome, I like the colour !!

Offline vickster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 07:58:19 am »
Yep, the colour is lush, looks best when clean

So I will need to buy oil, shame.  How much oil do normal non modded cars GTIs tend to use, my driving is mainly urban?  The car had an oil change by the dealer, not VW, I don't know what oil they used, hopefully as per the handbook

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 10:57:07 am »
^^^^
Most people report that their GTI uses more oil in the first few thousand miles and then the consumption settles down. It's best just to very regularly check the dip stick and DON'T wait for the dashboard oil light warning!! Same habit as regularly checking tyre pressures.

Most peeps change their oil every 20k miles - I change mine every 10k miles because she's modified. I change plugs every 20k miles.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Saint Steve

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 01:40:03 pm »
^^^^
Most people report that their GTI uses more oil in the first few thousand miles and then the consumption settles down. It's best just to very regularly check the dip stick and DON'T wait for the dashboard oil light warning!! Same habit as regularly checking tyre pressures.

Most peeps change their oil every 20k miles - I change mine every 10k miles because she's modified. I change plugs every 20k miles.

Really?  :chicken:

I Wish that was all cases :sad1:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 02:28:04 pm »
^^^^

Really?  :chicken:

I Wish that was all cases :sad1:

....I don't quite understand, Steve.. Am I wrong about this? Or are you saying that oil consumption continues to be relatively heavy in most cases?

Saint Steve

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 02:28:53 pm »
In mine it does Robin. Oil consuption hasnt got any less, if any its slightly worse now.

Sorry Vickster  :ashamed:. Welcome to the forum  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 02:33:56 pm »
@ Saintly Steve:  vickster was asking about oil.

I wonder if the frequency of an oil change/service affects oil consumption. I can't see the logic of it doing so, but.