Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG box on 08 ED30 jerky pulling away..  (Read 7506 times)

Offline wingnutLP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
DSG box on 08 ED30 jerky pulling away..
« on: August 01, 2010, 07:05:07 pm »
My recently bought 08 plate DSG is jerky pulling away from a standstill in first. It is perfect through all of the other gears.

The jerkiness is only pulling away and happens whether in D, S or manual. The car has done 50k miles and has recently been serviced by the previous owner.

About 50% of the time it pulls away smoothly the other 50% it jerks a couple of times as you get moving. It is almost like it is dipping the clutch a bit.

I thought that it was something that I would learn to find a way around by using a different amount of throttle but if there is a way to get it to consistently pull away smoothly I can't seem to find it.

Any suggestions?

If it is an 08 plate will it still have VW warranty at 50k miles? (I ought to know this I know!)

Saint Steve

Re: DSG box on 08 ED30 jerky pulling away..
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:05:53 pm »
 DSG Mechantronics unit fella by the sounds of it.

Like someone has bad clutch control from trying to pull away.

and yes it will be a warranty job. Get it done asap

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 07:58:04 pm »
Yep deffo sounds like a Mechatronic issue.

As Steve says get it in for a Warranty job ASAP as you don't wanna be paying for it yourself.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:06:46 pm »
As above. Just had mine replaced as was doing the exact same thing. About £900+ if you don't get it done under warranty  :scared: Was your DSG box serviced @ 40k, as if not you better have deep pockets  :scared:

Offline wingnutLP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 08:49:51 am »
I did not check the exact work done at each service but it was bought from a dealer as FVWSH so if the appropriate stuff hasn't been done I will be returning the car to them!

How long and how many miles is the VW factory warranty?

Saint Steve

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:51:17 am »
I did not check the exact work done at each service but it was bought from a dealer as FVWSH so if the appropriate stuff hasn't been done I will be returning the car to them!

3 years.. 60k?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:01:16 am »
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warranty/factory

We go to great lengths to ensure that you are happy with your purchase.
That's why when you buy a new passenger car from an authorised Volkswagen retailer in the UK we'll provide a Factory Warranty to cover you against defects and repairs for the first three years. You will receive:
A 2-year unlimited mileage manufacturers warranty.
A further 1 year / 60,000 miles (whichever is soonest) warranty.
This means you're covered for a total of 3 years or up to 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:36:15 am »

It should be fine mate. Just check in the service book and look at the 40k service check list to make sure the DSG service has been ticked.. If it's got a FVWSH (Dealer) then it will be fine..

Offline wingnutLP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 09:50:57 am »
It is booked in for Wednesday and they have tentatively said that the work will be covered under the manufacturers warranty.

What happened to the legendary bomb proof VW?

I love the car but it is a bit of a surprise to find such a big problem with it already. I should have picked it up in the test drive I suppose but th ewhole DSG thing was so new to me that I think my mind was on other things...

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 10:34:49 am »
It is booked in for Wednesday and they have tentatively said that the work will be covered under the manufacturers warranty.

I love the car but it is a bit of a surprise to find such a big problem with it already. I should have picked it up in the test drive I suppose but th ewhole DSG thing was so new to me that I think my mind was on other things...

Any car can have it's problems mate so don't panic about it having an issue already. I may of had mine changed recently but that is only the 2nd warranty claim the car has had in 57k and 2 years. The first one was whiteworm on the rear VW badge which wasn't really that bad either.
So all in all it's been pretty much bullet proof (touch wood)  :scared: :grin:

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 05:17:47 pm »
sorry to sort of hijack the thread.

Im going to view a car on weds - ive phoned up VW already to check its service history (all is well) its had various bits replaced under warranty. It had the mechatronics unit replaced last year. Now, its on 36k so obviously the 40k service is up. does anyone know if the DSG oil and filter replaced when they change the mechatronic unit?

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »
sorry to sort of hijack the thread.

Im going to view a car on weds - ive phoned up VW already to check its service history (all is well) its had various bits replaced under warranty. It had the mechatronics unit replaced last year. Now, its on 36k so obviously the 40k service is up. does anyone know if the DSG oil and filter replaced when they change the mechatronic unit?

Yes mate, they change the oil if they replace the mechatronics unit regardless of how recent the last service to the DSG box was..

Offline wingnutLP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 08:12:24 am »
Thanks for the speedy diagnosis, it was indeed the Mecatronics unit. It is on order from VW and will take around 4 weeks.

Offline blackburn

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 02:54:33 pm »

Mine was the same they dont start playing up till it is hot so test drives were fine once i had done a few miles and it was hot it did every thing you are saying. mine was done under warrenty. Its just failed on me again so vw have ordered me a new unit just waiting for it to arrive :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:56:25 pm by blackburn »

Offline wingnutLP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 06:42:30 pm »
Well, mine is now sorted and the car feels fantastic :)

I need to get used to it kicking down when you boot it as it can be a bit unnerving. Driving in manual is probably the answer but the auto mode is making me lazy!

Thanks for your help.

Alex