Make a donation

Author Topic: Lambs wool wash glove  (Read 2138 times)

Offline searly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
Lambs wool wash glove
« on: August 04, 2010, 11:20:01 pm »
After a lot of reading up on washing your car , I purchased the above .  Have been very impressed with the results . But after 4 months ( gets used once every 2 weeks ) , it has completly fallen  apart.  Is this common and can somebody advise on something better or a make that lasts longer .  after every use , I put in the washing machine on a cool short wash and liquid cleaner only , is it this that is causing the problem

Offline gazjones

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Design portfolio
    • Email
Re: Lambs wool wash glove
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 12:21:09 am »
Hi Mate,

I've only got a Mequiars microfibre was mit and tend to only wash that by hand after I've used it. It could be the washing machine that's causing the problem but I've never used a lambs wool glove so I'm not really sure.

Try giving it a hand wash from now on (when you've bought a new one) and see if that helps?

Gaz

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:24:49 am »
Common problem if the mitt hasn't been looked after properly. Proper lambswool mitts need to be washed and dried properly or they disintegrate.

Don't use a washing machine or tumble dryer. After washing the car, rinse the mitt, gently wring the excess water out and then let  it dry naturally - like normal sheep dry! The internal "glove" needs to be dried or it will turn rotten and disintegrate too.

Personally, after detailing the car, I rinse my mitt in the shower, then hang it using a coat hanger in the bathroom. The hanger is a metal wire one that's shaped so it opens up the inside of the mitt (to allow air to reach it to dry) without stretching the wrist elastic. Other people have used a plastic bottle cut out to fit inside the glove to keep the inside open and aerated.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:34:30 am »
I have had my sonus one since nov last year and its still going strong, its been in a machine wash twice but i prefer to hand wash it. I have tried a few cheaper versions but they have shrunk and the insides gone hard. As stealth says looking after the mitt helps in its longevity.

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:33:27 am »
I always rinse mine out in the sink at home with warm water and run my fingers thru it to make sure all the dirt is off it. Then rinse it again in clean water and then shake some of the water off it and let it dry naturally the rest.
Had mine a few months now and its still as good as new :)
Ant

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 11:34:48 am »
^^^^
As everyone has advised: NEVER machine wash it! As I found out the hard way with my first one.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 01:37:48 pm »
Common problem if the mitt hasn't been looked after properly. Proper lambswool mitts need to be washed and dried properly or they disintegrate.

Don't use a washing machine or tumble dryer. After washing the car, rinse the mitt, gently wring the excess water out and then let  it dry naturally - like normal sheep dry! The internal "glove" needs to be dried or it will turn rotten and disintegrate too.

Personally, after detailing the car, I rinse my mitt in the shower, then hang it using a coat hanger in the bathroom. The hanger is a metal wire one that's shaped so it opens up the inside of the mitt (to allow air to reach it to dry) without stretching the wrist elastic. Other people have used a plastic bottle cut out to fit inside the glove to keep the inside open and aerated.

Couldn't have said it better ourselves!  :happy2:

Taryn and Jim  :smiley:

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 02:32:34 pm »
Hi Mate,

I've only got a Mequiars microfibre was mit and tend to only wash that by hand after I've used it. It could be the washing machine that's causing the problem but I've never used a lambs wool glove so I'm not really sure.

Try giving it a hand wash from now on (when you've bought a new one) and see if that helps?

Gaz

I've also got the meguiars micro fibre mit, I have used it once so far and put it in the washing machine, it came out fine, Don't know how many times i could reapeat that before it falls apart.

Offline searly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 09:45:31 pm »
Thank you for the  advise ,  Will purchase a new one soon and change my cleaning methods.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 11:36:35 pm »
Couldn't have said it better ourselves!  :happy2:
Unfortunately I went through four wash mitts before i found that out! :scared:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 02:41:25 pm »
Well you certainly sound like you've learnt your lesson well!!!  :smiley: