Make a donation

Author Topic: Which drying cloth?  (Read 2516 times)

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Which drying cloth?
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:42:19 am »
Following the helpful tips in this section, I dumped my wash leathers for a Megs microfibre drying cloth. While it works well from dry, it is difficult to wring out well. It also has poor pickup when damp, and is leaving areas of paint with watermarks. I get the feeling that if I could run it through an old laundry mangle after each panel it would be faster & dryer.
So guys & gals, do you have any recommendations for a cloth that performs better?
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Re: Which drying cloth?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:56:11 am »
Chemical guys miracle drying towel.......its HUGE......and it works a treat.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 09:58:18 am »
Thanks Boothy. Are these readily available online? Doesn't sound like the sort of thing I'd find at Halfrauds.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:19:33 pm by LouCyffer »
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:00:02 am »
I use Autoglym Hi-Tech Microfibre Car Drying Towel it's about 60cm x 60cm perfect size.
I can dry the whole car (golf) without wringing once and leaves no smears,
When i do eventually wring it it's so effortless because of it's size.
I put it in the wash recently and it came out like new.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:40:52 am »
Keep the recommendations coming guys. Thanks, Cap

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 02:07:05 pm »
Thanks Boothy. Are these readily avaiable online? Doesn't sound like the sort of thing I'd find at Halfrauds.

I just used Google to find one. Think it was £12 plus delivery so not a bad price.

I too have the megs towel that is difficult to ring out. It did dry well until I washed it with my clothes and the fabric softer stopped it absorbing properly. Now I use the miracle towel which in all honesty is big enough to dry the hope car without wringing it out. Then use the megs for the sills etc.

Saint Steve

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 02:11:25 pm »
Autoperfection's super Bath towel, is fluppin awesome. Will almost soak up as much as your bath holds without no streaking!

Best Buy for sure.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 08:10:23 pm »
I had a couple of CG miracle dryers. They're okay but what works fab is autoperfection's towel. Can't remember the name of it but it's double the thickness of other towels about about four times thicker than the Miracle Dryer. I wanted another one but they're having issues with sourcing them.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 09:18:19 pm »
Noticed they are currently listing them as Out Of Stock. Shame as it's the only towel so far with more than one recommendation.

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 09:32:09 pm »
I've been having good result's with Sonus Der Wonder drying towels.   Never seem to need to wring it out, just keeps on drying.  Don't use softner when washing it and it come's out like new.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 12:47:58 pm by Cupra R »

Offline chip20

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 8
    • http://absolutevaletinguk.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 09:54:21 pm »
I have bought this for now.Untill they get the other ones in!
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Autoperfection-Big-Blue-Microfibre-Drying-Towel.htm

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 08:06:33 am »
Chip, what do you think of it, mate?

Offline chip20

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 8
    • http://absolutevaletinguk.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:17:02 am »
Hi mate.Only used it a couple of times.It drys the car ok for me!

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 10:45:25 am »
The problem we have with our towels at the moment doesn't seem to have any light at the end of the tunnel  :sad1:, which is why we've sourced an alternative to offer...

We tried and tested several samples that were sent to us and we weren't really happy with any of them, as we didn't feel that they offered the same absorbancy levels and value for money as our Super Plush did, however, we then found the Big Blue and after spending some time using it and washing it and drying it etc. we felt sure that it was an excellent alternative and one that we were happy to put our name to.

The Sonus Der Wonder towels are a good option, however, they're a waffle weave material so aren't as thick and fluffy as some others. 

For us our number one recommendation would have to be our Big Blue followed by the Sonus Der Wonder.

Alternatively, if you did want to go for something that was as thick as the Super Plush, we do a buffing cloth that's the same double thickness as the Super Plush Drying Towel, but it's only half the size so you'd probably need to get two of them for drying a car with.

Hope this helps

Taryn and Jim  :happy2: