Make a donation

Author Topic: Newbie alert  (Read 7740 times)

Offline wheels-inmotion

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Newbie alert
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:19:55 pm »
New boy on the block saying hi.....

My names Tony, married with two wallet robbing teenage daughters. My daily drive is a Lotus Esprit 2.2 turbo, nice car but it has no respect for the price of fuel......

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Newbie alert
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 03:30:33 pm »

A Warm Welcome, but I'm curious why you have joined this forum as it's so 2.0T FSI platform based. Or am I displaying my ignorance of the Lotus's?

[I've got one teenage daughter but she never asks me for any money and costs me very little! I don't understand people saying that having children is expensive.. It needn't be]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:59:30 pm »
Hi Tony,

I know you from Briskoda. Tony is extremely knowledgeable regarding chassis alignment or the dreaded "tracking" and "4 wheel alignment" terms that people use without knowing.

I am sure all will be revealed in the fullness of time.  :wink:

Offline wheels-inmotion

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 04:07:25 pm »
I've been hovering for some time, it's only polite to join and say hi. It's a nice well run forum with a friendly atmos.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 08:04:02 pm »
Hi and welcome. Nobody will hate you for posting pics of your car. :party:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline wheels-inmotion

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:37:04 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome peeps.... I will post picts of the car once i figure out how? Basically she is the same type of Lotus used in the Bond movie, she's 19yrs with 10k on the clock, so absolutely mint. I always liked the Esprit since i grew up with the Bond film but i was actually looking for a Countach ( Cannon ball run super car ) after looking for a year with no real luck the Esprit turned up and what caught my eye was the index, J4 TBO, well my name is Tony Bones.... It had to happen.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 08:57:50 pm »

A Warm Welcome, but I'm curious why you have joined this forum as it's so 2.0T FSI platform based. Or am I displaying my ignorance of the Lotus's?

tony willl be a great addition to this forum, he works for/runs(correct as necessary) wheels in motion which to be fair is widely renowned as being one o the best chassis tuning garages in the UK.  his posts on briskoda and the WiM forum are excellent.  very very knpwledgable person to know or have at your disposal when it cones to chassis tuning.

welcome tony :happy2:

maybe a post on your capabilities would be handy

Offline wheels-inmotion

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:34:14 pm »
Shhh you'll get me thrown out of here  :ashamed: With respect to traders and admin i don't talk about my business, but since you have opened the door, yes my field is suspension and chassis dynamics, with a smattering of aerodynamics. If i'm honest the reason i've been watching the forum is there's some issues with the MK5 and i wanted to see how prolific they are, i didn't like the way some other VW forums where run or the attitude of some members so i have been watching here. I like the way admin police this forum and members seem to really get along, in view of this i would like to devote some time here.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 09:40:15 pm »
Hello and Welcome Tony.

Thanks for your positive comments on the site and our members  :happy2:

Once your up to 10 posts drop me a PM and I will let you know how things work with traders on the site  :smiley:

Offline wheels-inmotion

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 09:58:24 pm »
Will do..... I'm not actually looking to be a trader but if i have to go down that route sobeit. My posts here would only be informative in order to respect other traders but help members.

In truth wim station has no room for anymore trade and our 35 satellite centres are also at capacity, the last thing i need is more and in truth booking delays could be disappointing for members.

The reason i've attached to this forum is the admin control is superb, the members attitude is fantastic so i have a great platform for research without the usual keyboard worrier pecking every post.

I'm a forum virgin at the moment but once i find my feet i hope to explore members chassis concerns and maybe have a free club meet at the centre to get a more global overview of the cars chassis.

I think it would be polite to say why i need to research the MK5? There is issues with the rear camber/ toe positions, the resulting wear generates a "heal and toe effect" this in turn makes a sound like a bearing had gone. I need research cars to establish new positions to belay the heel and toe wear.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:03:03 pm by wheels-inmotion »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 10:06:44 pm »
i know laurent here has had some issues with only a small input trying to st his car up

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16370.msg248177.html#new

the sound you are talking of, was a common occurance on the octavia vRS, the factory released new alignment settings which cured this.  it caused a droning sound, and saw toothingof the tyres etc

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 10:07:59 pm »
Will do..... I'm not actually looking to be a trader but if i have to go down that route sobeit. My posts here would only be informative in order to respect other traders but help members.

In truth wim station has no room for anymore trade and our 35 satellite centres are also at capacity, the last thing i need is more and in truth booking delays could be disappointing for members.

The reason i've attached to this forum is the admin control is superb, the members attitude is fantastic so i have a great platform for research without the usual keyboard worrier pecking every post.

I'm a forum virgin at the moment but once i find my feet i hope to explore members chassis concerns and maybe have a free club meet at the centre to get a more global overview of the cars chassis.

I think it would be polite to say why i need to research the MK5? There is issues with the rear camber/ toe positions, the resulting wear generates a "heal and toe effect" this in turn makes a sound like a bearing had gone. I need research cars to establish new positions to belay the heel and toe wear.

Welcome on board Tony. Just dive straight in, and start realigning our ideas on set-up. correct suspension set up gets largely ignored on here if truth be told, as there are very few members who know there onions in this field. Its normally power plus more power.  :laugh:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 10:09:58 pm »
Hi Tony,

I to know you from Briskoda and also paid you guys a visit last year.

Welcome to the Forum :happy2:

Offline wheels-inmotion

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 10:38:15 pm »
Thanks for that..... Trust me i'm not the sort of person to take the mick, if i need to pay trader fees then in respect for other traders i will, assuming the terms are reasonable, nevertheless i cannot support a trade section because i simply don't have the time.

About me.....

I've devoted all my life to chassis dynamics and most of my later years trying to explain the industry does not understand it's own industry?

I was self taught for the first 15yrs ( no Internet and all that ) I trained to be an instructor and then passed my ProDrive chassis course, from here i decided to remain in the public arena rather then go into the manufacturing side of things, i then left my current employ of 25yrs to open wim, that was nearly three years ago.

In the past three years i have made remarkable inroads within clubs and forums opening the awareness "Alignment the big con", by holding free club meets this has been further explained, see here> http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/simplegallery.php?id=1&button2=View+Gallery suddenly members get the real picture.

Meets are great, i get to explain this geometry tabbo and members get a chance to meet/ greet and eat, in fact Sept 26th we have Supercar Sunday meet with a few million pounds worth of cars attending, everyone is welcome.

Back about me....
I have taken on the might of Merc, BMW, Mazda, Lexus, Honda and so on when they have got it wrong, never had to challenge VW though!! I arbitrate for Peugeot Uk and Vauxhall UK but so far never agreed in their favor.

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 12:01:28 pm »
Hi and Welcome along... :driver:
Cheers,

Wayne