Make a donation

Author Topic: Getting alloys sorted under warranty  (Read 9700 times)

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
Getting alloys sorted under warranty
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:00:13 pm »
One of my Monza II's on my '57 Mk5 GTi has been infected with the dreaded white worm.  The car is still under warranty and was wondering if I am likely to come up against much resistance from my local dealer in trying to get that sorted along with all my corroded VW centre caps?  I get the feeling from some previous posts that some dealers are more willing to put things right for folk under warranty than others.  I've never had a car with a warranty on it before so I'm on new ground in that respect and don't know how receptive they'll be or how assertive I need to be.  I'll make sure the car is spotless when I take it down there to show I'm the caring sort of chap...!

Cheers all.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Getting alloys sorted under warranty
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 05:03:01 pm »
if its got white worm and it has not been done by curbing, then your dealer will be happy to replace them, they can charge VW for there time.  :happy2:

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 05:06:01 pm »
Cheers Top Cat  :happy2:    That gives me some reassurance.  I've been going to the same dealer Solihull VW for years and they seem a good bunch.

It's not been kerbed,  It looks like a stone chip has cracked the laquer. 

Thanks.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:07:58 pm »
Even if they say no, all you have to do is keep trying dealers, until you find a skint desperate one.  :laugh:

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:21:13 pm »
JJ I called into my local dealer today with a small amount of white worm on all 4 of my Monza 2's (Jan '08 car). The warranty manager said that because there were signs of kerbing on my nearside 2 (done before I took ownership) they wouldn't be done. Specifically he said that the guidelines he had to go by were if the worm area was bigger than the kerbed area, VW would replace. If the kerbing was bigger, no go.

So I only get to have the offside pair replaced. No point arguing with him, but I'm not happy. Think I'll be making a phone call to VW. Although I can see their point, I fail to see why I have to put up with wormed wheels when the defect is around the wheel nut recesses, and not around or as a result of kerbing.

:sad1:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 05:32:20 pm »
Ha!  Thanks for that top tip TC!

Yeah, I can see their point point too Lou.   It's worth a phone call though eh?  Knowing what you've just told me, I'd be disappointed if my claim wasn't looked upon favourably as it's clearly not kerbing that's caused the white worm.  I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction  :smiley:

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 07:45:18 pm »
The wheels were replaced under warranty on my car a week before i had it so its all down to finding a helpfull dealer :happy2:

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:18:46 pm »
I went down to my local dealer looking to get 1 replaced but ended up getting 3 done!!

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 08:24:27 pm »
I went down to my local dealer looking to get 1 replaced but ended up getting 3 done!!

I think that's commonly known as a "Result"!

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 08:25:49 pm »
If Solihull wont replace I know Listers Stratford will. I had all of my centre caps replaced and they said if the wheels go they will do them too! They also said about the badge on the boot handle...... :happy2:

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 08:34:17 pm »
Cheers markymark.  I'll bear that in mind  :happy2:

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 08:49:27 pm »
I've had a chat with VW customer services. They want me to take my car back to the dealer tomorrow so they can have a 'technician's report' & photographs sent to them. I can expect a reply within 2 days.

I'm not quite sure how this is going to pan out. after all, there's very little corrosion. Butit hasn't been caused by the damage, and that's the line I'm taking. The white worm has struck on all the wheels, irrespective of damage. If all else fails, I'll set sail to Stratford...

Sorry to hilack your thread JJ
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:06:30 pm »
When I had my car serviced at 3yrs old I mentioned the wheels as the warranty was about to run out.  When I collected the car they informed me they had ordered me 3 new wheels due to white worm, the 4th wheel I'd had refurbed.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 10:46:32 am »
Well, the dealer's taken some photos of the nearside wheels this morning, so we'll wait & see what VW will come up with.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 04:49:38 pm »
VW called this afternoon to say that they won't replace the remaining wheels, as 'the corrosion could have been caused by force applied to the wheelnuts'. (Hmm, despite this being a foreseeable situation for wheels, then?). They said that it was the dealer's decision, and although in their view, if the dealer was changing the 2 unkerbed wheels for corrosion away from the rim (which they are), they should be changing all 4. But they can't tell the dealer to do that (oh, really?). And that wheels aren't a VW warranty item.

Kinda (actually hugely) annoyed. Will have to visit the dealer again to have a full & frank conversation about this.