Make a donation

Author Topic: Standard Fuel  (Read 4096 times)

Offline Mr Punch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
  • Has Pulled Cables At A Resonable Level
    • Email
Standard Fuel
« on: August 04, 2010, 11:23:38 am »
I have been running my GTI on Tesco / Momentum 99 since purchasing it.

Can I use standard unleaded fuel 95 Ron?

I have a company car fuel card that only purchases Standard Unleaded Fuel......I would like to take the GTI sometimes just to give it a run and leave the company car for the Missus &  the Piglets.

Obviously I am not going to pay for the fuel myself and put miles on the GTI....I would not mind taking it on the odd Business trip if I can use Standard Fuel.

Would it do the car any harm as I notice on the fuel cover cap it states 98 Ron.

Regards
I Always Wanted A Black Golf GTI Now I Have One...Yippee

Offline Dandan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Standard Fuel
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:07:07 pm »
Hi!
My fuel cap says 98/(95).
What I've red 98 is recommended but 95 wont do any harm what so ever to your car. Not so sure tho if your car is remapped?
Some people might say you'd feel the difference in power but atlest I was not able to notice any  between 95 and V-power (mrs had purchased around 25liters 95 and did not dare confess until after a month  :signLOL: )

Oh and my car is 2005 standard GTI.

Yours - Dan
Best things in life are not things.

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 12:12:32 pm »
Lots of threads on this!

When I got my car I was told that it will quite happily run on 95 but use a tank of super every 5 tanks or so.  I have been running mine mainly on 95 since I've had it (nearly 4 years), and only use super if I have a Tesco voucher or I find a Shell garage which is cheap enough!

When I have used several tanks of super in a row, I don't notice any difference in performance or mpg.

Others will disagree though...

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 12:19:05 pm »
i always use 95ron and will for another 3hours them my car will have a 99ron map on it  :jumpmove: :jumpmove: :jumpmove: :jumpmove: and i wont be able to use 95 any longer!

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:50:35 pm »
You should be ok to use 95 Ron I'm sure the ecu can tell what fuel is in and changes things accordingly but I'm sure for the engine to run at its best your better with super unleaded

Offline FamilyDub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • ...who needs a diesel?
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 01:51:29 pm »

There can - according to VW - be issues with the 95 RON causing deposits and damaging the cat, but to be fair, the increased price per litre of the 99 RON is offset by the increased economy that it gives.

After a few tanks, the ECU will recalibrate the map for better power.

What about suggesting to your employer they reimburse you for the price of a litre of 95, and you pay the rest...?  Best of both worlds?
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr, Family-Spec | 17" w/anthracite Finish | Manual | Highline | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 02:14:24 pm »
Just try filling up with 99 RON on the fuel card.  I'm pretty sure it will work.

Nasir

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 02:50:13 pm »
The car is made to run on 95 octane but more power is available on 98 (which is what is recommended). That's why the fuel cap says 95/98.

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 03:19:47 pm »
Sure 95ron increases valve wear, and carbon deposits in the head?
Didn't jonny c discover this on his S3 when he purchased it back,

Nasir

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 03:45:17 pm »
I think legally it has to be able to run on 95 ron

Offline Mr Punch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 04:22:48 pm »
Hi!
My fuel cap says 98/(95).
What I've red 98 is recommended but 95 wont do any harm what so ever to your car. Not so sure tho if your car is remapped?
Some people might say you'd feel the difference in power but atlest I was not able to notice any  between 95 and V-power (mrs had purchased around 25liters 95 and did not dare confess until after a month  :signLOL: )

Oh and my car is 2005 standard GTI.

Yours - Dan

Mine is a 2005 standard GTI also. :wink:

Just try filling up with 99 RON on the fuel card.  I'm pretty sure it will work.

Yes thats worth a try like  :happy2:

Thanks for all the feedback guys... I was happy just to put 95 in until  FamilyDub & Jaywoo-GTI posted  :scared:

I'll have to think about it  :confused: :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 04:29:38 pm »
AS said above there are alot of threads on this, car has been designed to run on high octane fuel, but can happily run on standard 95 fuel.  The ECU will however have to retard the engine timing, and reduce boost to avoid engine knocking, and this will decrease power and based on consistent driving style increase fuel consumption, details of engine knocking can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

It will basically run fine on both, but if you do a little calculation then buying super isn't that much more expensive per tank, then its just a question of how quickly you go through a tank, and then as the saying goes you pays your money and makes your choice.........

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:48:45 pm by Richn83 »

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline FamilyDub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • ...who needs a diesel?
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 04:46:35 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback guys... I was happy just to put 95 in until  FamilyDub & Jaywoo-GTI posted  :scared:

^^^ Didn't mean to cause a kerfuffle!  :ashamed:  :signLOL:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr, Family-Spec | 17" w/anthracite Finish | Manual | Highline | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

Offline Mr Punch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 05:22:48 pm »

^^^ Didn't mean to cause a kerfuffle!  :ashamed:  :signLOL:

you never mate...... It's just me being cautious  :happy2: