Make a donation

Author Topic: Can a dealer tell if you have chipped your car?  (Read 3195 times)

Offline wingnutLP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
Can a dealer tell if you have chipped your car?
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:22:49 am »
Can a dealer tell if you have chipped your car bluefin or otherwise?

Some say yes, others say no...

It seems to me that if the bluefin handset can read your map to back it up then a dealer ought to be able to?

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Can a dealer tell if you have chipped your car?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:56:36 am »
Do you mean with the chip removed, or with chip still on the car

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 09:10:55 am »
As I recently posted in a similar thread: A dealer, usually a techmech, who is used to test driving his work on a car will be able to tell simply by how the car drives. It's best to be honest with your dealer and find one who is honest with you and isn't bothered if you are remapped.

Even more important is to declare all your mods to your insurer. I'm by no means a goodie-two-shoes who never breaks the law (I live by my own moral laws and not what a bunch of guys in parliament decide) - I'm advising this in your best interests.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 04:06:50 pm »
It all depends how switched on and competent the stealer is.

And whilst RedRobin is correct that the stealer tecchy might know the car is faster than normal, this doesn't always ring true - dealers have always been adamant that my GTI was remaped (before I actually did remap it), and the same for an Astra I used to own - all based on how well the car went!

At the end of the day, it is very easy for them to check the ECU flash count - and if there is any doubt, the stealer simply hooks up your car to Germany, and will not only interrogate the actual flash count, but also weather the software is genuine OEM.  They may then try reflashing with their latest OEM software, and may then toast your ECU.

You really do need to be honest with your stealer, if nobody else on this issue.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 04:41:39 pm »
In short yes. ANY dealer (if they are prepared to do it) can tell if your car is mapped.

Even REVO style (who depending on who you speak to say it can't be) there are numerous ways

Flash Counter style for bluefin, Shark etc that takes your original Map alters it then flashes it back.

Checksum - for the likes of REVO where they write the data to an unused area of the ECU

Or if they want to go the whole hog they can do what TT has already posted.

As said you are better off just declaring it. At least then you will know where you stand with the dealer regarding warranty work etc.

Offline Pummy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:16:47 pm »
Here is one for you guys then.  What about if you purchase one as an approved car WITH mods and maps with the warranty intact?  How transferable is that warranty in that case?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 05:20:17 pm »
If you purchase a car from the dealer that you know to be modded then you need to get it from them in writing that they will honour any remaining Warranty be it new car or VW Used car warranty.

What you may find though is that if something goes wrong and they do honour the warranty they will only replace with OEM parts & not like for like.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 09:29:33 pm »
If you purchase a car from the dealer that you know to be modded then you need to get it from them in writing that they will honour any remaining Warranty be it new car or VW Used car warranty.

What you may find though is that if something goes wrong and they do honour the warranty they will only replace with OEM parts & not like for like.
Exactly - if it is sold from a genuine VW franchised dealer, then the car will have to comply with all the caveats and benefits of the VW UK 'aftersales care'.  So if it has say had a remap, and the engine goes bang, the stealer is duly obliged (both under the VW UK 2nd hand warranty, and also under the general Sale of Goods Act) to fix it.  And wilst they might argue about fitting only OEM parts - if say it was advertised with a Milltek and the zorst fell off, they WOULD definately have to supply a new Milly and not OEM.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:21:54 am »

You really do need to be honest with your stealer, if nobody else on this issue.

....Honesty pays every time - You can't have good relationships with people unless you have two-way honesty.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!