Make a donation

Author Topic: target 280bhp advice please  (Read 6659 times)

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
target 280bhp advice please
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:59:21 pm »
im wanting to start tuning my gti just now it is standard except stage 1 bluefin i want to aim for 280bhp i want some advice on mods to do including suspension and brakes upgrades i dont do track days i doubt i would get insurance for a track day as i pay loads just for road use lol

should i get lowering springs or coilovers?
r32 brake kit or better?
ARBs front and rear or just rear?
WALK kit
engine mounts, what ones?
forge twintake any better ideas?
miltek turbo back exhaust
stage 2 on bluefin only £50 is stage 2+ free if you have paid for stage 2?
hpfp which one?
would i need an intercooler?
stock DV or forge? just incase it goes

would i get 280bhp with these mods or would i need anything else to achieve this or would i need any other handling mods or performance mods

any advice is appreciated

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: target 280bhp advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 09:08:46 pm »
mine:

Ap coilovers
walk
r32 brakes
rear eibach arb

autotech HPFP
miltek TBE
ITG CAI
Bluein stage 2+ map

i recon it will be around 280ish

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 09:17:46 pm »
how do u find the r32 brakes and the stage 2+ map from superchips

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 09:20:11 pm »

i have yet to load my stage 2+ map...so ill keep you posted  :P

im not the most mechanical, but can tell you they made a massive improvement on standard brakes.

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 09:29:01 pm »
are superchips going to charge u an extra £50 for stage 2+

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 09:41:12 pm »
yea i bought a 2nd hand bluefin handset, got it reset £200 and they put stage 1 on when you register the device. Then i had to pay another £50 for 2+

But cost me alot less getting it 2nd hand than getting it new or going to revo. (not that i have anything against revo)

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 07:25:15 am »
I got my bluefin for 250 second hand that was it reset so was not worth paying a fortune for revo even tho its meant to be better

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:08:17 am »
mine:

Ap coilovers
walk
r32 brakes
rear eibach arb

autotech HPFP
miltek TBE
ITG CAI
Bluein stage 2+ map

i recon it will be around 280ish

my bluefin stage 2+ WITH itg made 287Hp on AMDs rollers before they had them calibrated.  on jkms rollers it made 251Hp.  which would make sense because it couldnt keep up with a stage 2 shark performance car or stage 2 revo car both of which were running less mods and no HPFP upgrade.

250Hp is pretty much the same as 3 other bluefin stage 2+ cars that i have seen on DD on those rollers, all of them have also now changed from bluefin just as i did.  the bluefin stage 2+ map isnt to bad, in fact is a massive improvment over the stage 2 i had, but its still below par in comparison to others, but you wILL not make a realistic 280Hp on a good dyno.  more like a 250-260Hp.

if you want to get 280 you will need a different more aggressive map and even then 280 is a hard target.  aim off for between 270-280Hp and 300Ibft.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 06:00:31 pm »
im wanting to start tuning my gti just now it is standard except stage 1 bluefin i want to aim for 280bhp i want some advice on mods to do including suspension and brakes upgrades i dont do track days i doubt i would get insurance for a track day as i pay loads just for road use lol

should i get lowering springs or coilovers? i had coilovers, and prob wouldnt do it again. it was great in germany on smooth roads and on track, but once back in the UK the pot holes made it ridiculous.  id say spend the money on tt lower control arms, or an Limited slip differential.  both i think will make the car much more usable on the public roads than the coilovers would.

r32 brake kit or better? the R32 brake kit is a nice upgarde, but you could go for the new porsche caliper upgrade from daveB on here, that has had some very good write ups and is cheap on consumables.  alternatively, why not just uprate your pads, brake hoses and fluid, and you braking power will be massively increased.

ARBs front and rear or just rear?  im more o a fan of the front and rear bar, than just the front.  look into eibach, H&R, and whitleine. all will be drastic improvments over stock

WALK kit-excellent mod, best paired with ARBs

engine mounts, what ones?  to be honest the only one you need is the uprated lower mount(not the insert its a waste of time IMO)  the side and transmission mount are the icing on the cake really http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/tfsimotormounts.htm#tfsi

forge twintake any better ideas?look into the forgew twintake, evoms V-flow, and ITG maxogen.  prob the top 3 intakes on the market

miltek turbo back exhaust you dont require the full exhaust.  the cat back ehaust will gain you 1-2 HP over the stock, but you will get a meaner sound.  the performance gains are in he downpipe and sorts cat.  this is the main restriction.  ALso consider blueflame and piewerx, both cheaper than miltek and of the same quality.

stage 2 on bluefin only £50 is stage 2+ free if you have paid for stage 2? it was for me, but that was ages ago.

hpfp which one?autotech is the best value for momoney and used by most people on here.  backdraft motorsport also do they're own version of the pump internals as well.

would i need an intercooler?  you can run stage 2 on the std intercooler, but boost and timing would all have to be lowered to keep the heat to a minimum.  for instance my car at stage 1 really struggled with the inlet temps going through he roof, resulting in quite drastic heat soak.  if yu look in the dynp thread at my graphs you can see it on all of them.  The forge, THS and S3 intercooler are both very highly regarded.  the S3 will be the cheapest, but that and the THS intercooler take a fair while to fit.  the forge twintercooler is more expensive but easier to fi, so by the time labour and parts are totaled tey will probably even out

stock DV or forge? just incase it goes  just stick with the standard revision D diverter valve.

would i get 280bhp with these mods or would i need anything else to achieve this or would i need any other handling mods or performance mods
as i said in the previous post, you wont get 280Hp with bluefin stage 2+.  but if you want to get as close as possible, you would also be wise to look into getting either the neuspeed turbo discharge and charge pipes, or the SFS discharge and charge pipes to help the flow of air.

have a look at some of these reviews

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4261.0.html
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9988.0.html
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6995.0.html
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9477.0.html
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9698.0.html
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,651.0.html
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5864.0.html
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3571.0.html

they should answer a few of your questions

sy :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:03:28 pm by vRSy »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 11:19:23 am »
Are you fitting these yourself or having them fitted for you?

With all those mods wouldn't you be better off swapping for an Edition 30 as you will make more power with just a simple remap? Although if you want it to handle as well then the suspension mods wouls still be an outlay :happy2:

should i get lowering springs or coilovers?
r32 brake kit or better?
ARBs front and rear or just rear?
WALK kit
engine mounts, what ones?
forge twintake any better ideas?
miltek turbo back exhaust
stage 2 on bluefin only £50 is stage 2+ free if you have paid for stage 2?
hpfp which one?
would i need an intercooler?
stock DV or forge? just incase it goes
Golf R gone.

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 01:52:40 pm »
one word mate insurance lol its 3000 pound a year for a standard gti never mind an ed 30 all special edition cars have high insurance for me plus its more of a hobby for me to buy parts every now and then if i can fit them i will but more than likely i will get some1 else to do it i would love an edition 30 but dont think i could get one for the price of a standard gti whats the cheapest you can get one nowadays anyway

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 01:55:10 pm »
I've seen them at £13k
Golf R gone.

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 01:59:16 pm »
i paid 11k for mine and im still paying it up so doubt i ould be able to trade it in and pay off the finance yet ive only had it 6months and ive got it looking how i want now paint work wise im guessing it would be a lo spec ed 30 for that kind of money

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 02:08:50 pm »
Yep. Base 3dr manual in red is the cheapest I've seen
Golf R gone.

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 02:16:08 pm »
i would be wanting a 5door cos i have a baby to get in and out the car and id prefer manual red black or white would do and they are fairly well speced standard with half leather and 18" bbs id like a pirelli edition how much do they go for u never see them anywhere about my area