Make a donation

Author Topic: Broken Down  (Read 4109 times)

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Broken Down
« on: August 07, 2010, 03:33:22 pm »

Just had to make a quick trip back into work, when my motor died at junction.  The car was idling at the time and the revs just fell away.  Luckily I wasn't an obstruction to any traffic. 

Called in a favour with mate for a tow but after giving it five mins it restarted.  Managed to get it home but it was a bit lumpy at times. 

Got it parked up now and the car revs fine all the way to 5-6k but after a 20 seconds of idling it just dies with no warning lights!

I have been suffering from a stutter/hesitation issue when under 3/4 to full throttle at 3-5k which I put down to coil pack /spark plug issue which hasn’t logged any faults.  I just hope this latest incident will indicate something when it’s scanned.

Anyone else suffered from a similar issue?

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
Re: Broken Down
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 03:49:14 pm »
Sorry to hear this, sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare.

Glad you managed to get it home safely, I hope you get this sorted out soon...
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 03:57:04 pm »
I had an issue where my engine was cutting out without warning. No juddering etc. Just died. Started up again fine, drive a bit more and then cut out. Unless I kept the revs high, it would cut out quickly. Turned out to be the fuel pressure sensor.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 04:18:51 pm »
I had an issue where my engine was cutting out without warning. No juddering etc. Just died. Started up again fine, drive a bit more and then cut out. Unless I kept the revs high, it would cut out quickly. Turned out to be the fuel pressure sensor.

Thanks for the response, could you provide a bit more info on the fuel presure sensor like location, cost,  time to fit?  Also could it be the cause of the stutter/hesitation I'm experience when I'm pressing on?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 04:39:28 pm »
Thanks for the response, could you provide a bit more info on the fuel presure sensor like location, cost,  time to fit?  Also could it be the cause of the stutter/hesitation I'm experience when I'm pressing on?
I didn't have issues with stuttering at the time. Drove fine unless it cut out.

Happened about 18 months into warranty so done free of charge. It was a thirty minute job by the garage but the stealers had the car for a week and didn't do anything until Friday lunchtime (it broke down on Saturday morning/midday).

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 04:50:44 pm »
Worst feeling n the world having your car die on you when your out and about

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 06:20:40 pm »
I have been having a very similar issue with my Ed30 and its cost me almost £600 so far without a fix.  :rolleye:  I haven't had time to really sort it out as I am abroad, but basically I left my Ed30 parked up outside for 2 months last October to December and when I returned I noticed my car just did not give me that confidence when redlining... there was something not quite right.  After a week of driving, it just cut out on me and I suspected the DSG, but waiting for 5 minutes and turning the ignition worked and it was 'fine'.  Then I noticed occasional erratic idling when at traffic lights with the revs going up to 2k and then back down to 1k.  

I left for Saudi after 2 weeks and returned a month later in January.  The problem was still there and I noticed hesitation in acceleration if I really put my foot down and I was in the UK for 3 weeks this time and the problem got progressively worse.  The car started cutting out in February when I was back in Saudi and it left my wife stranded on a dual carriageway and in town on a couple of occasions.   :fighting:   The idling was quite bad by this time and I got VW Wolsey to look at it.  They replaced the low fuel pressure sensor as there was a fault code on it and did a test drive for 10 miles and said it was now fine and I was £140 lighter – my wife had it back and after 2 days the problem reappeared?!  

I then got it trailered to JKM in Portsmouth as I suspected the mods on the car may have something to do with this.  They found fault codes with the lambda sensor and the high fuel pressure sensor and replaced them and testing the car for a few days with no issues.  I picked the car up from JKM when I returned to the UK this March and this time I spent £300+ on the bill.  It was fine on the way back and I ‘tested’ it just to make sure and there were no problems.   :driver:

I left again in late March and my wife rang me a week later saying the car was playing up AGAIN?!!!   I was like WTF is going on?   :jumping:  I then decided to wait until I got back in June.  On my return in June I tried to start the car for a good 10-15 minutes but it would just start for 5-10 seconds and cut out.  I then put the ROSS-TECH cable on it and did some diagnostics and found the following faults:

Wednesday,23,June,2010,00:19:02:01199
VCDS Version: Release 908.2
Data version: 20100326

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: 1K0
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 15 16 17 19 25 37 42 44 46 52 55 56

VIN: WVWZZZ1KZ8W040317   Mileage: 71500km/44428miles

00-Steering Angle Sensor -- Status: OK 0000
01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
37-Navigation -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
55-Xenon Range -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine        Labels: 06F-907-115-AXX.lbl
   Part No SW: 1K0 907 115 T    HW: 8P0 907 115 B
   Component: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI     0010  
   Revision: 5BH16---    Serial number: VWX7Z0G43NT8XI
   Coding: 040300031C070160
   Shop #: WSC 13110 796 395046

2 Faults Found:
004243 - Bank 1; Fuel Measuring System 2: Malfunction
               P1093 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00101000
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Mileage: 71494 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 12:58:01

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1480 /min
                    Load: 56.1 %
                    Speed: 35.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 82.0°C
                    Temperature: 29.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 1040.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 13.970 V

004506 - Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247): Malfunction
               P119A - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Mileage: 71498 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 14:24:21

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1660 /min
                    Load: 71.0 %
                    Speed: 47.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 82.0°C
                    Temperature: 34.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 1050.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 13.843 V

Readiness: 0000 0000

I also took live reading of the fuel pressure against requested fuel pressure, lambda sensor readings and rpm and sent the result to JKM.  Keith at JKM told me that there was an underlying problem here as it looked like the high fuel pressure sensor was playing up again… that’s 3 destroyed in 2 months of light driving?!  :rolleye:  I called the RAC and told them that the car needed towing to the local dealer and he asked me to try and start the car first.  I thought the guy was crazy as I had explained the whole history, but to humour him I turned the ignition and told him it would cut out within seconds – it didn’t… then I said, well it won’t get past the front of the driveway and I started to drive it.  The damn thing drove all 15 miles of the journey to VW Wolsey  without missing a beat?!!  Really confused and embarrassed the hell out of me.  :ashamed:

VW Wolsey replaced the high fuel pressure sensor – another £100 gone.  The car drove for a week before playing up again.  Then it worked again after a day of resting… then not and so on.  I really am confused as to what is going on.  Its on its way to storage now, but I am having it trailered back to JK next April to see if they can sort it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:25:05 pm by illyun »

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:56:02 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^

Jesus, what a nightmare !
From the codes it defo sounds like it's the sensor, if I was you I make sure that who ever is checking it next time doesn't just replace the sensor but check the connectors and wiring as it could be a bad connection somewhere external to sensor but within the sensor circuit, might be worth a try mate !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 09:45:45 am »
^^^^^^^^^^

Jesus, what a nightmare !
From the codes it defo sounds like it's the sensor, if I was you I make sure that who ever is checking it next time doesn't just replace the sensor but check the connectors and wiring as it could be a bad connection somewhere external to sensor but within the sensor circuit, might be worth a try mate !

Nightmare is defintely the word.  I had a lean fuel issue before this and that was related to the fuel pressure sensor too - it was listed incorrectly in ETKA so when they replaced it, it made no difference even though it was the culprit!  It took JKM three months and a LOT of dignosticsto sort that issue out... and I really hope I am not going down that road again  :jumping: