Make a donation

Author Topic: your thoughts on vwr solid engine mounts  (Read 8438 times)

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: your thoughts on vwr solid engine mounts
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 01:49:33 am »

Also these engine mounts, didn't one snap on your car?

Really?!  Whats that about Mat?  I'm getting paranoid about my mounts now  :scared:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 01:55:28 am »

To the OP, I had BSH uprated  mounts on my Ed 30, and I absolutely hated them.  The noise that is craved by some detracted from the overall feel of the GTi in my opinion.

Be prepared to loose some of the refined, jack of all trades nature of the GTi.

Not tried the BSH so I can't comment on those.  However, I don't particularly like the extra noise, although for the handling improvement it has given me, I am happy to put up with it - although as I said I may compensate by getting shot of the non-res Miltek.  

The car has definetely lost some of its jack of all trades nature from a certain perspective as it is now a lot harder and uncompromising package than standard.  However, from another perspective, this is what makes the GTI such a versatile beast as it is relatively easy to mod and 'customise' to the kind of spec you want.  I will be using the Ed30 as a weekend/show and track car when I return back to he UK and I plan on putting the galactic mileage that I do onto my Mk6 that arrives at the end of this month.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 08:24:52 am »

Really?!  Whats that about Mat?  I'm getting paranoid about my mounts now  :scared:

....Is this fact or rumour?

Either way, I've got faith in my VWR engine mounts and the support which VWR/RL give.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 08:38:12 am »

To the OP, I had BSH uprated  mounts on my Ed 30, and I absolutely hated them.  The noise that is craved by some detracted from the overall feel of the GTi in my opinion.

Not tried the BSH so I can't comment on those.  However, I don't particularly like the extra noise, although for the handling improvement it has given me, I am happy to put up with it - although as I said I may compensate by getting shot of the non-res Miltek.  

The car has definetely lost some of its jack of all trades nature from a certain perspective as it is now a lot harder and uncompromising package than standard.  However, from another perspective, this is what makes the GTI such a versatile beast as it is relatively easy to mod and 'customise' to the kind of spec you want.

....As reported on this forum, BSH, VF, or VWR, harder engine mounts will transfer sounds and (very minor in my experience of 'Fast Road' mounts) vibrations to the cabin - You don't have to be a qualified engineer to realise or understand that. And of course not everybody likes that. But as illyun says, the GTI can be modified, or not, to the owner's individual taste and there's been a tradition of doing so for 30 years.

This public forum is a rich source of information and each of us can choose according to our individual preferences.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:13:19 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 09:11:46 am »

To the OP, I had BSH uprated  mounts on my Ed 30, and I absolutely hated them.  The noise that is craved by some detracted from the overall feel of the GTi in my opinion.

Not tried the BSH so I can't comment on those.  However, I don't particularly like the extra noise, although for the handling improvement it has given me, I am happy to put up with it - although as I said I may compensate by getting shot of the non-res Miltek. 

The car has definetely lost some of its jack of all trades nature from a certain perspective as it is now a lot harder and uncompromising package than standard.  However, from another perspective, this is what makes the GTI such a versatile beast as it is relatively easy to mod and 'customise' to the kind of spec you want.

....As reported on this forum, BSH, VF, or VWR, harder engine mounts will transfer sounds and (very minor in my experience of 'Fast Road' mounts) vibrations to the cabin - You don't have to be a qualified engineer to realise or understand that. And of course not everybody likes that. But as illyun says, the GTI can be modified to the owner's individual taste and there's been a tradition of doing that for 30 years.

This site is a rich source of information and each of us can choose according to our individual preferences.

Agreed RR, and open and honest long may it remain.

The hard mounts will invariably stress other areas, such as inner wings etc.  when I fitted mine, I torqued them up several times when fitting and when taking them off after miles few, 2 of the bolts were loose.  I recommend using a decent (not the cheapest) thread locking agent or check torquing the bolts periodically.

The noise produced is actually a vibration that will have an increased wear affect, it will reduce the fatigue life of welds, hard mounted components etc, and if you do fit them, keep a weather eye on other components.

Remember if you decide to leave the well trodden standard path, expect an increased maintenance burden, periodic checks, and reduced life of other hard mounted components. 

Upgrade one area, and you will eventually had to upgrade the next........

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 10:10:57 am »

The hard mounts will invariably stress other areas, such as inner wings etc.  when I fitted mine, I torqued them up several times when fitting and when taking them off after miles few, 2 of the bolts were loose.  I recommend using a decent (not the cheapest) thread locking agent or check torquing the bolts periodically.

The noise produced is actually a vibration that will have an increased wear affect, it will reduce the fatigue life of welds, hard mounted components etc, and if you do fit them, keep a weather eye on other components.

Remember if you decide to leave the well trodden standard path, expect an increased maintenance burden, periodic checks, and reduced life of other hard mounted components.  

Upgrade one area, and you will eventually had to upgrade the next........

I can see the point you are making Stokeballoon, but what about the engine movement with standard mounts... surely that causes wear to other parts?  While I am not an engineer, it seems to me that there is a trade-off and compromise involved whether you have a standard set-up or a modified one.  Obviously VW have engineered their package to provide an acceptable driving experience for the GTI market and if thats what most people are happy with, thats fine.  Also, while I am sure that the VW setup has a longer shelf life than an aftermarket modified one - although exactly to what extent I am not sure and that depends how far you want to go - the issue is not black and white because for example, you might go back to the standard mounts thus relieving stress from vibrations etc... but then reintroduing engine flex also comes with its own issues and puts stress on other parts.  

VW Driver magazine have a Mk4 track car that has covered over 250,000 without major issues - until the engine blew recently  :evilgrin: - and that is a heavily tracked car.  I wonder how much longer it would have gone without the mods and 'abuse' - 300,000 miles?  I can't really see that modding would reduce the shelf-life of a car from say 300,000 miles (and who really keeps their car for that long or does that many miles) to say, less than 100,000 miles which would represent a significant risk if it were the case.  Also, there are many other factors involved such as care regime - a standard car would also have a reduced shelf life if not taken care of - and people who tend to modify their cars generally are more conscious about the level and quality of maintenance it recieves.  

So I can understand that someone may have not personally like a mod for whatever reason, but I don't think its simple as assuming that a mod will only cause stress to the existing set-up without comparing it to the reciprocal benefits in terms of freeing other components from other types of stress.    However, saying all that, I do have a bit of a gripe with people who write up before and after mod reports and do not mention the negatives that come with the package, only for you to find out when you do it yourself   :fighting:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:39:11 pm by illyun »

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 10:27:31 am »
If looked after (ie a decent care regime) decent upgraded parts will last just as long.  However you first need to be aware of this extra care required.

A race car does not have a standard road going off the shelf shell.    I also agree that a review should be warts and all.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 12:01:49 pm »
^^^^
Good advice, Dave  :happy2:

I'll get my bolts chequed on my next 10k mile service (not too far away).

Personally I always try and include any 'warts' in my reviews, and certainly any negatives as I see them. Often the warts aren't evident until after significant mileage.

:happy2:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 12:25:42 pm »

I'll get my bolts chequed on my next 10k mile service (not too far away).

I think thats sensible... I'll be doing the same too next year  :happy2:

Offline Dandan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 12:42:55 pm »
I think I might be the only one with all 3 race mounts  :evilgrin:

Sorry Matt but I think I beat you to it... I had all 3 solid race spec aluminium mounts installed by Mark at VWR March 2009  :P  As for the ride, its true that it really does increase the noise level and you can feel the vibration as you move off.  It amplifies all the sounds from the engine bay and because I have an EVOMS CAI, it sounds like I am sitting next to Darth Vader at times  :grin:   The transformation it gives to the handling and movement of the car is nothing short of astounding.  No more wheel hop, the car just moves forward when you put your foot down with no lurching whether from standstill or driving on the motorway and turn the steering wheel left and right and you can see that the response had improved signficantly.  I also have a non-resonated Milltek and that can get boomy at motorway speeds so I may change back to the resonated pipe but apart from that I am happy with it. 

P.S. My wife has driven the car with our 1 year old and a 5 year old children in the car on long distance journeys - Ipswich to Birmingham - and around town and they are fine with it so stop being a wimp and get them  :signLOL:

No guys you are all wrong, i was the first in the world ever to get them, in fact i think i was the first in the universe, No i am wrong  again i was the first to get them even before the big bang.  :grin:

I'm pretty sure Chuck Norris had these first?
Best things in life are not things.

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 01:56:38 pm »
I think I might be the only one with all 3 race mounts  :evilgrin:

Sorry Matt but I think I beat you to it... I had all 3 solid race spec aluminium mounts installed by Mark at VWR March 2009  :P  As for the ride, its true that it really does increase the noise level and you can feel the vibration as you move off.  It amplifies all the sounds from the engine bay and because I have an EVOMS CAI, it sounds like I am sitting next to Darth Vader at times  :grin:   The transformation it gives to the handling and movement of the car is nothing short of astounding.  No more wheel hop, the car just moves forward when you put your foot down with no lurching whether from standstill or driving on the motorway and turn the steering wheel left and right and you can see that the response had improved signficantly.  I also have a non-resonated Milltek and that can get boomy at motorway speeds so I may change back to the resonated pipe but apart from that I am happy with it.  

P.S. My wife has driven the car with our 1 year old and a 5 year old children in the car on long distance journeys - Ipswich to Birmingham - and around town and they are fine with it so stop being a wimp and get them  :signLOL:

No guys you are all wrong, i was the first in the world ever to get them, in fact i think i was the first in the universe, No i am wrong  again i was the first to get them even before the big bang.  :grin:

I'm pretty sure Chuck Norris had these first?

No that can't be right as I saw Mr Norris come in and ask Mark at VWR about them after I had mine fitted.   :innocent:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 06:44:37 pm »
No that can't be right as I saw Mr Norris come in and ask Mark at VWR about them after I had mine fitted.   :innocent:
What illyun failed to mention is that Chuck Norries was so peeved off at him, he roundhouse kicked illyun's car and the engine mounts flew off and landed on Chuck's car.

This is also why illyun's car suffers from problems. It still hasn't recovered from the devastating effect of Chuck Norris. :grin: :grin: :grin:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 06:47:48 pm »
Slightly OT but -

Robin i need a ride in your car at the JKM RR day in Sept as i need to see what these mount's sound like and the coilover's feel like before i decide if i want them or not :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 08:00:21 pm »
Slightly OT but -

Robin i need a ride in your car at the JKM RR day in Sept as i need to see what these mount's sound like and the coilover's feel like before i decide if i want them or not :happy2:

....I'd be delighted to oblige  :happy2:

Btw, the DD day is October 9th:   http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15796.0.html

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 08:07:02 pm »

....Is this fact or rumour?

Either way, I've got faith in my VWR engine mounts and the support which VWR/RL give.

That is a fact Robin, mine has snapped again that makes it 2.

I think its because i dont have the side mounts which hold the engine better.

Its not the actual vwr bit thats snaps, its the dogbone bar that connects to the vwr bit and the engine.

Getting the vwr lower subframe bit taken out for a THS density mount very soon, ie this weekend. So there may be one going in the for sale section for around £100 :happy2: