Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheely startin' somethin'  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Marty

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Wheely startin' somethin'
« on: August 09, 2010, 05:19:02 am »
Hi guys,

Ok, I have had my candy white '08 GTI for a month now and am already feeling an itch needs to be scratched. I blame all of you! Yes, you!

First a disclaimer, I'm totally new to this so please go easy if I ask stupid questions.
At the moment the car is all stock. The first thing I'm looking at is changing the wheels from the standard 17"s to 18"s. I am usually a very OEM kind of guy but due to a number of white GTRs and what looks like an M3 Competition that have black rims, I can feel myself being drawn to the dark side.
I have done a search and found Redrobin's posts from this time last year where he got some OZ Alleggeritas (in titanium if I remember right) which look beautiful. I also like the look of the Ultras and the Superturismo GTs.
OK, so questions:
1. Does anyone have any pics of black alloys on a stock car? (with the black side skirts etc). I've only found them on ED30s. I will probably have the skirts changed to white to match anyway but I can't afford it all in one go.
2. Are alloys that come under the banner of 'race' also okay for everyday road use?
3. I assume if you up the wheels to 18" that you don't have to change the spare as the rolling radius stays the same with the lower profile tyres? (Very stupid question?)

Thank you for your advice,
Marty

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Re: Wheely startin' somethin'
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:03:28 am »
Welcome Marty.

1. There are photos of CW cars with black alloys. Try in members rides section, or go to the Candy White thread and browse.

2. I personally wouldn't use race spec alloys on the road. There is an issue with robustness, and pot holes. Race alloys are made be be lightweight above all else, and you may find they don't stand up as well to the 'high quality road surfaces' that you'll encounter in the UK

3. You need to change nothing else but the alloys. As you correctly say, the complete diameter of wheel & tyre remains the same as long as you fit a recommended size tyre (225/40R18 for Monza 2 or other 18 inch rims)

Finally, guard your bank balance. It will be harmed by being a member of this forum     :grin:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Marty

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:16:31 am »
Welcome Marty.

1. There are photos of CW cars with black alloys. Try in members rides section, or go to the Candy White thread and browse.

2. I personally wouldn't use race spec alloys on the road. There is an issue with robustness, and pot holes. Race alloys are made be be lightweight above all else, and you may find they don't stand up as well to the 'high quality road surfaces' that you'll encounter in the UK

3. You need to change nothing else but the alloys. As you correctly say, the complete diameter of wheel & tyre remains the same as long as you fit a recommended size tyre (225/40R18 for Monza 2 or other 18 inch rims)

Finally, guard your bank balance. It will be harmed by being a member of this forum     :grin:

Many thanks for all the info LouCyffer. Do you have any suggestions of other wheels that I could look at similar to the OZ Alleggeritas, Ultraleggeras or Superturismo GT if these lack the robustness needed for road use. I'm not expecting you to research for me but if you could just give me a few brands that I can look for myself? I live in Singapore where the roads are generally well maintained with few potholes but still don't fancy spending a few grand on wheels if one ends up an ellipse!
Yep, the bank balance could be a problem. I already have in mind a Milltek exhaust with Revo Stage 1. Damn you all!

Dandan, cheers for the pics and the link, very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Marty

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:24:33 am »
You're welcome :happy2:

The best non OEM wheels I've seen on a GTI for ages are the steel grey multispokes that SteveP put on his Mk6 after he shifted his Phaeton alloys. Drop him a pm, and I'm sure he'll enlighten you. Even had VW centre caps in them, too.

I'm not an aftermarket alloy animal myself, but I'm sure a few of the forum brains trust will weigh in with some recommendations.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:26:17 am by LouCyffer »
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Marty

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 11:35:22 am »
 :happy2:
Cheers for that. I'll check Steve's wheels.

Marty

Offline Dandan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 11:42:57 am »
Here's a great thread in another forum with loads of different wheels  :happy2:
http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66

Dont know if this helps. Might actually make things worse  :signLOL:  Too many nice wheels!!  :jumping:

EDIT: Yeah, roads in Singapore looked pretty damn good when I visited there on my South-East Asia tour last year! Not too many can cruise every day on a F1 circuit  :wink:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:48:03 am by Dandan »
Best things in life are not things.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:36:29 pm »
^^^^
Noticed mention of OZ Alleggerita's and I've had mine on for quite a few thousand miles which have included trackdays at Spa and VLN Nurburgring and fast road use. No probs so far and I really love the improved feedback they deliver.

My Review:   http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8152.0.html

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Marty

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 02:47:39 pm »
Cheers Dan, I think you've gone and made it a whole lot worse!  :confused:
But hey, better to be spoilt for choice than have no options.  :happy2:

Thanks for the input Robin. It was reading about your Alleggeritas that really pushed me in that direction. Good to hear you are still happy with them.
I think this is going to be a much more complicated a decision than I had originally anticipated. One I am going to enjoy!

Many thanks guys, all input is much appreciated.

Marty