Make a donation

Author Topic: Interesting Day with Porsche..............  (Read 3567 times)

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Interesting Day with Porsche..............
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:54 pm »
When I bought the Cayman, I did a deal to include a 1/2 day Porsche experience day at Silverstone.

Well today was the day.  And what a day!  Pitched up at 0830 had a mini Full English (that's what they called it!) a couple of Coffee's and met Mike (trainer for the morning).

Bit of a track briefing and away we went.

The car I drove was a Cayman S manual with GT2 Seats (£3250 EXTRA) and Ceramic brakes (£6000 extra).  I was a bit sceptical given the weather, but away we went.

We started on the handling circuit, nothing too high speed, maxed out about 75mph, but it is a series of bends, some sweeping, some sharp, some off camber, but all designed to test your smoothness out, and show you what the car can do.

We set the seat up, and checked the circuit was clear and off we went, Mike showed the lines, and F'in hell he was so smooth and quick.  I swapped seats (what an option BTW) - Google pic (I forgot to take one!)

and off we went, we left the car in 3rd, it will pull from low down right up to 100+, so no need to change.

Lots of laps followed, and I got the hang of things, the main thing that impressed me was how composed the car was.  I was behind a Turbo S for quite a few laps, and whilst he got away on the straights, we clawed him in on the bends.  The ceramics came into their own, and were fantastic (have i got a spare £6K?  Had a look and sadly no!) Truly face pulling off stuff!

The Turbo driver pulled in and we had a go at the Ice Hill,basically a plastic tarmac road covered in water jets, designed to mimic a 7% downward icy slope, I used the car with Porsche Stability Management off an on, and tried to avoid a simulated obstacle, controlling the car off and on the brakes using the accelerator, what a buzz when it all came right!

^^^ the centre does cater for any cars............

Then we had a go at the Kick plate, which as it sounds is a hydraulically actuated plate built into the plastic low friction tarmac.  When you approach at about 25mph, it kicks the rear wheels of the car to start a slide which you have to react to counter.  You then balance the car on the throttle and steering inputs, until you get out the end.  I pirouetted a few times and then it all came together.  Fantastic!

There is another stance which is again low friction, and designed to show how the car reacts on the throttle (foot to the boards) holding it in a power slide with minimal steering inputs.  The Cayman is happiest doing this due to its good weight distribution.

Another go on the Handling circuit, aware people were watching, chasing the Turbo again, really good fun, but really hot work.  The session was finished off with lunch (Stilton soup/Pork tenderloin and Panna cotta washed down with Dandelion and Burdock!)

Anyway took a few pics of the cars and the centre.................. some good, but please excuse the Phone pics.  And spot the new model (give you a clue..............997 GT2RS   :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:  Oh and something James Dean had one of!

The Red Cayman S I drove is Bottom of pic, you can just make out the Yellow front caliper.

Great great day, they do a own car sessions for about £170, Human performance sessions, off-road sessions, and lots more besides, including Pre-Order Test drives (do I want the GT3 or GT3 RS?  Well lets test them both!)

Note - Not all pictures are mine.  Some you tube vids are below.  oh and the centre is also sponsored by Michelin!  The Red Cayman had 3 new tyres (Pilot Cups) on this morning, and they were fairly well knurled up at the end of the morning!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:11:28 pm by stokeballoon »

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
Re: Interesting Day with Porsche..............
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 08:12:58 pm »
PS Mr Dave B can you get any of those brakes................
 :popcornsoda:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:14:29 pm »
Porsche Spyder ( 550 - James Dean Car) is insured for over £1 million!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:19:44 pm by stokeballoon »

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 08:16:52 pm »
looks like you had a great day, there's nothing like when it all comes together. I've  had that with my bike a couple of times on track. Better than sex IMO

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 08:49:22 pm »
Looks a bit like Mercedes Benz World at Brooklands.  :happy2:

Neil

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 09:18:07 pm »
Looks mint, great write up, I was excited just reading and looking at the pics so you must`ve had a crackin` day  :happy2:

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:42:29 pm »
We had a bit of a nosey round here whilst at the Moto GP this year, some pretty impressive machinery there.

Sounds like a nice day out :happy2:

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 10:06:41 pm »
Thanks for the comments, I wrote the post due to them having days where you take your own car, any model, and try out the facilities.  I think it was called you@porsche-experience.

It was a good day out, good hospitality and tuition.  The Old Porker Spyder is the same model that James Dean had an accident and died in.

The range of cars is amazing, they have one of every model, in all the transmission modes that Porsche do, so you learn how the car you bought can be driven.

They have a display of all the extras you can have, including a comparison of a set of Ceramic brakes versus the standard set.

those seats really are tremendous, as was the whole day.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 10:37:18 pm »
Nice write up Dave but you need to stop thinking about those brakes or maybe just do it...  :grin:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 10:42:47 pm »
PS Mr Dave B can you get any of those brakes................
 :popcornsoda:

Funny that Dave, knew you're the biggest brake whore on the planet (after me) so put a set to one side just for you....

Note the ceramic topped pistons to avoid heat transference

Had some Gen2 ceramics as well 380mm

The first rule of ceramic brakes is you dont talk about disc replacement cost.... :stupid:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 06:09:03 am »
Oh P!ss!

Anyone want a slightly used but well looked after kidney!
 :scared:

Now hwere is Dave's phone number.........................

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 07:08:00 am »
 :signLOL:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 09:15:26 am »
Looks like you had a good day, my sort of thing too. :smiley:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 09:34:54 am »
its an awesome day, i did the same in a turbo!  :happy2:

Oh and you neeeeed those brakes!!  :drool: :drool:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 10:49:28 am »
Good write up Dave and looks a mint day out  :happy2:
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.