Make a donation

Author Topic: Any been to the nurburgring ring?  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Tara

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • If it doesnt break...your not going hard enough!
    • Email
Any been to the nurburgring ring?
« on: August 11, 2010, 01:11:32 pm »
As title says, anyone been and driven around it? Im going next year with a few people and taking the golf around :) :driver:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:14:45 pm by Tara »

Offline markymark

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
Re: Any been to the nurburgring ring?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 01:19:08 pm »
There have been a few forum trips over to the Ring, check out the Shows, Events and Meets section, I think all the previous pics etc are in the Track Day sub section. The Ring is a great place! :happy2:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 01:23:27 pm »
Heaven on Earth.

1 thing of note. Check you're insured as most exclude it and be aware of the risks of not being insured - wiping out a biker or dropping fluids and causing a gaggle of GT3 RSs to crash will pretty much ruin you for life.

Otherwise, have fun.
Sideways yo!

Offline BenR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 01:25:05 pm »
Heaven on Earth.

1 thing of note. Check you're insured as most exclude it and be aware of the risks of not being insured - wiping out a biker or dropping fluids and causing a gaggle of GT3 RSs to crash will pretty much ruin you for life.

Otherwise, have fun.

Have to agree with the above!

It is awesome at the ring but you've gotta be very careful! You will enjoy it

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:01:44 pm »
They have now started doing trackdays as well as tourist days. Trackdays mean it is easier to get track specific insurance and any incidents are dealt with as knock for knock, so you aren't liable like on a tourist day. I did a trackday at the 'ring in April and it was by far and away a million times better than any tourist day. The organisation, the drivers are better behaved (on the whole anyway!), no buses, bikes, vans etc and a limitation of how many cars are allowed on the trackday, which means clearer laps. Also figure into the equation that unless there is a major crash on the trackday, the track is kept open. There were around 5 incidents on the day I went and not one shut the track down. When I've been on a tourist day in the past, at least 4 of these would have shut the track down. On trackdays you also get a full flag system with a comprehensive amount of people at trackside to use them. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:04:52 pm »
^^ what he said. If you're doing some serious lapping, it generally works out the same/cheaper too!

A few UK companies are running these now, I just haven't been lucky enough with the timings of my trips to do one. Well worth it though.
Sideways yo!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 03:13:19 pm »
erwartet roten Führer.....................

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 03:27:04 pm »
Tara, if you do end up going make sure your go to Cherry Bar!

Its a very nice, small pub, and has an awesome atmosphere!!  :innocent:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 03:35:19 pm »
Tara, if you do end up going make sure your go to Cherry Bar!

Its a very nice, small pub, and has an awesome atmosphere!!  :innocent:

Snigger.................

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 03:38:02 pm »
Yak, yak.....
Sideways yo!

Offline pat15312

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 04:52:53 pm »
neverbeen! lol
would love to but probs is i wouldnt want to trash a car. puts a lot of stress on all componants.
would love something like a VX220 to take round though
Audi S3 s-tronic (Week 46)
Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloys | LED headlights
Super sports seats | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior lighting pack
Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reverse Camera
AAC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headligh assist | Privacy glass | TPMS

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 05:38:59 pm »
erwartet roten Führer.....................

It isn't long before Robin is back out there either :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 06:25:12 pm »
Yeap, it's ace!  I was best man at a wedding in Tuscany a few years back so decided I'd drive down there in my old Mk2 Golf GTi 16v via the 'Ring, the Swiss Alps and the Italian Lakes.
Being on the track concentrates the mind somewhat and I was kacking it as I set of on my first lap.  You don't have to rag it round so you don't need to trash your car.
If you treat it like a public road (which I think the Polizei do - think you can be prosecuted for causing an accident and all that) you'll be fine.  Kacked it slightly less on my 2nd lap!
I was amazed at what was circulating - everything from my Golf with my wedding suit hanging in the back to a brand new Maserati MC-12 to a 53 seater coach full of school kids
to all the locals in their uber-modified Golfs and Jettas and people on their way home from work in Hertz rental jobs!  There are loads of really good and interesting places to stay round there very close to the track.  If you can get booked up for a lap in the BMW Ring Taxi (we tried but it was chocca the day we were there) and get driven round by someone like Sabine Schmitz in an M5 I reckon that'd be nuts but you have to book way in advance.  A trip to the 'Ring has to be a must do for any car nut.

Offline laurent.d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 09:50:54 pm »
As title says, anyone been and driven around it? Im going next year with a few people and taking the golf around :) :driver:

The Nürburgring nordschleife is amazing, insane.
It is Heaven in Hell.
You'll love it.

I went there maybe 10 times, I rode 77 laps. I hope the next time will be in september.

They have now started doing trackdays as well as tourist days. Trackdays mean it is easier to get track specific insurance and any incidents are dealt with as knock for knock, so you aren't liable like on a tourist day. I did a trackday at the 'ring in April and it was by far and away a million times better than any tourist day. The organisation, the drivers are better behaved (on the whole anyway!), no buses, bikes, vans etc and a limitation of how many cars are allowed on the trackday, which means clearer laps. Also figure into the equation that unless there is a major crash on the trackday, the track is kept open. There were around 5 incidents on the day I went and not one shut the track down. When I've been on a tourist day in the past, at least 4 of these would have shut the track down. On trackdays you also get a full flag system with a comprehensive amount of people at trackside to use them. :smiley:

Who organize it and when?
A3 2.0 tfsi DSG S-Line/VWR K04 Turbo kit/Engine Revo Stg 3/Milltek Exhaust/DSG Revo Stg 2/Quaife LSD/Bilstein PSS10/H&R sway bars/Power Grip Morego/VWR Suspension Bushes/VF Engineering Engine Mounts/VWR Lower Mount/OZ Ultraleggera 8x18 ET45/Brembo 328x28 2pcs 4 pot ''A'' caliper/Braille Battery

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 10:41:35 pm »
I think Hurdy and Robin are on another day and they'll fill the details in, but this is the one I know of

http://www.destination-nurburgring.com/

Open pit lane, full Ring lap, no GP circuit.
Sideways yo!