Make a donation

Author Topic: Someone help me with my Mac  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
Someone help me with my Mac
« on: August 13, 2010, 12:50:24 pm »
Hi All

all those mac users out there  :happy2:

I have had my mac for six months now and got to say i love it ! but still learning all the differences !

Has anyone been to the mac store for there lesson things and what are they like ? how did you guys learn the mac differences ?

also anybody give me an idea of must have software !

still have all the original and i life on mine ??

Thanks
While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Someone help me with my Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:53:02 pm »
I am also a recent convert. I have bought a couple of books http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0596804253/ref=oss_product and http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0596802722/ref=oss_product as I hope they will fill in the missing bits.

Just waiting for them to turn up.  :party:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 01:59:57 pm »
Just done the same and converted to OSX just over a week ago, and so far a very positive experience, although still getting to grips with everything, so like BritishLion would be interested to know what extra software experienced mac users install as a default to the basics.

Sorry to hijack Britishlion but would also be interested to know how to or what to use to write RNS firmware using the superdrive.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 03:01:46 pm »
iLife suite is a must if you haven't got it. That gives you amongst other things iMovie & iPhoto which are brilliant programs for the novice to use to do movie and photo editing.

Depending on what sort of work you do then you can get Microsoft Office for Mac. Although Apple do the own version called iWork which is good once you get to used it. Keynote (PowerPoint equiv) wipes the floor with Ppt. However some of the transitions etc that it does won't display on ppt. So if you do a fancy presentation you will have to take your mac with you which is what I do.

If you get stuck on OSX say for example in the system preferences and you can remember the name of it under windows. At the top right corner of the window you see a search box with a magnifying glass in it. Type the windows name in it and it will highlight the correct option in System preferences for you.

Learn how to use Automater. You can set this to do almost anything and saves you masses of time.

Look at the apple tutorials on the Apple website. They will get you started on the basics of most stuff on the OS.

Once you get a bit more savvy then you can look at other programs. These are what I have an recommend:

ONYX - Free Program - keeps mac running in peak condition. Use it once every 3 months or if you feel it's slowing down on start up and app start up.

Aperture 3 - £169 last I looked - Apple version of Photoshop. I have both and think Aperture is a more accomplished product. Especially as it is easy to sync your iPhoto library across leaving iPhoto intact and you can edit the copies in Aperture.

Delicious Library - £35 iirc - uses the iSight camera to scan a barcode from any DVD,book,cd,gadget,game etc and catalogues.

VLC - Free - same as on windows plays near enough anything.

App Zapper - can't remember price - use it to delete any app so you don't leave anything behind.

UnrarX - think it's free - same as winrar.

VMware Fusion - £60ish - for running Windows in a Virtual Machine if like me some work stuff only runs on windows. Same for things like VCDS, Etka etc.

VUZE - free I think - torrent download program.

Skype - free - obvious

Steam - free - if your a gamer.

Toast 10 - can't remember price - for burning DVD,cd etc

Realplayer - free - incorporates realplayer downloader which is great for Xhamster, youjizz etc (allegedly  :evilgrin:)

StuffIt expander - can't remember price - if unrarx doesn't open it this will.

Use Time Machine - awesome utility, gives ability to recover anything from a single document to the whole OS including installed apps.

You don't necessarily have to book into those lessons with Apple (although they are very good) if you have a specific problem and no-one can help you can go to any genius bar and they will show you pretty much there and then how to achieve what you want.

I'm always happy to help where I can as well.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:03:40 pm by vRS Carl »

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 03:37:42 pm »
The classes are good, but i found that with the mac you can explore pretty much everything and never get to deep in trouble. Iv got a couple of links at home which have hundreds of links to great free and chageable apps, il post them up later for you.

Couple of apps i recomend and use daily are

Caffene - Keeps screen from going into sleep mode

Alfred - Much better than spotlight/Quiksilver

Drop Box - Great if you have mac - ipad and iphone

Virtual Box - Free virtualisation prog to run windows or ubuntu

Monolingual  - Removes all the languages you dont use/need & create more disk space

Istat Menu- Pretty cool little app that shows how your mac is performing

I use loads more but they will keep you busy for awhile!!  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:13:11 pm »
cheers guys that sounds like a nice lot to start with, should keep me busy over the weekend, I would say out of trouble but a couple of those suggestions will probably get me into trouble  :evilgrin:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 05:22:05 pm »
^^^^

as above thanks guys ! sorry for the delay just discovered youjizz ! (JOKE!!!!)

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 06:21:15 pm »

I am going to have so much fun tomorrow searching all these !

thanks guys !

Ifti

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 08:30:19 pm »
Just installed Onyx - thanks for the suggestion VRS CARL, great program!

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 11:13:48 pm »

Ah ! guys !

Loving these programs ! I can now watch wmv  files on VLC

Machine running quicker after Onyx !

Tell me more ! Tell me more
 :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 11:19:42 pm »
Back off MR Lion i need there help.  :grin:

Ok guys need some help. Possibly me having a brain fart, but i am being driven mad by this.

I have a mac and aperture 3. So far i have imported all my pics from i photo no problem, but i took a few pics tonight and i cant get the bloody things to export across.  :chicken:

I think i am doing it correctly. = File/import/iphoto's, then drag them across into the correct library, but nothing happens though it says importing at the bottom. Its only 10 pics this would only take a couple of seconds. Then when i shut aperture down i have a small window saying cancel import or continue, select cancel and it still goes on.  :chicken:
I have now forced a quit, but aperture wont even open now.  :laugh:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 07:51:04 am »
You need to do the following

File, Import, Show Iphoto Browser

Then drag and drop the images you want in to the Aperture Projects menu

If you get stuck PM me and i'll do a few screen shots for you so as not to clog the thread up :happy2:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 09:33:28 am »

Tell me more ! Tell me more
 :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

I went into the Genius Bar yesterday to have them look an issue with Mobile Me and while I was there the guy suggested a couple to me -

http://hotspotshield.com/

Which among other things allows you to watch BBC iPlayer etc outside of the UK and also allows you to watch Yank TV outside of the US.

http://www.hulu.com/

Which has all the crappy Yank TV you could ever wish for.

I have noticed that Hotspot shield places an advert at the top of some web pages so the jury is still out on that at the moment.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Ifti

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 02:49:53 pm »
The only thing I use from iLife 09 is iMovie.
Even then Im thinking of changing that and getting Final Cut Express instead.

Hence I wont be using iLife at all.
I got it free with my system a few months back - can I sell it on or is it tied to my system only?