Make a donation

Author Topic: Sealants  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Sealants
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:30:14 am »
Morning folks. What exactly is sealant used for? I know that might seem like a daft question considering what 'Sealant' means but I'm not clear on when it should be applied. I have looked into a little bit and it seems that are three different camps on how it should be used. Before waxing, after waxing and instead of waxing?
 Years ago, when I was even more novice than I am now I had some Turtlewax Gloss Guard that you applied over the wax to give it greater longevity and I want something similar to go over the Lusso wax I'm currently using really.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on when it should be used and give me an idea what product is thought to be the best.

Thanks, Boothy  :happy2:

Offline chip20

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 8
    • http://absolutevaletinguk.co.uk/
    • Email
Re: Sealants
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 08:17:32 pm »
Hi mate.You put the sealant on after you have glazed.You can put wax over the sealant but some people say theres no point as it does the same job as wax! Not sure how true that is.It won't do it any harm if you do wax over the sealant! I am using Duragloss 111.It leaves a High gloss finish :happy2:

GTIStevie

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 09:03:34 pm »
I just use a sealant and no wax you can wax over the top but a lot of people say sealant gives enough protection.

For me I just polish and then put the sealant on top, and always get good results. Here is my photos just done my car.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,18036.0.html

I use black fire wet diamond which leaves a great wet look finish and can't be built up in layers, I always find the best thing to do is apply to whole car and leave for at least 1 hour then remove buff to a deep shine leave for at least 24hrs before applying another coat.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:32:42 pm »
So its safe to say that sealants are just an alternative to wax, not something to use in addition then?

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 11:08:48 pm »
have a read of the stickies at the top of this section.

You can: wash, clay, polish, cleanse, glaze, seal and wax the paintwork.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 11:20:26 pm »
have a read of the stickies at the top of this section.

You can: wash, clay, polish, cleanse, glaze, seal and wax the paintwork.

I'd forgotten all about that! Doh! Its helped clear up a few things for me.....again  :laugh:.

Thanks for the replies.