Make a donation

Author Topic: Do Top Gear break the law almost every episode?  (Read 8715 times)

Offline dougle_turbo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Do Top Gear break the law almost every episode?
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:34:10 pm »
So there I was watching Top Gear the other night and as usual the 3 stooges were using radios to chat to each other whilst driving on a public road........

So can anyone tell me what the difference between using a radio and a mobile phone in a car is? Surely both are illegal?

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: Do Top Gear break the law almost every episode?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:04:16 pm »
CB radio's (which i'm sure they use) are perfectly fine, nearly every wagon on the road has one fitted

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:13:35 pm »
It's not CB's they use it's walkie Talkies and I'm sure that can't be legal?

We have used them a couple of times for Ring Trips and I'm always very concious if I occasionally use it!

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:39:36 pm »
Ahh I see (i've never taken much notice to be honest). In that case i'm not too sure about walkie talkie's,  you don't have to hold it to your ear but you still have to hold the unit and press a button to use it so effectively it's not a handsfree kit?!

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 12:16:48 am »
But do they come under the same legislation as mobile phones? That would be key to if they are illegal or not!

bet there's some kind of loophole :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:19:43 am »
I reckon that two way radios are not covered by the Laws governing the use of a hand held mobile phone or device whilst driving. 

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032695.htm

I think they could have you for not being in proper control or driving without due care and attention if you were deemed to be committing either of those offences whilst using a radio and it might be tricky trying to convince a magistrate that you were still in proper control whilst driving along with one hand and holding/talking into a radio in the other.  When they were driving through London, Clarkson did look a bit sheepish as he tried discreetly using the radio to tell Hammond he didn't like the look of that uglymobile he was driving!

crunchy

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 12:46:30 am »
They do or could commit other offences of not being in proper control of a vehicle. The BBC legal team are obviously waiting to test the water!!

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 08:28:31 am »
I recall the case of a female driver prosecuted for drinking from a bottle of water while stationary at a red light. It's only a small step to the TG presenters. But is there a copper out there dumb enough to try that on Jeremy Clarkson?  :signLOL:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:14:59 am »
You think the CB bit is pushing the limits of the law... How the hell is this remotely safe/legal????  :surprised:

Either way I can't stop laughing at James May on this clip, bloody brilliant..  :grin:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:15:49 am »
Her solicitor must have been crap then as there is no law against eating and drinking whilst driving. The only time you commit an offence is if you drive dangerously or without due care and attention whilst doing so (Well thats what they broadcast on Police Camera Action last week)

With regards to walkie talkies they are not illegal to use - probably as not many people do - but same as above if you drive without due care & attention or dangerously then you can be preosecuted.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:17:42 am by vRS Carl »

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 11:16:17 am »
If your eating the most I think they could do it a fine for not being in control of your vehicle - £30 fine no points.

As Ben just suggested, although yes probably wrong - there are more bits that make me wonder how the hell do they get away with that.

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 11:23:44 am »
I was stuck in a stationary traffic jam on the Cromwell Road once, outside the Natural History Museum. Hadn't moved for about ten minutes, there was some sort of protest going on. I took out my phone to send a message to my friend telling him I was stuck in the jam, and got told off by a passing policeman. I apologised and nothing further came of it, but it was literally a parked situation; many people had their engines off.