Make a donation

Author Topic: Start of the slippery slope - is there any difference between Revo & APR?  (Read 8249 times)

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
Hi All
Well resisted for a year, but I am on the slippery slope.

From what I have read the APR map seems to be the way I want to go.
The seem to be a little less agressive than the revo and probably more suited to my driving.
I also like the idea you can use the cruise for changing maps. Plus based at Awseome which isn't too far and only ever gets rave reviews.

But this seems like a Revo site.

So few APR reviews.

Any thoughts pls???
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587

PM any questions about Apr, bit busy tonight but will give you my thoughts and opinions tommorow.
 :happy2:

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 18
  • Seat Leon Cupra Tfsi Its nearly a Golf
    • Email
Another happy Apr stage 2+ customer here  :happy2:

You may not get the highest peak numbers with Apr but it is a very smooth map

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
APR produce a very high quality smooth map and IMO is the leaders for VAG tuning....VW Motorsport have a very strong relationship with them too.

Good for switheable maps on the cruise too.
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
from the graphs ive seen posted, their power and torque curves all seem to have dips in the midrange

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
When I was choosing who to go with my decision boiled down between APR and REVO as well.  Both companies have put a lot of R&D into their maps so you can't go wrong with either to be honest.

I think the statement "REVO is more aggressive than APR" is untrue.  The REVO map can be tweaked to be as passive or aggressive as you like with the Select Plus.

Personally I decided to go with REVO because of larger adjustability it gave me with the Select Plus.  I also feel that REVO gives you scope for a larger range of HW mods than APR.  APR maps are only tested with APR HW and I have heard of some issues when people try to run different HW with APR maps.

If you are not that bothered about having the extra adjustability of the Select Plus and are planning to use APR HW for any extra mods in the future then APR is the way to go  :happy2:.  The cruise switching certainly is a very nice feature.

Offline searly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
I Have an APR stage 1 , had it done by Awesome , was a long way to travel but worth it .   I also done hours and hours of reading , and got it down to 2 for me ( revo / APR ) before I made me decision.

Good move , which either of the 2 you use .

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
When I was choosing who to go with my decision boiled down between APR and REVO as well.  Both companies have put a lot of R&D into their maps so you can't go wrong with either to be honest.

I think the statement "REVO is more aggressive than APR" is untrue.  The REVO map can be tweaked to be as passive or aggressive as you like with the Select Plus.

Personally I decided to go with REVO because of larger adjustability it gave me with the Select Plus.  I also feel that REVO gives you scope for a larger range of HW mods than APR.  APR maps are only tested with APR HW and I have heard of some issues when people try to run different HW with APR maps.

If you are not that bothered about having the extra adjustability of the Select Plus and are planning to use APR HW for any extra mods in the future then APR is the way to go  :happy2:.  The cruise switching certainly is a very nice feature.

My MKIV was the first UK MKIV Golf that APR used their stage 2 files on some years ago. They already developed stage 2 for the US cars but on my arrival at  Awesome Jim stayed until midnight with me whilst APR perfected the stage 2 file on my MKIV which incidently was an AUM 1.8T running Miltek DP zorst and Intercooler.

The map was super smooth but maxed the potential of the car without sacrificing longevity of the turbo etc. This was bourne out when we stripped it off the car at 100k when I went APR Stage 3+.
We examined the KO3s which had been APR mapped from nearly new when we bought the car....that says alot about APR's tuning philosophy IMO. They certainly got their 1.8T maps bang on.

My ED30 on stage 2 was again super smooth but I never noticed any flat spots in the mid range just lots of smooth grunt all the way to the top with APR pump and RSC fitted.

Their stage 2 and 3 in the MK6 is supposedly very very good according to the reviews..
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
I Have an APR stage 1 , had it done by Awesome , was a long way to travel but worth it .   I also done hours and hours of reading , and got it down to 2 for me ( revo / APR ) before I made me decision.

Good move , which either of the 2 you use .

What was the deciding factor for you?

If you don't mind  :smiley:
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
however both APR and REVO are still both slightly tweakable generic maps.  why not give jabbasport a chance to do a full custom map for your car. 

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
Hi,

you open a can of worms discussing remaps on any forum and often its difficult to determine the wood from the trees as everyone says 'my map is best'  :signLOL:

depends on what car you have, looks like a K03 GTI from your profile, in which case my advice would be different.

K03 GTI : go REVO ,I dont think the APR tune for the smaller turbo gives as agood results

K04 GTI (Edition 30/Pirelli) : APR or REVO both good.  headline figures for stg2+ cars definitely better for REVO.
APR dyno midrange boost dip (for stg1 cars at least) is to stop compressor surge which APR believe happens, REVO dont

my ed30  APR stg1 review is http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3567.0.html
works perfectly for me. cruise control stalk + switching is a huge plus. As it turns out i havent modded any further for a while so non adjustability hasnt been an issue.

depends on your location to the nearest REVO/APR dealer too   :happy2:
ability to adjust params on the REVO switch is really nice, and works briiliantly for stg2+ cars (fuel pump/map/etc)
Cars have a lot of variance (sensors etc) so this means you can tweak it up or down to sort your car.

are you manual or DSG box? as REVO may have the edge if you have DSG then you can get a matched software set for only 1 supplier (engine and dsg maps  :laugh:)

still worth considering other tuners as they may have advanatges for you too. but in general they dont give as good results or have had as much testing! Superchips handset works well if you are distant from a tuner and want to do it all online.
I would stick with APR or REVO though  :happy2:

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
REVO for me, but if i were to choose, id seriously be looking at GIAC as another contender!  :happy2:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
Some good people to have a chat with about this would be JKM.  They supply both APR and REVO and have real world experience with both on the MK5 platform.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Thank you for all your answers.

Yep I have an AXX K03 only mod is a panel filter. All my cars/bikes get a panel filter. But that's just me.

I live in Leeds but seem to be spending more and more time working in Manchester.

Gone for the APR trial. Which seems really good, better than the REVO K03 I drove.

Would there be any problems getting a revo trial now?
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
nice one  :happy2:
surprised , must have been something wrong with the REVO K03 you drove then  :grin:
APR is still great software (I run APR FFS  :signLOL:)

YES , if you get a trial , you need to get flashed back to full stock VW software (NOT stock like!) either by the trial supplier or by VW BEFORE getting another trial.
Otherwise it can and does cause issues...

If you decide to stick with APR and get the full version then there is no problem  :happy2:

If you are over in Manchester come over say hi to me and a few of the Cheshire posse  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD