Make a donation

Author Topic: How quick is your internet?  (Read 7587 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Re: How quick is your internet?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 09:51:27 am »
Took less than 2 seconds......

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 10:01:29 am »
That's impossible. Your line can download at 1.97 mb per seconds (when at top speed) and the file Is 12mb.  :signLOL:

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 02:55:27 pm »
That's impossible. Your line can download at 1.97 mb per seconds (when at top speed) and the file Is 12mb.  :signLOL:

Could have been cached or proxied by his ISP...

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 03:14:48 pm »
Still wouldnt of worked, if you take the megabits per second figure that speed test.net gives you divide it by 8 you then have the number of mega bytes you can transfer per second, so 18Mega Bytes divided by 1.97 Megabytes and you get how long it would take to download any file.

The cache will decrease the distance and latency for each packet which can slow the transfer down, but it wont make the pipe between your house and your ISP router any bigger.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 06:08:34 pm »
That's impossible. Your line can download at 1.97 mb per seconds (when at top speed) and the file Is 12mb.  :signLOL:
That's impossible. Your line can download at 1.97 mb per seconds (when at top speed) and the file Is 12mb.  :signLOL:

Could have been cached or proxied by his ISP...

Still wouldnt of worked, if you take the megabits per second figure that speed test.net gives you divide it by 8 you then have the number of mega bytes you can transfer per second, so 18Mega Bytes divided by 1.97 Megabytes and you get how long it would take to download any file.

The cache will decrease the distance and latency for each packet which can slow the transfer down, but it wont make the pipe between your house and your ISP router any bigger.

I ain't got a tube'a'glue what any of your are on about but I downloaded the image and it was done in less than two seconds then ran the speed test and thats what came up?!

I just did it again too. Right clicked, save image, 2 secs later its downloaded it in its entirety.................or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:14:57 pm by Boothy »

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 07:51:40 pm »
haha, im not saying your lying mate,  :signLOL: just with the speed test given and the image size, it doesnt seem to add up. And im intrigued to learn why!

if you havent tube'a'glue, well, its like saying a ford fiesta can do 0-60 in 4 seconds. with the info there in the last statement, its defies physics! if we later find its an all wheel drive 1100hp fiesta, i could understand that!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 08:07:17 pm »
Maybe he is only downloading the size of the image on screen and not the full 18.1mb

Rather than actually downloading the full image he is just saving the image that is displayed on the screen.

I haven't used windows like that in a while but don't you have to left click on the image to load it in full then right click and save?

That would explain the 2 sec download time.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2010, 08:08:03 pm »
haha, im not saying your lying mate,  :signLOL: just with the speed test given and the image size, it doesnt seem to add up. And im intrigued to learn why!

if you havent tube'a'glue, well, its like saying a ford fiesta can do 0-60 in 4 seconds. with the info there in the last statement, its defies physics! if we later find its an all wheel drive 1100hp fiesta, i could understand that!

:signLOL: Relax mate I didn't think you were and if the figures don't add up they don't add up which begs the question, whats going wrong....or er, right?

Am I downloading it correctly with a right click and save image?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2010, 08:10:27 pm »
On the image you have already downloaded. Right click on it. Left click properties and see what size it says it is.

That will tell you if you have downloaded the displayed image or the full 18.1mb :happy2:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 09:18:30 pm »
It says its 18,524kb. I've downloaded at ten versions now and its always around 2 seconds? :surprised:

MPS

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2010, 10:29:01 pm »
My Internets did it in about 10 seconds. (Virgin Media)

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 10:44:09 pm »
It says its 18,524kb. I've downloaded at ten versions now and its always around 2 seconds? :surprised:

Clear your temporary internet cache and try again.   :smiley:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2010, 11:04:00 am »
Does anyone know or can figure out what the actual physical dimension of this image is as a 1:1? I've got access to large scale plotters at work and fancy printing it out.

Offline minty7815

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2010, 11:21:53 am »
Actual print dimensions are 30000 x 1000 pixels or 491.61 cm x 16.39 cm

HTH  :wink:

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 11:25:53 am »
5 METRES!!! :signLOL: Think i'd better print that when the boss's out of the office.  :fighting2: