Make a donation

Author Topic: Changed the Cam Follower....Easy! A few question for you all though.  (Read 2582 times)

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Well I have just changed the cam follower using Carl's "How-To" and it was so easy.  :happy2:

If anyone is on the fence here because they think it is too difficult, Its not, believe me. I guess it took me 20mins from start to finish, and I took things nice and steady, and followed Carl's "how-to" step by step.  :wink:

Here are some pictures of my Old Cam follower. I'm not sure exactly how knackered it actually is.

I do however have a couple of questions for you all if you can help?

First is, when I removed the engine cover I noticed that the plastic cable housing that runs across the top looks like it has 2 screws missing.  :confused: What do you think?

Second question is a bit silly really, but it is to do with one of those jobs I never get round to doing......Cleaning the engine bay.  :ashamed:

I thought I would ask the question here, cos I didn't want to start a whole new thread for a quick simple answer.

So what method is recommended for the engine bay? Can I just use something like the bilberry wheel cleaner and the Karcher??? Is this gonna cause any damage?

The big plastic parts are easy to clean, but these areas tend to get real dirty. Here are a few pics.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
Re: Changed the Cam Follower....Easy! A few question for you all though.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 04:42:42 pm »
Anyone help with the screw question please ??? 

Offline cupra_k1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 05:01:34 pm »
I think they come out of the factory without any screws mate. I know my K1 doesn't have screws holding the coil pack wiring down.

How many miles has your car covered? Looks like your cam follower had a little wear mainly on the inside from the piston. Definitely a worthwhile job for the money!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:07:48 pm by cupra_k1 »

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 05:46:06 pm »
Yes My S3 has no screws holding the CP cabling down either.  Don't worry Monte - your car is normal  :P

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 06:44:54 pm »
Definately no screws so dont worry about that. I wouldn't bother with the cleaning of the engine bay as water can get down the pug holes that cause corrosion and further problems! Just go around with a damp cloth and if you feel the need put some blueberry on it. Make sure the blueberry is cleaned off those as it can cause pitting on the components. :smiley:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 07:31:13 pm »
hmm, mine has two screws but they may have been added at a previous service.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 07:58:36 pm »
I've never seen a car with screws fitted to that.

I used to jet wash my engine bays every time I washed the car, I can't abide it being dirty.

First time to remove excess dirt give it a soak with a cleaner and then jet wash as usual, no need to avoid the E-Box but also don't drown it.  Sometimes helps to do it when the engine is warm.  Give the engine a run when you've finished to dry out. Simplessss  :happy2:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 08:30:04 pm »
Big thanks to everyone.  :congrats:  I am glad that the missing screws are not important  :happy2:

I've never seen a car with screws fitted to that.

I used to jet wash my engine bays every time I washed the car, I can't abide it being dirty.

First time to remove excess dirt give it a soak with a cleaner and then jet wash as usual, no need to avoid the E-Box but also don't drown it.  Sometimes helps to do it when the engine is warm.  Give the engine a run when you've finished to dry out. Simplessss  :happy2:

I am gonna clean the engine bay tomorrow  :wink:

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 09:04:16 pm »
lol i thought the same when i took my engine cover off....Defo no screws in there bud..