Make a donation

Author Topic: Opinions on a 2005 GTi on Ebay Plz  (Read 3425 times)

Offline VWKD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • VWKD
    • Email
Opinions on a 2005 GTi on Ebay Plz
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:44:01 am »
I've been looking for to upgrade my MK4 GTI TDI 150 with a MK5 GTI for a couple of months now and spotted this one on ebay. I noticed it  was on ebay a few weeks ago and didn't reach it's reserve finishing at 6650 Unfortunately I'm on a bit of a tight budget so I'm generally looking at high mile 54/05 platers and am trying to avoid the Cat Deeleys even though some are very tempting as they always seem to be loaded with low miles.

Anyway compared to a lot I've seen it seems pretty good value for money with most 05's being 8k+

Just wondered what peoples thoughts on it are.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:27:33 pm by VWKD »
1971 T2 Camper
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV
1999 Passat TDI Running On Chip Fat

Offline keano

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Re: Opinions on a 2005 GTi on Ebay Plz
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:29:22 am »
A link to the car wouldn't go a miss  :grin:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 07:04:13 am »

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:07:11 am »
Looks ok from the pics. How far from you is it ?. Could be worth a trip over, he has 100% feedback.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline VWKD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • VWKD
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:27:38 am »
Looks ok from the pics. How far from you is it ?. Could be worth a trip over, he has 100% feedback.

Annoyingly it's about 2 hours away :(  all the cheaper ones seem to be freaking miles from where I live.

If it's still about at the weekend I'll see if I can nip down there.  Bit frustrating really as if I knew it was all good I'd grab a lift with a guy I work with who lives in Portsmouth and commutes on a weekly basis to pick it up.  But buying without a test drive seems a bit to risky to me.

1971 T2 Camper

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 10:21:34 am »
2 hours drive isn't too bad. Mine was in Rugby and I live in Wolverhampton, so took about an hour and a half to get there. its only £25/30 in petrol really, and its sometimes worth the extra distance rather than settling for a local one that may not be as good, but you get the rose tinted specs on when you see them.
Not sure about £750 for the cambelt service. Just make sure you look out for the tell tale signs if you do go and view it.

Offline VWKD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • VWKD
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:32:32 am »
I do tend to suffer from the ol rose tinted specs when looking at cars.. I'm great when it comes to helping someone else buy a car but get caught up in the excitement when it's for myself.. I'll see if I can get my mate who's a panel beater to come along with me.

Fuel cost isn't an issue as my daily is a Passat TDI running on 100% waste veg oil that I get for free from the local pubs  :laugh:  it's more the time since having kids and a new born prior to that I've bought cars from all over the country.

1971 T2 Camper

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 10:41:34 am »
If a car looks good then go for it, i drove to Wales for my GTi but i've also flown to Scotland in the past to buy a car and i live in the South East!
Get as much info as you can but if you think its worth it then whats a bit of a trip in the grand scheme of things?
Ant

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:45:45 am »
Seems like a reasonable price if the car is as they've described. Nothing mentioned as to whether it's an import or not, so may be worth asking.

Have you looked elsewhere for gti's or have you got your heart set on this particular one?

I came across this one, looks like there's a few marks on the body but mileage is lower:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201031364886460/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/price-from/6000/price-to/8000/model/golf/make/volkswagen/postcode/po48ra/page/2/radius/100/keywords/gti?logcode=p

Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 11:10:36 am »
The one Mandy has posted sounds/looks much nicer, DSG too, which is always a nice extra.

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 11:22:21 am »
^^^^^^

Agree with Mandy here ! the one she has linked has DSG, Highline and MFSW !

Worth a look, scratches can always be worked on ! and a lot cheaper than retro items when the lovely guys on this forum talk you into it !
 :happy2: :happy2:
While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Offline VWKD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • VWKD
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 01:26:50 pm »

I have seen that one thanks Mandy but I'm not sure I'm old enough to drive an automatic yet  :surprised: an auto really doesn't appeal to me especially as this will be a weekend car to have fun in. Other than that this would be perfect especially as I know a man who can when it comes to paint work, dings etc..  liking the leather perfect for baby :sick:

Anyone know if there is anyway of finding out where this car is located ? am I missing a trick on Autotrader.

Thanks all for the comments much appreciated and if anyone spots any others please post them up my must haves are 5 doors as I have two iccle kids and a foot operated clutch and < £8k.
1971 T2 Camper

Offline VWKD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • VWKD
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 01:36:39 pm »
Seems like a reasonable price if the car is as they've described. Nothing mentioned as to whether it's an import or not, so may be worth asking.

Have you looked elsewhere for gti's or have you got your heart set on this particular one?

I came across this one, looks like there's a few marks on the body but mileage is lower:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201031364886460/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/price-from/6000/price-to/8000/model/golf/make/volkswagen/postcode/po48ra/page/2/radius/100/keywords/gti?logcode=p

In answer to your questions.. I've been scouring Ebay, PHeads, Autotrader and local free ad paper. I'm pretty easy on spec and it looks good in all colours to me. The car will only do about 2k a year so not fussed about it having a few miles on it if a good price, I would prefer it to be < 90k though. I've also been hoping some would come up at auction as I'd be interested to see what the 07 ex lease cars go for but my local (westbury) don't seem to get many and the ones they have had have been 3 door or auto's so haven't bothered to take the day off to see what they go for.

Is there a easy way to find out if it's an import ? is this an issue ?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:38:42 pm by VWKD »
1971 T2 Camper

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 01:47:16 pm »
That's a fine distance, I drove to Mansfield to get my GTI and I live in Essex, travelling is worth it.

It looks good to me, set aside some money for a good service.

If it were me, i'd buy it, then get the cam belt / water pump changed, a full service (spark plugs, air, pollen & fuel filters, oil and filter change).

:)

Offline VWKD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • VWKD
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 07:24:20 pm »
Darn missed a bargain here me thinks.. was all set to bid and got called into a meeting with my boss and missed then end of the auction  :(  The seller has got to be gutted with that price.. I think he would have done much better had he not had the auction finishing at 20 past 5 on a Friday !

What do you guys make of this one cheap and very interesting story ! I presume it's on a CAT D.

:edit: just got a reply from the guy about the one above..

Quote from: seller
Hi,
I ran the the HPI check last night and it hasn't got a CAT from the
INC company its very confusing and upsetting all it says is that this Reg
was recorded as stolen on 16th May 2009. If it wasn't for that as you know
I could get alot more for it. If you have genuine interest feel free to run
your own HPI check. I'm going to the Police tomorrow to get them to run it
through there register. I will be more than happy to send you more pics 1st
thing.
Manythanks

What the hell's that all about..

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:44:21 pm by VWKD »