Make a donation

Author Topic: Driver's Headlight staying on.  (Read 1719 times)

Offline d80tb7

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
Driver's Headlight staying on.
« on: September 02, 2010, 06:14:06 pm »
Hi all,

wondered if nayone had any ideas about this problem.

Once every few days or so I'll get a warning sound when opening the driver's door to get out.  Further investigation reveals that the Driver's side headlamp is on (but not the passenger side one).  The lights are on Auto but turning them to off has no effect (I locked the car and left it for a hour and the light stayed on). The only solution seems to be to turn the ignition off and on again, at which point the light goes out and I can exit the car.

This is on an 05 plate GTI, which I've only had a month.  It's under warrenty so it should get fixed but I just want to check that:
a) I'm not being really dim and this isn't actually a  'feature'
b) If anyone has seen anything similar as I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to demonstrate it to the dealer.

thanks,

Chris

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Driver's Headlight staying on.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 06:51:00 pm »
Do you have an indicator stalk in the indicate position....it's called a parking light or something ....could be that "feature" I think....

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 07:08:18 pm »
Yep sounds like parking lights.  :happy2:

Is the rear light on as well?
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:15:05 pm »
^^^^^ditto...more than likely the parking light if the indicator is left on

FOR SALE!

Offline d80tb7

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:36 pm »
Ha, I bet that's it. I'll check next time it happens but it makes perfect sense as I'd be indicating to pull in when I park.

I feel a bit stupid now, but not half as stupid as I would have felt if I'd gone to the dealer.........

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:24:29 pm »
Ha, I bet that's it. I'll check next time it happens but it makes perfect sense as I'd be indicating to pull in when I park.

I feel a bit stupid now, but not half as stupid as I would have felt if I'd gone to the dealer.........

Unfortunately there is an acronym which pretty much covers these eventualities. 

RTFM  :signLOL:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 08:38:11 pm »
It used to confuse the hell out of me when I would pull onto my drive and get out to hear the bonging noise, as I have the auto lights on, thought it may be those for ages until I worked out that it was the indicator stalk! :stupid:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:48:52 pm »

Unfortunately there is an acronym which pretty much covers these eventualities. 

RTFM  :signLOL:

We have one at work for situations like this, it's called a PICNIC error (Problem In Chair Not In Computer)  :laugh:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:59:36 pm »
Loose nut between the steering wheel and the seat.