Make a donation

Author Topic: VCDS Help  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
VCDS Help
« on: August 23, 2010, 03:39:28 pm »
Right tech heads, need some advice please.  :party: As I know many of you have VAGCOM/VCDS, can you tell me what my options are if I want the software/lead etc?
Now I know there are different leads out there (genuine and cheap versions), but what are the positives and negatives? For what I would use it for (mainly logs) I have no interest in forking out £400 for the full kit, but at the same time I don't want to buy a cheap lead that doesn't work. Would this do the trick for just running logs etc? Or is it the wrong one for Mk5's?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VCDS-Lite-VAG-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-Diagnostics-Interface-/220656288832?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment
What different levels (price) are there for the leads and what's the best bet for a novice that won't use 90% of it's capabilities?
  :confused:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: VCDS Help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:53:58 pm »
That lead wont work on a CAN capable car like the Mk5. Mk4 Golf and its predecessors only.

You could buy a Micro Can lead which will only do CAN cars like the Mk5 but depending on where you go next may be limiting.

Personally I would say buy the proper cable at between £200 and £250 either direct from Ross Tech or from one of their authorised agents like Gendan.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:39:47 pm »
Proper cable all the way for me, i had a dodgy one that someone lent me a while back and it worked then didnt , very intermittent, and not very good when your in the middle of coding something !!, i bought my first real one  (micro can) second hand and it was quite cheap and sold it on and then got a very nearly new hex can for only £15 more than i sold the micro for :happy2:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:34:21 am »
Proper cable all the way for me, i had a dodgy one that someone lent me a while back and it worked then didnt , very intermittent, and not very good when your in the middle of coding something !!, i bought my first real one  (micro can) second hand and it was quite cheap and sold it on and then got a very nearly new hex can for only £15 more than i sold the micro for :happy2:

Not like you to do a bit of wheeling and dealing Shaun..

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 11:18:45 am »
It's an investment but having a genuine one will pay dividends and as you can see they retain some value.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available