Make a donation

Author Topic: Knocking noise after fitting my AP Coilovers????  (Read 9105 times)

Offline Edition_30_P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
  • Edition 30 P
    • Email
Knocking noise after fitting my AP Coilovers????
« on: August 23, 2010, 11:11:31 pm »
 :confused:

I've fitted my AP Coilovers and I have a knocking noise on the Car. It mainly happens when I'm just rolling but, when I accelerate or Brake it stops. Wound up the Coilies as apparently there was rubbing on thre Driveshaft. Lifted them by 2 spaces on the Front but now it seems the knocking has got worse.....

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Phil
MK5 Golf GTI Edition 30|APR Stage 2+|Milltek Non Res TBE Decat|ITG Intake| Forge Twintercooler|Autotech HPFP Internals|Forge DV|R8 Oil Cap|AP Coilovers|WALK Kit|ECS Dog Mount| THS Mounts|Eibach F&R Anti Roll Bars|Sachs Uprated Clutch

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Knocking noise after fitting my AP Coilovers????
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:12:43 am »
Dodgy top mounts ?, or drop links

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:20:13 am »
Knocking on the front or back?
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Edition_30_P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30 P
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:25 am »
This Morning on the way to work, the knocking was not as sever as yesterday. Actually disappeared after a while and then came back again after a while but wasn't that bad!! Were gonna get it up in the Air at Lunch and see what we can see!!

Will check the drop links and top mounts too  :happy2:

The knocking sounds as if it's at the off side front of the Car mainly and a little to the centre and Near side front!??
MK5 Golf GTI Edition 30|APR Stage 2+|Milltek Non Res TBE Decat|ITG Intake| Forge Twintercooler|Autotech HPFP Internals|Forge DV|R8 Oil Cap|AP Coilovers|WALK Kit|ECS Dog Mount| THS Mounts|Eibach F&R Anti Roll Bars|Sachs Uprated Clutch

Offline Edition_30_P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30 P
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:11:35 am »
The ride is WICKED!!!! Other than the knocking noise everythings perfect! I'm going to check the fornt top mounts and the drop links and see if theres any problems. Also going to check the Driveshaft as it was rubbing on it at first. I've also been told it could be the roll bar or my steering rack as, my steering has been a pain in the past so could've triggered a problem there?

Will know more at Lunch!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, Guys  :happy2:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 01:30:24 pm »
whats the driveshaft rubbing on?  :surprised:
could be spring not seated (although dont see why braking would cause it to go away)
top mounts would be my bet

Id also be checking your wheels are on properly  :happy2: and not come loose
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Edition_30_P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30 P
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 10:09:51 pm »
Well guys! Found out what that knocking noise is... It was the ant roll bar! So now I'm thinking what brand roll bars to go for and whether to change the drop links if I'm changing the roll bar!?

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:12:08 pm »
I ran the AP coiles with H&R ARB's with standard drop links for 30k + miles with no issues and great handling, so that would be choice  :happy2:

Offline Edition_30_P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30 P
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 11:38:44 pm »
Thank you, Steve! I will look into them tomorrow! I was going to ask what people would recommend out of H&R and Eibach!? I'm over happy now that I know what was wrong with it.... I don't think you understand how loud the noise was!!!!

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 06:57:57 am »
where abouts is it knocking, not heard of this on a mk5 :smiley:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 07:35:35 am »
be interested to know how its failed..
rubbers perished ?
brackets or bar snapped ?
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Edition_30_P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30 P
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 12:55:02 pm »
UPDATE:

Went to Tunungwerkes to see my mate Reuben and, I took him out for a drive and he noticed the noise aswell! He had it up on the ramp and checke drop links, roll bar, top mounts everything and the only thing we saw slightly wrong was that the drivers side roll bar bush rubber needs replacing. In the end the problem is actually mty Steering Rack which I've complained to VW about 5 times! So I've contacted them and they're going to replace it as they can see how many tiimes I've complained about the noise!!

HAPPY DAYS  :happy2:

Offline Edition_30_P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30 P
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 04:04:00 am »
I just realised... As I now have Coilovers fitted to my car and VW said they will sort my steering rack would they void it or complain as I have my AP's on now even though the problem was there before!? If so, back to standard she goes!

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 06:54:44 am »
I think they may try and blame the coilovers :sad1:

Offline Edition_30_P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30 P
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 12:10:56 pm »
I'm gonna have to put my originals back on then!! When i had previously take it to them (4 times) it was on the standard set up and, they said they could'nt hear anything wrong with it!!