Make a donation

Author Topic: Getting alloys sorted under warranty  (Read 9716 times)

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Re: Getting alloys sorted under warranty
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 06:59:32 am »
BBS and Ronal are the two variants, I think, JJ. Why not ask the helpful chaps at Listers to look at the warranty claim history VW has on your car. that should show up if there were any previous claims.

Oops, forgot to thank you for that Lou.  Good idea.

No worries mate :happy2:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 07:07:33 pm »
Popped down Solihull VW again today to pick up two brush aloominum door trim strips I'd ordered.  One came almost bent in half and the other one had a broken clip on it.  Parts chap disappered for a few minutes taking the bent one with him and then reappeared with "another" straighter looking one.  Turned on my heels and went to check the mirror because I must look really stupid or something....!

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 07:16:22 pm »
Popped down Solihull VW again today to pick up two brush aloominum door trim strips I'd ordered.  One came almost bent in half and the other one had a broken clip on it.  Parts chap disappered for a few minutes taking the bent one with him and then reappeared with "another" straighter looking one.  Turned on my heels and went to check the mirror because I must look really stupid or something....!

It's a little bit further out but a nice drive nontheless, but Listers Stratford are spot on fella! Was there today myself!  :happy2:

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 07:24:35 pm »

It's a little bit further out but a nice drive nontheless, but Listers Stratford are spot on fella! Was there today myself!  :happy2:

Alright Greeners? Yeah, I was at Listers earlier in the week and they were indeed spot on.  I'm down there next Tuesday for a replacement wheel so will get them to order me a couple of strips in.
Don't mind travelling if I know I'm not going to be treated like a mug.  I just hope Solihull are a bit more careful with the beautiful dark grey 60 plate Mk6 GTi that's wedged in the corner of their car park!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 08:22:11 pm »
Hey dude!  :happy2:

It's always felt like a bit of a shed to me whenever I've been to Solihull! Tell them you know me @ Listers and they'll look after you. Speak to Michael in Parts!  :wink:

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 11:44:22 pm »
Hey dude!  :happy2:

It's always felt like a bit of a shed to me whenever I've been to Solihull! Tell them you know me @ Listers and they'll look after you. Speak to Michael in Parts!  :wink:

Thanks man, I'll be sure to give you a mention.   :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 12:16:59 am »
I've always hated the tight parking at VW Solihull.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 10:12:49 pm »
A happy ending to my thread.  Got the infected Monza replaced yesterday along with all four centre caps.  Next week, they're replacing the drivers seat base and drivers seat belt assembly under warranty too in an attempt to get rid of the squeaks and rattles (I raised an eyebrow and was asked if I would prefer them not to do this!).  Not bad considering my warranty expired at midnight last night!  To say I'm pleased with the service from Listers of Stratford upon Avon is an understatement.   :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 10:15:14 pm »
Nice one!  :happy2:

Offline chip20

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 8
    • http://absolutevaletinguk.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 10:16:16 pm »
Nice one mate.Glad you got it sorted in the end  :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 10:39:04 pm »
JJ I called into my local dealer today with a small amount of white worm on all 4 of my Monza 2's (Jan '08 car). The warranty manager said that because there were signs of kerbing on my nearside 2 (done before I took ownership) they wouldn't be done. Specifically he said that the guidelines he had to go by were if the worm area was bigger than the kerbed area, VW would replace. If the kerbing was bigger, no go.

So I only get to have the offside pair replaced. No point arguing with him, but I'm not happy. Think I'll be making a phone call to VW. Although I can see their point, I fail to see why I have to put up with wormed wheels when the defect is around the wheel nut recesses, and not around or as a result of kerbing.

:sad1:
Fight em.  I had kerbed alloys replaced when there was white worm around the bolt holes.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 10:42:19 pm »
Excellent news and certainly a VW dealer to try out in future.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 10:46:08 pm »
BBS and Ronal are the two variants, I think, JJ. Why not ask the helpful chaps at Listers to look at the warranty claim history VW has on your car. that should show up if there were any previous claims.
Yes - BBS were the original suppliers of the Monza IIs, and these must ONLY use the metal bolt in valves.  They were later replaced (around 2008) by Ronals, which have the bendy rubber snap-in valves.  The two types really should not be mixed - get them to punch your VIN into ETKA - it will tell you exactly which wheels were factory fitted, and make sure they fit the correct ones.

And for the geeks, the BBS ones are the best, as they are lighter due to a 'hollow rim' technology.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 10:53:30 pm »
Yes - BBS were the original suppliers of the Monza IIs, and these must ONLY use the metal bolt in valves.  They were later replaced (around 2008) by Ronals, which have the bendy rubber snap-in valves.  The two types really should not be mixed - get them to punch your VIN into ETKA - it will tell you exactly which wheels were factory fitted, and make sure they fit the correct ones.

And for the geeks, the BBS ones are the best, as they are lighter due to a 'hollow rim' technology.

Thanks TT.  I'll deffo get them to check that out when I go back down there next week.  I've got a feeling I've now got three Ronals and a BBS!

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2010, 08:42:18 am »
JJ I called into my local dealer today with a small amount of white worm on all 4 of my Monza 2's (Jan '08 car). The warranty manager said that because there were signs of kerbing on my nearside 2 (done before I took ownership) they wouldn't be done. Specifically he said that the guidelines he had to go by were if the worm area was bigger than the kerbed area, VW would replace. If the kerbing was bigger, no go.

So I only get to have the offside pair replaced. No point arguing with him, but I'm not happy. Think I'll be making a phone call to VW. Although I can see their point, I fail to see why I have to put up with wormed wheels when the defect is around the wheel nut recesses, and not around or as a result of kerbing.

:sad1:
Fight em.  I had kerbed alloys replaced when there was white worm around the bolt holes.

I did, and by visiting another dealer, it was all sorted. New wheels in a week :happy2:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17699.msg257326.html#msg257326
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)