Make a donation

Author Topic: Putting private plate on retention  (Read 5660 times)

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Putting private plate on retention
« on: August 25, 2010, 01:06:24 pm »
Need to put my plate on retention now I have filled out those two forms as required but do I need to send off my v5 with these forms? Never done this before and at first glance doesn't seem to straight forward? Also for anyone whose already done this how long does it take?

Cheers

GTIStevie

Re: Putting private plate on retention
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 01:11:44 pm »
Done this loads of times myself if you have a local dvla office it's probably easier and a little bit quicker to go there they will confirm you have all the correct papers. It's coming up to the beginning of September so the  dvla will be busy with new registrations so I would allow up to a week to receive new disc and mot if it's needed and up to another week for v5. 

Offline Pummy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:23:34 pm »
Deffo get into a local office.  Saves time and means you can go back home and post any missing items if needs be.  Well worth the wait in the office.  do remember it coses £80 notes every time to put the plate on retention as well as an additional £25 each year you want it on.  Also factor plate costs when you have to put the originals back on (assuming you have not stored the original plates / or the car gets a different registration than the one you had previously)

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 01:25:44 pm »
You'll still have to surrender the V5 if you go in the local DVLA - the new one takes about 7-10 days as said, along with the new MOT (if applicable). Swansea does this bit, all you'll get is a new tax disc/reg/certificate of retention and the ability to put the old plates back on the car there and then.
Sideways yo!

GTIStevie

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »
You'll still have to surrender the V5 if you go in the local DVLA - the new one takes about 7-10 days as said, along with the new MOT (if applicable). Swansea does this bit, all you'll get is a new tax disc/reg/certificate of retention and the ability to put the old plates back on the car there and then.

Not entirly true u have to surrender all documents and wait at least a week for new disc and mot then up to another week for v5 and retention certificate, it's only when your putting a plate onto a vehicle that it's done on the day and you walk away with new docs required.

Just bear in mind it's getting close to 1st September so dvla will be busy so it could take longer, for me I would definitely go to the local office might speed up slightly.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 02:47:48 pm »
I just need the new v5 by the 17th sept so I can trade in the car. Don't want to have to be waiting on the v5 as having to wait till sept 18th is killing me as it is

GTIStevie

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 03:04:45 pm »
If you do it this week you should def have it by then.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 04:21:36 pm »

Not entirly true u have to surrender all documents and wait at least a week for new disc and mot then up to another week for v5 and retention certificate, it's only when your putting a plate onto a vehicle that it's done on the day and you walk away with new docs required.

Just bear in mind it's getting close to 1st September so dvla will be busy so it could take longer, for me I would definitely go to the local office might speed up slightly.

? When I put my plate on my car, they gave me a new tax disc there and then.
Sideways yo!

GTIStevie

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 04:34:29 pm »

? When I put my plate on my car, they gave me a new tax disc there and then.

Yeah that's what I said when u put the plate on it's done there and then, when going on retention it's takes longer not done on the day.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 04:38:01 pm »
Ahh, I missed a bit too.

When I then removed the plate to put it on retention ready for this car, they gave me a tax disc there and then again too. This is the 4th time it's been on/off and I've had a new disc on each occasion over the counter in Chester DVLA.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 04:42:49 pm »
^^^^
Someone mentioned MOT: Do you need a new MOT actual test when swopping plates, or just new MOT paperwork?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 04:45:57 pm »
^^^^
Someone mentioned MOT: Do you need a new MOT actual test when swopping plates, or just new MOT paperwork?

we are dealing with brand new cars here, no need for MOT's

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 04:52:58 pm »
^^^^

Just paperwork, Robin. Don't forget to inform the insurance too.
Sideways yo!

GTIStevie

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 04:59:20 pm »
I only meant mot if it's applicable and they just print of new certificate for you as it's all electronic.

Tony my bad must just be different offices working different, I've always had to wait.

And a small tip if your buying a new car is bargain into the deal the transfer of the plate then the dealer will sort out all the documents for you and plate will be on when first registered.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 05:42:11 pm »
Right im back from my local DVLA office, handed over some form along with my V5. BTW did I have to fill anything in on the v5 before I handed it over?