Make a donation

Author Topic: Tornado Red Golf GTI DSG... New wheels.. Finally!!!  (Read 24371 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Tornado Red Golf GTI DSG build thread
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 12:08:01 am »
I dunno about many RR around here - I travel to JKM in portsmouth!  :grin: :stupid:

I'm sure Jody at Midland VW in Cannock has a RR. Not sure about other places.

Am based near Heartlands Hospital. I use the shell garage on Station Rd!  :grin:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2010, 08:48:30 am »
@ Red Robin, thanks for the info. I think I will go for some lightweight wheels next and upgrade to stage 2. I reckon that should be more than enough for a daily driver  :wink: And also, consider some handling mods  :laugh:

@ Stealthwolf, I know exactly where the Heartlands Hospital is. In fact, I'm staying in Small Heath right now with my mum who is unwel. I normally fill up at Shell Acocks Green. Isn't the Station Road one closed due to renovation? Can't believe you live so close, yet I haven't seen your car around  :confused:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2010, 08:55:07 am »
The Station Rd one was closed but I went last week and it's been renovated. Love the new pumps - no more cutting out from too much pressure, and fuel flows at a higher rate.

Sorry to hear about your mum and hope she gets better soon!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2010, 11:22:10 am »

@ Red Robin, thanks for the info. I think I will go for some lightweight wheels next and upgrade to stage 2. I reckon that should be more than enough for a daily driver  :wink: And also, consider some handling mods  :laugh:

....The most practical lightweight wheel options for a road car are Team Dynamics (~9kg each) or OZ such as Alleggerita's (~8kg). The OZ are more expensive but imo more stylish though the latest TD's are an improvement. For comparison, the Monza 18's weigh ~12kg each without tyres.

A lot of folks seem to overlook handling mods but personally it's where you can have most fun when the car is well planted, especially with the UK's national speed limit  :sad1:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2010, 12:08:38 pm »
The Station Rd one was closed but I went last week and it's been renovated. Love the new pumps - no more cutting out from too much pressure, and fuel flows at a higher rate.

Sorry to hear about your mum and hope she gets better soon!

Thanks Stealth. She's a lot better now  :happy2: Yeah the new pumps are great, used the one near Broad St a few times. Looks much better too.

....The most practical lightweight wheel options for a road car are Team Dynamics (~9kg each) or OZ such as Alleggerita's (~8kg). The OZ are more expensive but imo more stylish though the latest TD's are an improvement. For comparison, the Monza 18's weigh ~12kg each without tyres.

A lot of folks seem to overlook handling mods but personally it's where you can have most fun when the car is well planted, especially with the UK's national speed limit  :sad1:

OZ alloys are out of my league I'm afraid  :sad1: Plus, I've been comparing our cars and it seems like I'm copying yours! (Not on purpose mind you! :P) We both have a 5dr Red GTI DSG, R32 rear end, OSIR front spoiler, TwinTake etc etc etc  :grin:

Completely agree with you about the handling mods. Which handling mods would you recommend and in which order?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2010, 12:57:35 pm »

OZ alloys are out of my league I'm afraid  :sad1: Plus, I've been comparing our cars and it seems like I'm copying yours! (Not on purpose mind you! :P) We both have a 5dr Red GTI DSG, R32 rear end, OSIR front spoiler, TwinTake etc etc etc  :grin:

Completely agree with you about the handling mods. Which handling mods would you recommend and in which order?

....Any similarity between our cars I see as just two people who both have excellent taste!  :evilgrin:

Handling mods? - Hmm, depends on how much you want to spend and how you use your car. Anti-roll bars are a good start, especially if used with KoniFSD dampers and the appropriate springs for them. The FSD's don't lower the car much but they are S.M.A.R.T. and automatically adjust so they're either slightly stiffer or slightly more comfy but according to road surface conditions. I had a very early set which failed but Koni have revised their design.

Sy would argue that ARB's don't help you corner any faster and he may be right, but you sure do feel better planted and hence more confident.

Stiffer but lowering springs are popular. Coilovers such as KW or Bilstein are excellent for harder driving and trackday use but come at a cost similar to OZ alloys. WALK helps too. There are plenty of discussion threads here about various solutions.

I'd advise thinking ahead as far as possible about what you want to achieve - There isn't a duty to do hardcore mods on this forum! Suspension is a whole package and a sum of its components. Proper alignment and setup also play an important part.

The downside of remapping is that the extra performance highlights where else you can modify. Once you have suspension mods you realise that some extra braking power may come in useful - Slow in, fast out of corners/roundabouts. You know the saying: It's a very slippery slope!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2010, 01:23:06 pm »
Btw, you don't want to go too low on your suspension while you have that OSIR front splitter. On well setup KW-V3 coilovers I can't go up or down the ramps in most indoor carparks and I have to slow to about 3mph for most speed bumps. Country lanes with a central ridge are also out of bounds. I have no regrets though and could always reset the coilovers higher but it would compromise that planted feel I so enjoy.

I'm posting a pic in your build thread just to illustrate what I'm talking about:

[Although TC will say I'm just the worst picture whore  :evilgrin:]

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:31:33 pm by RedRobin »

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2010, 02:11:03 pm »
^^^^^^^
Great pics RR, no need to apologise. I have the same problem getting off my drive! Need to take it off at an angle using mine and my neighbours lowered pavements   :grin:  I try my best to avoid speed bumps but not always possible.

I actually have Koni coilovers, not the FSDs and currently as low as I dare go.

These:
http://motorsportworld.co.uk/framefix.asp?PID=861457&ProductCode=K-1150-5080

I don't really wish to go hardcore, I'd be mire than happy with a fast road car that has decent power, handles well, looks and sounds good. So not much then  :evilgrin:
Not going to be taking it on track. If I change my mind later on, I'll up the ante but doubt it.

Hmmm... ARBs have got me thinking now   :smiley:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2010, 04:12:18 pm »
Yeah the new pumps are great, used the one near Broad St a few times. Looks much better too.
:grin:
That's where I've been going since the renovations started at Station Rd!  :grin:

As for handling, WALK and ARBs would be on my list.

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2010, 02:28:35 pm »
Yeah the new pumps are great, used the one near Broad St a few times. Looks much better too.
:grin:
That's where I've been going since the renovations started at Station Rd!  :grin:

As for handling, WALK and ARBs would be on my list.

Stealth, do you have any handling mods on your car?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2010, 09:36:34 am »
Those are the mods most people seem to recommend for handling (along with brake upgrade). There's been some discussion over the usefulness of ARBs on normal road use.

Have a read on some of the reviews to get an idea of some of these mods.

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2011, 07:56:06 pm »
in for more pics and details.... wanna know what you think of the twintake as thats high on my list lol!

nice looking car!!#

matsu

Matsu, took the car for a short but spirited drive today to test out the Twintake and downpipe. As you know I fitted them both in a very short space of time so cant really comment on either individually. Indeed, I can feel the car is driving better as in the power delivery is smoother and stronger. I have no doubt both mods have added a few extra Ponies under the hood  :laugh:

The Twintake itself is not quiet but also not too loud. Almost perfect I think. Sounds a little like Darth Vader has found a new abode under my bonnet  :grin: :grin: Plus the DSG blurp is now louder  :jumpmove:

I know you have been thinking about this mod for a while, my advice would be to go for it! Also, the DP has certainly made my exhaust louder too and acceleration has improved.

I definitely need to get it on a Rolling Road just to see what my car is pushing  :pomppomp:

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2011, 08:41:03 pm »
i,m def going for the dv(as already got that) got twintake on promise and now found arbs to add so will get the superpro caster kit to do at same time.
think the DP will have to wait till near summer and i think stage2 will be done at same time.
2011 has become more expensive than i planned and its.....oh sh*t the 1st of the year lol :party: :evilgrin:
thanks for the feedback woohooo i,m on that slope again
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2011, 11:11:57 am »
Just a quick update guys. Finally got my R20 brakes on. The garage that did it had no problems at all. I used Castrol SRF too. All in all, these have already made a huge difference. Using OEM discs and pads. Sorry for the poor quality pics and dirt. Will get some decent ones up soon  :happy2:

Also, got my engine cover painted:

I've notice most people have the cover paited the same colour as thier car but I didn't fancy having a red engine cover! Went for grey as it looks very OEM but loads better IMO 

Opinions welcome  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2011, 11:20:26 am »
^^^^
Very very very smart engine cover indeed!  :drool: :notworthy: :drool:

I would have done the same as I also think it would be OTT to have a red engine cover on a red car. I've seen pics of yankee ones  :sick:

I love the subtlety of the grey as opposed to silver (silver good on a silver car). That grey would also look good on a Steel Grey car. Out of interest what paint is that 'silver grey' you've used?

Nice touch having the red around the VW logo  :notworthy:

Seriously good, mate  :drinking:

Btw, now you need some black anodised bottle caps like mine (JAP, from U S of A) - Those bright blue oem ones now stick out like a sore thumb.