Make a donation

Author Topic: stuttering start up  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Raidevita

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
stuttering start up
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:03:00 pm »
Hi, ive had my gti 56 for almost 2 months now. ive noticed recently that when starting the car it seems to stutter a bit. Almost like its going o cut our for a split second but doesnt. Has anyone alse had this problem? I have a months warrant left so any advice would be great.
Also, can i take my car to any vw dealers under warranty?

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: stuttering start up
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:56:39 pm »
mine does this only when i start it from cold, dont no why it does i just live with it :), hope someone else doesnt write on here and say its a major fault lol

tom

MK6 Golf R DSG 2012 - FOR SALE - £20,000 - pm for info

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:41:35 am »
seems to be a common-ish issue on some cars fellas,  heres some reading for you http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,498.0.html
Still Here!

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:54:53 am »
change plugs, coilpacks and fuel filter.

Helped wayne when his was struggling to start.

Offline Raidevita

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:02:18 pm »

I just checked my service history and it doesnt look like the fuel filter or plugs have been changed for a long time! plugs never by the looks of it.:confused:
The cars done 47000..when i bought it from northampton vw i mentioned the cambelt,water pump, brakes etc and they did them for me with a service and mot.
I was a bit surprised that they didnt change the plugs or fuel filter. How long shud th plugs, coils and fuel filter last?
sorry bit of a novice when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:59:31 pm »

I just checked my service history and it doesnt look like the fuel filter or plugs have been changed for a long time! plugs never by the looks of it.:confused:
The cars done 47000..when i bought it from northampton vw i mentioned the cambelt,water pump, brakes etc and they did them for me with a service and mot.
I was a bit surprised that they didnt change the plugs or fuel filter. How long shud th plugs, coils and fuel filter last?
sorry bit of a novice when it comes to this sort of stuff.
I think the recommended interval for spark plugs is 60k miles (though I'd personally recommend every 40k miles is more appropriate).

For a petrol fuel filter, there is no actual recommended replacement interval from VW, though my own recommendations would be again every 40k miles - stretching to an absolute max of 80k miles if you squeak when you walk!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Raidevita

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 11:28:51 pm »
THanks for the advice..i spoke to my local vw dealer today and he checked my service history on the computer. He reckons its probably down to the fact that the spark plugs, pollen filter and air filters have not been done ever!
I rang the northampton vw dealer where i bought the car from and asked them why they only did an oil change and filter when it was actually due a major service? The saleswoman that i dealt with basically said that they only do what the sale people push though to them. Which is the bear minimum by the sounds of it..I would have thought being a main dealer for vw they shud surely look at the service history and follow what needs doing. Am i correct?? Ive got the car going back next wed but im not convinced theyre going to do much. I have that feeling that like sods law it wont stutter at all when they start the car the next day. Will they be able to pick up on any probs when they plug it in to the super computer??

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:58:19 pm »
THanks for the advice..i spoke to my local vw dealer today and he checked my service history on the computer. He reckons its probably down to the fact that the spark plugs, pollen filter and air filters have not been done ever!
I rang the northampton vw dealer where i bought the car from and asked them why they only did an oil change and filter when it was actually due a major service? The saleswoman that i dealt with basically said that they only do what the sale people push though to them. Which is the bear minimum by the sounds of it..I would have thought being a main dealer for vw they shud surely look at the service history and follow what needs doing. Am i correct?? Ive got the car going back next wed but im not convinced theyre going to do much. I have that feeling that like sods law it wont stutter at all when they start the car the next day. Will they be able to pick up on any probs when they plug it in to the super computer??

If they fail to rectify it, tell them you will be reporting them to VW UK customer services.  A VW garage should NEVER sell a 2nd hand car with an incomplete service history.  So that means if it was due say a major service at 4 years or 40k miles - and a previous owner only had a cheaper lesser service - then the car should have been either pushed through an auction, or sold on to an independent trader.  It should never have gone through a retail sale on a VW forcourt.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~