Make a donation

Author Topic: Goodyear Eagle F1 (Asymmetric) vs Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas  (Read 30016 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Goodyear Eagle F1 (Asymmetric) vs Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:02:54 am »
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a new set of tyres and had decided on the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas. I've ran them before so know they offer great performance, and value. However for not a lot more I could buy Goodyear Eagle F1s. I've read rave reviews for them, but I've also heard of 'issues' running them on a MK5.

What are these issues and has anyone experienced them?

Oh, and before anyone mentions PS3s, I'm running them on my 17s at the moment so I'm fully aware how good they are, but sadly at £140 a corner at the moment they're just too expensive.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Goodyear Eagle F1 (Asymmetric) vs Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:37:39 am »
I've only got direct personal experience of the GY F1 Asymmetrics (3 pairs) and it's nothing but positive about their performance. However, I was very frustrated by their lack of supply earlier this year.

I don't know how the Vreds compare but reports are excellent with the only practical negative I've heard being that they need to warm up to work best.

I've used the GY through a season of extremely heavy rain and on track days at Nurburgring (Nordschleife and GP circuits) and a wet day at Spa where I lost count of my laps after 15 but was overtaking most other cars in the wet because they were running slicker tyres. What surprises me most is that they don't lose as much grip as I expected when the tread diminishes. Best tyre by far for me so far but will try the PS3's next. The GY's are quite long lasting too and confidence inspiring in the dry.

EDIT:
I drive about 20k a year on all kinds of roads... Well, all except country 'C' roads which are only one car width and have a ridge in the centre!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:46:42 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:29:31 am »
Like RR has said I too have only had F1 Asymetrics and cant say anything bad about them. Be plenty of reviews on the sites you can order from.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 10:53:51 am »
I reckon it may be a close call between the F1's and Vreds rather than one standing out strongly against the other. This thread needs input from more than one driver (with a GTI/Ed30) who has used both tyres.

Asymmetric treads are definitely better than directionals in my experience - Better performing, better grip.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:25:42 am »
The difference in the two tyres is negligible if you look at all the reports. Vredesteins will not last quite as long as the GYEF1's, but that is reflected in the price difference. Usually 10% less distance onthe VUS's but they cost around 10% less. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:48:49 am »
The difference in the two tyres is negligible if you look at all the reports. Vredesteins will not last quite as long as the GYEF1's, but that is reflected in the price difference. Usually 10% less distance onthe VUS's but they cost around 10% less. :smiley:

That's spot on regarding the cost, at the moment I'm looking at £424 plays £472. One of the things that disappointed me most about the Vreds was the wear rate - I got about 8000 miles out if my fronts.

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 12:47:52 pm »

I too love my Goodyear F1's, but I am also near the end of life on them, and fancy trying PS3's

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 03:49:05 pm »
The only negative I can think of for the F1s is that traction isn't great in very cold weather. Bear in mind that the F1 is a summer tyre and Goodyear themselves acknowledege this Achille's heel in their literature.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 03:54:16 pm »
^^^^
@ bacillus:

When you say "very cold weather" do you mean anything sub zero?

I must admit I tend to drive slower and with extra care when my dashboard display shows low temperatures, and also my TyreSure tyre temperature monitor shows low numbers.

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 04:02:19 pm »

That's spot on regarding the cost, at the moment I'm looking at £424 plays £472. One of the things that disappointed me most about the Vreds was the wear rate - I got about 8000 miles out if my fronts.

@ AndrewParker where can you get them from for £424?  I'm assuming that for 4 and fitted???  As I'm in need of some new fronts and might give these a go at that price. 

Cheers

Nads

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 04:12:23 pm »
^^^^
My VW dealer always matches the cheapest price I can find the tyres I want, whether online or shop. He doesn't ask for proof either - We have a trusting relationship. :notworthy:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 04:32:18 pm »
my vreds lasted about 10k.  the treadware rating is 280, so compare that to the F1 to see how they actually compare wear wise.  different driving styles make it difficult to compare between peoples experience's.

they also a very good tyre in the wet.  id echo what the others say.  There will be very little difference between them, so either way id go with  what ever is available/cheapest/nearest.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 04:38:41 pm »

@ AndrewParker where can you get them from for £424?  I'm assuming that for 4 and fitted???  As I'm in need of some new fronts and might give these a go at that price.

That's the cost for 4 Vreds from mytyres.co.uk

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 04:42:17 pm »
I really liked my gyf1's however in 2 years I've replaced 3 fronts all with sidewall damage....now I am nuts avoiding potholes and cannot remember ever ditching any front wheel down one since I put on my pescaras.

I am not saying that there is any manufacturing issue with the tyre, I have not enough objective evidence to prove it....I am sure all tyres are subject to "snake bite" damage....just recently though I noticed some Internet chatter about this issue with this particular tyre. Doh sorry forget where.

Fookin great tyres though, but before I had them (and when I got the car) there were tyres on there you couldn't spell and the car wass totally transformed in terms of acceleration, braking and cornering as a result of the gy's.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 04:44:35 pm »

Fookin great tyres though, but before I had them (and when I got the car) there were tyres on there you couldn't spell and the car was totally transformed in terms of acceleration, braking and cornering as a result of the gy's.

....Were they called Ditchfinders?