Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear Demister Window Not Working?  (Read 6657 times)

Offline R32 mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Rear Demister Window Not Working?
« on: September 01, 2010, 01:36:47 pm »
I have a problem with the rear window not demisting the mist formed outside. (Not Inside)

Has anyone experienced this yet on the golfs? Has the element in the rear window gone or isit a fuse problem?

If so has anyone had this fixed under warranty?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Rear Demister Window Not Working?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:50:00 pm »
If it doesn't work and you have warranty, then they will fix it for you. Have you had a close look to see if it has a break in the orange line that travels around the window, i would say they wont pay repair it if this is the case, as it could have been broken by something on the parcel shelf.  :smiley:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:57:03 pm »
One of the fundamental reasons why heated rear screens appear not to work (apart from anything wrong such as a blown fuse) - is simply due to a dirty screen - on the INSIDE.  Clean the inside of the rear screen with a proper glass polish, ie, the stuff which dries to a white chalk, then buff it clean.  Then just watch how massively more efficient your heated rear screen becomes!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 06:59:10 pm »
If it doesn't work and you have warranty, then they will fix it for you. Have you had a close look to see if it has a break in the orange line that travels around the window, i would say they wont pay repair it if this is the case, as it could have been broken by something on the parcel shelf.  :smiley:
You would need to break every single horizontal wire for a rear screen heater to fail like that - they are wired in parallel, not series - so the scenario you suggest is highly unlikely.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~