Make a donation

Author Topic: Wet drivers side footwell front and back?  (Read 2925 times)

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Wet drivers side footwell front and back?
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:32:36 am »
As title says, has anybody got any ideas? :smiley:

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline Biff

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Wet drivers side footwell front and back?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:58:02 pm »
I had a similar issue; took the dealer stealer several trips to the body shop to figure it out (18 months). :fighting:

Started from delivery; rear light clusters kept misting up with condensation. I noticed water had collected in the drivers side footwells front & rear of my '08 GTI after heavy rain. Water had filled the spare wheel/jack area and as I was parked on a steep hill, the water flooded the interior. Check the spare wheel/jack for rust and water/damp under the spare wheel.

Stealer replaced the boot hatch seal and patched up a bad welding joint inside the rear boot area level with the rear bumper.

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 06:27:34 pm »
Thx for the reply, Checked spare wheel and no evidence of water in the boot?
so still a bit miffed, probably need to get someone to look underneath the car, :happy2:

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Saint Steve

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:40:32 pm »
Thx for the reply, Checked spare wheel and no evidence of water in the boot?
so still a bit miffed, probably need to get someone to look underneath the car, :happy2:
Do you have a sunroof?

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:59:30 pm »
Another area to look at is the rubber seal that goes along the door - its a self adhesive thing and failure is an issue for quite a few VAG cars.  Wife's polo had this issue.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 07:58:34 pm »
the thing is i have mats which are not wet, i only noticed when i removed them to hoover the car and noticed the footwells to be wet but not the mats,,???

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 08:47:33 pm »
Water leaks can be very difficult to track down.  For example it could be coming in from the windscreen, into the carpet under the dash and seeping through.  The backing of the mats is likely waterproof to some extent so won't be seeping up through that immediately. 

With the wife's polo, water was dripping through from the top of the door, onto the back of the drivers seat, eventually soaked through and was dripping from the bottom of the seat onto the floor in an area under the seat.  Couldn't understand how it was steaming up at every opportunity but nothing seemed damp.  Sussed it eventually.

One tip I came across but never used was to put different coloured chalk around suspect areas like the windsreen, door seals etc and see what colour the water was inside the car!
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant