Make a donation

Author Topic: revo dsg map - what are the benefits?  (Read 5526 times)

Offline heavyd

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
revo dsg map - what are the benefits?
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:53:18 pm »
I was just curious about what this actually does?
From what I have gathered,
if you are in 'M' mode, it doesnt downshift or upshift automatically
the gearchanges are quicker
the rev limiter is raised on the launch control.

what difference does it make regarding the torque limiter?
I'm just trying to gather what you get for £350 :stupid:
Is it really worth the money?

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: revo dsg map - what are the benefits?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:59:11 pm »
your paying for alot of R&D like with all good maps!

i thought is stopped the shift up when in s mode too?

and it rises the torque limit too.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:18:39 pm »
As you mentioned, no kick down in manual, rev limit is raised in all modes, and D mode is remapped to be sportier, and as ed says torque limit raised to stop the ECU backing off.  Think i have seen some RR logs that show especially on KO4, it allows an increase in max power if you have a KO3 you wont see such an increase as you have already run out of puff!

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:30:47 pm »
Gents,

Long story but as I've decided to look at cars with a bit more base spec than mime (and namely a DSG ED30) I ended up test driving what turned out to be a CAT D car with DSG the other day.

Long story short, the chap didn't know it was CAT D until I checked it and was distraught, so I walked away. But on the test drive, the car felt MILES more powerful than my standard manual GTI so I'm confident it was remapped.

Looking into more detail, I read that the DSG box isn't rated because it 'interferes' a lot... Changing up too early etc.

From the way the CAT D pulled well into the redline in S mode and actively worked the gears I can only surmise that it was both engine and gearbox mapped... Does that sound right?

If so, that's exactly what I want from mybED30 (albeit with been more K04 goodness) and I was wondering.... Do I need two separate maps?

Is there a company doing them 'all i'm etc?

Thanks and hope this is on topic enough not to be crashing the thread!!

Matt

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 05:36:42 pm »
^^^^^^^^

Do you mean re-map the DSG software and ecu? Most companies that do Revo do both and it can be done at the same time.

I'm getting both done on mine tommorow at R-Tech in Hinkley although it's a K03 not K04  :sad1:

Still, looking forward to it though!!  :laugh:

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 05:39:34 pm »
Sounds good... Is it 'double bubble' to map both or like, still 500 quid or whatever?

Matt

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 05:42:48 pm »
Sounds good... Is it 'double bubble' to map both or like, still 500 quid or whatever?

Matt

The guys at R-Tech are great, they said they will offer a discount if I do both together. Will find out more tomorrow when I go down as I'm undecided as to whether to go for Revo ECU map or their own one... Will have a good chat to Nick and decide which would be best for me.

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 05:50:09 pm »
Would you mind letting me know? Via PM if need be!!

Matt

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 06:07:12 pm »
No worries mate.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 08:23:02 pm »
Gents,

Long story but as I've decided to look at cars with a bit more base spec than mime (and namely a DSG ED30) I ended up test driving what turned out to be a CAT D car with DSG the other day.

Long story short, the chap didn't know it was CAT D until I checked it and was distraught, so I walked away. But on the test drive, the car felt MILES more powerful than my standard manual GTI so I'm confident it was remapped.

Looking into more detail, I read that the DSG box isn't rated because it 'interferes' a lot... Changing up too early etc.

From the way the CAT D pulled well into the redline in S mode and actively worked the gears I can only surmise that it was both engine and gearbox mapped... Does that sound right?

If so, that's exactly what I want from mybED30 (albeit with been more K04 goodness) and I was wondering.... Do I need two separate maps?

Is there a company doing them 'all i'm etc?

Thanks and hope this is on topic enough not to be crashing the thread!!

Matt

Don't forget that the K04 based ED30 is more powerful as stock than a stock GTI anyway. It is very easy to tell if the DSG is remapped - stick it in to manual and take it to the limiter, if it bounces of the limiter without changing up then it has a DSG remap. If it has one I would say you can be 95% certain that it has an engine remap too. I disagree with your comment about the DSG not being 'rated' it is an excellent piece of engineering although searching on here will bring up mechatronics issues, which are known issues that are well documented. It is a bit like marmite and down to personal preference and what you want out of the drive too.

Currently there are only two DSG remaps available in the UK, which work independently of the engine ECU remap namely GIAC and of course, REVO. The DSG remap is a remap of the TCU - transmission control unit. I have had both on my car, currently running with the Revo Stage 2 map and IMHO prefer the Revo offering, especially as it is very well mated to go with their maps.

Any Revo dealer will be able to provide you with the DSG map as well, which of course is consider as a separate product, of which there is Stage 1 + Stage 2.

HTH

Dom

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 09:03:57 pm »
I've got a Revo DSG remap with my Revo2 ECU remap on a K03 Mk5 GTI. It's very subtle but very smooooth and helps the car drive as your brain expects it to... Very 'manual' in feel.

All jerkiness, which was only occasional, has disappeared.

I think it's quite expensive though - Just my opinion.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 09:13:48 pm »
So does it actually increase power further up the rev range I take it, by increasing the torque limiter?
Does the 'D' mode feel any better? It feels like I'm in a 1 litre engine when its in 'D' :laugh:........until I plant my foot down that is :jumping:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 09:56:13 pm »

So does it actually increase power further up the rev range I take it, by increasing the torque limiter?

Does the 'D' mode feel any better? It feels like I'm in a 1 litre engine when its in 'D' :laugh:........until I plant my foot down that is :jumping:

....It possibly helps power delivery but not an increase I've particularly noticed. More of an improved access to the power.

I only use 'D' when in urban 30/40 mph zones or in traffic queues. Otherwise I think and drive manual using the paddleshifters. Occasionally use 'S' for busy multi junction roundabouts.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 10:01:03 pm »
I know more about the Revo map as it is my preferred map. This is from Revo "Stage1 DSG software Drive and Sport shift maps are based on the sportiest available factory specification maps. With our global market, we have access to, and have been able to test all factory variants and hand pick the sportiest factory maps upon which to base our shift maps. European GTi maps have slightly increased rpm shift points for different throttle positions over other factory versions, giving a sportier drive to cars running other regional software.

Revo Stage2 DSG software has even sportier shift maps to complement the turbo upgrades."

Unless you are running a big turbo DSG stage 2 is not really necessary. Map does not increase power, just how it it transmitted through the drive train.

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 07:32:45 pm »