Make a donation

Author Topic: will any fuel pump fit?  (Read 2809 times)

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
will any fuel pump fit?
« on: September 05, 2010, 06:47:31 pm »
does anyone know if any gti fuel pump will fit any gti?

my part number is  06F 127 025 D and i have 2 metal pipes coming out the bottom, will the ones with the rubber hose attachments fit, just need different screw attachments in the bottom?

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
Re: will any fuel pump fit?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:54:38 pm »
I dont think it will fit. The pump its self will probably fit to the engine housing but fitting your metal pipes to the bottom....... I would have thought this is a no go.

I take it you have struggled with the leak?

Where abouts are you?

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:56:45 pm »
yea, just want to swap the lot now as its really not doing my health any good!

the bottom of the one im looking at, has the 2 screws just the same if i removed those screws it looks the same as mine and could put my screws in.

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:03:52 pm »
Edd short of me volunteering to head to Preston (just checked your profile) how can we help you get it back on the road? Have you any pictures of what state its in?

I have been in situations like this in the past and its often the simple fix that does it.

Don't despair! :happy2:

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:12:48 pm »
someone (not me) i think has threaded one of the screws.

now i can order just the screws (£25 in total) and have them by tue, to find that the actual pump is threaded inside too...or i can get a new pump (one for sale in the forsale section) and the screws here by tue, then fit it...i also have auto internals so will have to jump on a quick learning curve on swapping those over

but the worry i have is this difference in pumps, if the 'k' version is the same as mine 'D'. My train of thought says that they used the same pump and just used a different screw fitting on the left nut.

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 07:27:39 pm »
I think you mean cross threaded, as both sides are threaded. Look at the connectors, can you see something similar to the thread on this?

If it was me then I would just buy the two connectors that screw into the pump.

As in the picture above you need to check both the bolt (from the left) and the right hand side pipe connector for cross threading. The bolt can be replaced but if the right hand side connector nut is cross threaded then its a bigger job.

If the two connectors that are attached to the pump have not been out then the pump is not a problem its just the connectors.

When tightening did you use a spanner on the left hand side? Or just the spline socket?

I can talk you through it if you want.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 07:33:20 pm »
the right isnt leaking, i can see the fuel come out the left.

the pump isnt off at the moment, im 99% sure its not the nut with the spline bolt that goes in the bottom of the left hand side of the pump. i think its just the gold screw thats letting out the fuel, but i dont know if its the screw alone that causing it or if the pump is also cross threaded so much that thats causing the leak too.

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 07:47:17 pm »
OK I have seen this before. The left hand side is tightened by the spline bolt only. There is no need to hold the gold brass bit at the top. It only has to be nipped tight (so tell your mate The Hulk to step away) :signLOL:

It is possible you have bent the pipe slightly which has caused the union which carries the fuel to not meet the face of the pump connector level - hence a leak. Look at the picture of mine the pipe almost comes straight to the front of the engine bay.
You are lucky that is all on the left. So worse case scenario you need to buy a new gold brass left hand side connector, pipe and splined headed bolt. Fitting the pipe would be a pain in the arse though as there is no room.

I would seriously suggest taking the pump off checking the left hand side brass connector for cross threading in the pump and if nothing is found refit and nip tight.

I recon this would fix it as long as Mr Hulk has not cross threaded it.

Oh and don't be tempted to apply too much force to the pump mounting bolts (they will round off).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 07:55:21 pm by bodger00 »

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 07:50:29 pm »
Just a heads up but to switch from a hpfp with the banjo bolt to the newer version bamboo connector will require new fuel piping.

If you haven't alreadydone so then I suggest you change the brass connector that the banjo bolt screws into as its threading is easily deformed if cross threaded or over tightened.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 08:03:20 pm »
that brass connector im hoping will go into and variant of pump im hoping

the new pump im looking at:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 10:17:09 pm »
The newer pumps come with the bamboo connector.

On my car with the banjo bolt I had to swap that bamboo connector off the new hpfp  and replace it with the brass connector that the banjo bolt screws into. It was an easy swap as the threading and dimensions for both are the same.
iirc the cost for changing the fuel line to accomodate the newer bamboo connector was going to be close to £100 so I stuck with the banjo bolt setup.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 10:37:24 pm »
The newer pumps come with the bamboo connector.

On my car with the banjo bolt I had to swap that bamboo connector off the new hpfp  and replace it with the brass connector that the banjo bolt screws into. It was an easy swap as the threading and dimensions for both are the same.
iirc the cost for changing the fuel line to accomodate the newer bamboo connector was going to be close to £100 so I stuck with the banjo bolt setup.

so in conclusion, any pump will fit any car aslong as you swap the brass screws

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 10:53:23 pm »
From my experience, yes...

If you are going for another pump it's probably ideal if you can get one of the later version models.