Make a donation

Author Topic: Hanging Out With Teenage Birds....  (Read 14513 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Hanging Out With Teenage Birds....
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 10:23:57 pm »
^^^^
Sometimes I worry too! I'm thinking that perhaps the average age of the females in my current life is a tad low, but it's just the cards I get dealt. I'm co-producing and playing on an album for a 21yo singer at the moment and I wish that A) she wasn't quite so pretty, and B) that I was at least 30 years younger.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 10:25:39 pm »
Pictures please Robin.  :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 10:28:54 pm »

Pictures please Robin.  :wink:

....You'll have to buy last week's local paper - She did an interview.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 10:51:15 pm »
...I hardly think my local paper is the same as yours.  :sad1:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 08:43:08 am »
Nice one Robin  :happy2: Good to see the poor fella ended up in the right hands and had a happy ending.. :congrats:

The last bird that was in my kitchin didn't have such a happy ending unfortunately...  :sad1:

Well not for him anyway..  :party:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 10:12:49 am »
^^^^
Talking of birds having unhappy (for them) endings:

I was on my knees peering into my wildlife pond when "flap! flap! flap! bang! crash! thump!" a body falls out of the 50ft Leylandii tree in my garden. I investigate and find a young Wood Pigeon... Very dead with its neck and jugular ripped open and the rest intact. Not quite ready to leave the nest and quite large. I was wondering what the heck had done the damage - A vampire squirrel? Anyway, I picked it up and disposed of the body in a hedge off my property to let nature take its course.

I then continued my pond watching and had just spotted a diving beetle when I heard more frantic flapping up high in the nearby tree. Looking up into the dense branchwork I spotted another dead pigeon on its way down but attached above it was what I at first thought was an Owl due to stubby wings and brown colouration. I soon discovered it was a Sparrowhawk and that he wasn't going to let go of his prize. As he was so focussed he wasn't much bothered by my presence only about 15ft away. As Leylandii trees have masses of branches he was having difficulties finding a way through and was somewhat handicapped by the size of his prey being almost as big as he was. He then spotted an old nest and took it there. After staring at each other for a few minutes he got the message I wasn't a threat and then proceeded to pluck and rip apart the pigeon, occasionally showering me with bits below.

Two hours later he still hadn't finished his feast! I tried to grab some photos but the bloody autofocus on my compact digital camera kept focussing on small branches and there wasn't enough light. What I also saw was a Blue Tit perch within only 6ft of the Sparrowhawk and be totally unruffled - Obviously realising it was safe at the moment.

I have a seat at the bottom of my Leylandii tree and it's amazing what goes on very privately in there.

^ The best shot I could do (not very good) - Spot the Sparrowhawk.

^ Seat under my Leylandii tree - Spot the Robin!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 06:48:25 pm »
Continuing the Sparrowhawk's Wood Pigeon Fest....

When I went on a garden walkabout at about 11:00am I noticed my garden seat was covered in even more bits of pigeon and looked up into the tree to spy the Sparrowhawk still feeding! Had he stuffed himself to the point where he couldn't leave? Had he roosted there for the night? Had he been home and returned? Surprising he was there this morning from about 6:00pm the previous evening, but he was gone at about 1:15pm when I returned home.

Some people I've told this story to have had a "Eugh!" reaction but they're all meat eaters themselves so what's the problem? It's Nature's way and we all predate on something, even vegetarians. I've bought some tasty Lamb Chump Chops from my local butcher for tonight  :party: - I'm in the mood for meat!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 07:59:18 pm »
I'm in the mood for meat!

Steady on there Robin.  :laugh:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 11:18:15 pm »
Sometimes I find the way animals feed fascinating. Over hundreds or thousands of years, they've developed a particular method or style. Simply amazing. Much better to watch than some muppet stuffing his face with food.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 11:27:41 pm »

Sometimes I find the way animals feed fascinating. Over hundreds or thousands of years, they've developed a particular method or style. Simply amazing. Much better to watch than some muppet stuffing his face with food.

^ Sorry! I know you've seen this shot a hundred times but I couldn't resist it   :evilgrin:  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 12:18:18 am »
Sorry! I know you've seen this shot a hundred times but I couldn't resist it   :evilgrin:  :happy2:
I was debating whether to write what I did. The thought of you posting that pic did enter my mind but I figured you'd have risen above it by now!  :grin:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 12:37:53 am »
^^^^
:laugh:

Moi? Rise above something? Surely you know me better than that by now when it comes to posting pics  :evilgrin:  :happy2:

Saint Steve

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 09:39:40 am »
On the subject of having tits hanging off the end of your nuts.....................................................

sorry to disapoint Robin  :wink:

The look says it all from this little poor sod!!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:03 am »
Some interesting shots again Robin, nice to have a sparrow hawk in your garden, is that pile of wood I spy meant for beetles and insects?

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 10:35:32 am »
^^^^
Did you take that tit on yer nuts shot, Steve? You should have lots of birdies around your place with woods at the back  :happy2: