Make a donation

Author Topic: How much damage could a bit of water do...  (Read 4596 times)

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: How much damage could a bit of water do...
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 07:04:05 pm »
I often judge eBay items and if the description is badly written, it usually turns out that the item has been incorrectly described and is more trouble than it is worth.

Cat b is unlikely, either the seller doesn't have a clue what the car actually is or it's a mistype. Either way 10k for this car? I would consider 7.5-8k but not a penny more. As a cheap car to sell on for a profit only, wouldn't buy it as an everyday car as most flood damaged cars have ongoing problems, hence the insurers refusing to repair

Saint Steve

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 07:11:48 pm »
smells fishy to me  :innocent:

Im sure it did once :congrats:

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 08:39:19 pm »
Pic 11/11 the blokes got a sponge in his hand... Lol is he still trying to dry it out?

Offline BenR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 08:51:04 pm »
I personally would never ever consider buying a car on the register - might be cheaper at first but id rather put up the cash and buy a straight one!!! cat d, c or b they will never be the same, saw this ad on ebay thought it seemed a bit shady! Steer clear of it...

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 09:27:37 pm »
Ive had my golf for the past 3 years now and its been perfect,  its a cat c extensive front and rear damage...never had a problem and VW have done quite a bit of warranty work on it with no quibbles even told them a few times before that it was cat c write off.

Now and again you do find a good car that is on the register but that eddy owner sounds a bit pished

Darren

Offline VWKD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • VWKD
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 12:14:29 am »
OK

got a mail from the seller and it wasn't in CAPS  :grin:

Quote from: Ebay Seller
Hi mate,cat b cars can go back on the road no problem as long as dvla swansea has put a VIC marker on the car,without that marker you will never get a logbook for the car,hence spares only,the car has done approx 5 to 6 thousand miles since we mended it last december,we removed the seats and carpets to completely dry the car out,only the carpet was wet,seats were dry,checked for water in the intercooler and air box,non present ,charged battery and fired straight up,no faults ect.the warranty is still valid,as long as you dont say anything to them of course,the box was a bit jerky on changing gear,rang them up,booked it in,even got a courtesy car ,collected 1 week later,bobs your uncle brand new box fitted no problems..hope this helps

Anyone confirm what he is saying about Cat B being able to be put back on the road ?

Have to say from the comments on here I'd be a bit  :stupid: to consider this and the fact that yet again it's freaking miles away from me, going for a quick squizz and trying to get a take on it/the seller is out of the question.

next.....

Hope you guys don't mind me using you as a sounding board... I certainly feel I'll owe a fair few  :drinking: when I do actually find one.

I'm hoping with the new plate coming out there will be a few more on the market and I've certainly noticed prices do seem to be dropping a bit in the couple of months I've been looking

thanks again to all

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:44:06 am by VWKD »
1971 T2 Camper
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV
1999 Passat TDI Running On Chip Fat

Offline CaptainJack

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 12:37:08 am »
 Wouldn't touch that with a barge pole ...In fact, prolly need a barge pole to steer it..

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 03:44:58 am »
just been reading on piston heads that a cat b is a vehicle that is not to be put back on the road but parts can be salvaged off it,
Also cat b can only be dealt with through a EPA registered dismantaler..one other thing it says is most flood damaged cars are registered has cat b.
So go by what has already been said he has either got his wires crossed with the cat status of the car or he is out to fleece some one?

Darren

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 07:44:37 am »
Someone on here might be able to HPI it for you to see its status, as other have said dont touch it IMO.
 To the OP , i personally would save up for a better car instead of looking for all these supposed bargains, if you bought this water damaged one imagine trying to sell it a few years down the line, nobody will want it, look at you know with it, IMO its almost worthless except for parts.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 08:20:30 am »
It's difficult when buying a car we ALL go in with beer goggles on. I bought an accident damaged 3 series years back, saved 3-4k on new but....it drove great until the engine mounts shreared. Whilst this wasn't a significant in terms of cost for the next 2 years I was never happy that I was driving a tainted vehicle.

Btw in my case it was a horse that landed on the bonnet and trashed it. I was young and trying to get into a car I otherwise couldn't really afford.

Glad your coming round. Just walk away less heartache all round.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 09:10:13 am »
Simples - walk away, flood damage can cause no end of long term electrical issues.

Offline CaptainJack

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 01:01:13 pm »
The truth is that this guy is a flat out liar. You CAN not put a cat B write-off back on the road, ever. That's very clear. His saying you can put it back on "no problem" is bullcrap. By its very definition a cat B can never go back on.

Something incredibly dodgy about all this...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:04:09 pm by CaptainJack »