Make a donation

Author Topic: APR stage III with stock catback???  (Read 1921 times)

Offline shamrock

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
APR stage III with stock catback???
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:27:46 pm »
I have recently purchased the stage III kit from APR for my 2008 S3.  I have a question as to what catback modification is necessary to compliment the kit.  As of now I cannot purchase an upgraded catback (ex. miltek) because in order to do so I would need to import it and the emission's law in my country won't allow it.  Even if they could be persuaded the tax on the catback would be devastating.  The laws on car modifications here are crazy.  I could be fined for driving 19 inch rims instead of 18; things are so strict.  That leaves me with two options; fabricating the catback here or sticking with stock.  As to the first option I am not sure as to the reliabilty of having it built to fit my car.  The question is whether I can stick with the stock catback and fabricate the downpipe?  What would be the implications of this?  Would the car run the same?  Overheat?  Would I be causing any damage and if not would I be utilizing the the full power of the kit? Do I need an upgraded catback?

Thanks

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: APR stage III with stock catback???
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:41:31 am »
you could run the std cat back and just fit a reducer to mate the larger downpipe to the standard cat back.  minimal performance gains from the cat back exhaust anyway.  the only thing you will gain is noise.  the std cat back is 2.5" iirc, so you need a reducer to join that.  they are around £15-25 on ebay

Offline shamrock

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:05:34 am »
The new turbo set-up will not be impeded?  Bottle necked or chocked because of the smaller diameter.  Could you tell me exactly what a reducer is and where to get it.  Which kind do I need?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 02:59:56 pm »
the emission's law in my country won't allow it. 

Hmm, I'm a little confused here as the catback itself doesn't affect emissions as it'smain function is to silence. It's the sports cat or the lack of one that will/may affect emission levels.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:26:32 pm »
The new turbo set-up will not be impeded?  Bottle necked or chocked because of the smaller diameter.  Could you tell me exactly what a reducer is and where to get it.  Which kind do I need?
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=exhaust+reducer&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Offline shamrock

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:00:13 pm »
In order for me to bring anything into the country that is related to any mechanical part of my car I need to apply for special permission.  This permisssion is only given after that specific part is tested and tested again in a special government lab.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:05:52 pm »
why on earth did u buy the APR Stage 3 kit (GT28RS??) then if you have such strict laws on modding and having to use a standard cat back exhaust?

Offline shamrock

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:22:43 am »
Most of the people that get caught are young kids that meet and race and post videos on the net.  I don't do any of that.  All I want is a car that when I kiss the pedal it makes my heart race :innocent: After speaking to APR they said it is o.k. to run stock I'll just lose 5-10 hp and the boost will kick in about 200 rpm later.  Their main tech has stage III with stock catback.