Make a donation

Author Topic: Protecting Brake Calipers  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Protecting Brake Calipers
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:33:34 pm »
Got some shiney new brake calipers powder coated red by Dave B and kinda thinking I want to keep them that way rather than see them turn pink like the current ones.

Was thinking of perphaps putting a couple of coats of Jetseal 109 on them before fitting, any other suggestions or would this be good enough?
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Protecting Brake Calipers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:50:52 pm »
I can't remember how good Jetseal is at higher temperatures but Finish Kare 1000P is a high-temperature sealant that would be best suited IMO.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 09:20:44 pm »
I use Autoglym EGP on mine. Two coats 3 times a year. Seems to do the job fine - stay bright red and clean with just regular suds & water

Offline Slickline

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:14:04 pm »
Any ideas on rejuvenating the red calipers on my K1 as they're starting to fade a little. Would T cut or any polish do a reasonable job or is there a more suitable product?

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 12:48:41 am »
Done some research based on replies and the Finsh Kare seems the one to go for. JPC recommended it in another thread for the same application as well as numerous posts on DW.

Only problem is finding some , CYC and Auto perfection are both out of stock  :sad:

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:37:54 pm »
Here's a post I made on DW:

Just got some new uprated brake calipers powder coated shiny red for my Golf GTI Edition 30 and want to protect them as the original red ones are looking more pink than red.

I wanted to use Finish Kare FK1000 but couldn't find any for sale all retailers were out of stock so I bought some Collinie 845 insultor to use instead.

Anyway I've read that you should leave fresh paint alone (i.e. no wax or sealants) for the first few weeks. Does this also apply to powder coated finishes as well?

Also to consider is it the lesser of two evils to put the sealant on rather than letting the brake dust to do its worst?

Cheers Rob

Offline chip20

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 8
    • http://absolutevaletinguk.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 10:30:26 pm »
Any ideas on rejuvenating the red calipers on my K1 as they're starting to fade a little. Would T cut or any polish do a reasonable job or is there a more suitable product?
I have been told autosol does the trick.Not tried it yet though!

Offline ScrupesGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 12:01:29 am »
I did mine with halfrauds engine laquer, easy enough with a decent sized artists brush and stay red! done the same on my previous A4 and the finish lasted about 5 yrs before lack of cleaning them made the finish fade.  use the silver for the hubs too and the brakes look much better through the wheels.