Make a donation

Author Topic: Hella Daytime Running Light LED's....  (Read 119048 times)

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
Re: Daytime Running Light LED's....
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2009, 03:30:07 pm »
TT, I was just going to say the same - You need to take a chill pill! 

You are just so aggressive in most/all of the posts you write
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2009, 05:15:01 pm »
^^^^
Gosh! I've been out most of today and come back to all this.

I'd just like to say to Sean (TT) that I'm sorry if my reply to you caused you to go off on one - I do understand and respect your need to ensure that every word posted is absolutely as correct as it can be and in fact, in my own somewhat different way I try to do the same.

In case you are thinking otherwise I am not trying to suggest that Audi were doing anything illegal - Quite the contrary because every car manufacturer is very strictly obliged to do everything within the rules. Audi are to be greatly praised for their creative thinking and innovation - Hence their current DRL solutions.

What I was trying to say (albeit in the other forum) was that Audi, again as every manufacturer would be expected to do, had so far produced DRL versions which weren't necessarily going to be future proof in their switching - Not this would matter anyway because the laws are never restrospective in such matters.

I haven't specifically substantiated various statements I've made because I would have to spend many hours going through all the documents I have read from many different countries and authorities who had commissioned studies, surveys, and reports on the subject of dedicated DRL's and how best to legislate their use.

It's because my DRL's are in the foglight position that I felt a need to be able to stand up for myself if challenged legally, and hence my research. I didn't bother to save all those documents to my hard drive.

If I am wrong about anything I've posted I can assure you and everyone else that it is entirely unintentional. As SteveP rightly says, it's up to others to make their own minds up about what I or anyone else writes in our reviews or posts but I do so with every good intention to network and share in this community - To try and give back some of what I gain in knowledge and help from others.

I honestly try my best not to misinform but I am only human. I think that everyone here will agree that whenever I discover I have made a mistake I'm not so proud I can't admit it and I always correct it if I can.

:grouphug:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2009, 05:17:35 pm »

lol stired it up here ! think the main reason i dislike them is cos there is a rover 214 in my home town with them and as you can guess they look crap , and from that day on even std fitting day ligfhts just dont do it for me .

....Now that reason is one I can understand - A bit subjective but I understand.

No problem mate :drinking:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2009, 07:00:54 pm »
If I've got standard halogen headlights on my Mk5 GTI and a genuine VAGCOM lead, is there any other DRL setup I can have other than RR's in this thread?

I suspect I'm limited with not having factory fit Xenons?

Cheers.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2009, 07:10:10 pm »

If I've got standard halogen headlights on my Mk5 GTI and a genuine VAGCOM lead, is there any other DRL setup I can have other than RR's in this thread?

I suspect I'm limited with not having factory fit Xenons?

Cheers.

....Quite the contrary, Pete - You can't fit Hurdy-style headlight units with built-in LED strips if you have Xenons and aren't willing to dump them.

Check out Hurdy's.

HTH :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2009, 09:20:34 pm »
Edit: Greeners beat me too it, but anyway here's my comments on this.

^^^ Chill out T_T.

Had an almighty sh!t day yesterday, but yeah, your right.

But then what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander too!  A few others on this forum need to pop a chill pill too!  :wink:

You more than most should know Robin will be Robin with his views on things, especially  DRL's.

So wat are you saying?  Nobody is alowed to 'correct' what Robin posts - even if it is BS?  :confused:

The vast majority of the members of this site are wise enough to make there own informed choices about the products they buy, and I suspect aren't lead only by things like the product views on this site.

I agree - absolutely - about peeps making their own 'informed' choices. :happy2:

However, rightly or wrongly, peeps will use info on forums like these.  But when someone, whoever it may be, and I'm not having a did at Robin - creates a post with such an extreme emphasis as to quote what is legal, and what is not legal - but then someone else finds out that the said post is factually incorrect - then we ALL have a right to correct said info.  Don't forget, this forum, just like the gazillions of other fora out there, will all be archived by Google, and can be seen by all (unless you have tweaked the settings in the Admin Control Panel) - so if a 'non-member' of this forum read Robins post on the very strong 'legal' positions of DRLs - then they might take that as gospel!

As much as I know you feel you need to ensure every post is correct to your only personal standards

There's no need for sarcasm, Steve!

there is no need to give the old fella a verbal beating every time.  :laugh:

LOL - but I think the 'old fella' can dish it out too!  :laugh:  :notworthy:

WTF is the 'group hug' smiley?
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2009, 09:22:46 pm »

It's here Sean!  :wink:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2009, 09:24:27 pm »

Where, where, where - I'm bu&&erd if i can see/find it?  :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleye:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2009, 09:28:11 pm »

Where, where, where - I'm bu&&erd if i can see/find it?  :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleye:

Next to the lol smiley is this: [more]  :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2009, 09:29:19 pm »
Edit: Greeners beat me too it, but anyway here's my comments on this.

^^^ Chill out T_T.

Had an almighty sh!t day yesterday, but yeah, your right.

But then what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander too!  A few others on this forum need to pop a chill pill too!  :wink:

That is one thing I 100% agree with you on Sean  :happy2:

I am NOT in any way saying your not entitled to an opinion on someone else's post/comments/statement, you have the exact same rights as any other member of this site.

The site is heavily indexed by google and the other search engines, I am very keen to ensure we are a reliable source of information on t'internet for all things Mk5, 2.0 TFSI, etc, etc

All I am saying is there is a way to go about it. At present your tone of reply in this thread was not acceptable to me.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2009, 10:34:50 pm »

Is your seat falling apart on the right hand side of the picture??

....Went to see my upholstery friend and he just got a blunt edge and pushed it back in. So I now know how to sort it if it happens again. A hard 15-lap session at Spa is possibly what did it!

Thanks again for spotting it - I'm never in the back of my car and hadn't noticed it (though I vacuumed the interior the other day) :drinking:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2009, 11:31:49 pm »
- look at 3.12 - dipped headlamps AND DRLs on.  :wink:
------

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2009, 11:49:20 pm »

....Yes, but I've only ever said that my aftermarket Hella's state mine should be wired/switched the way they are and that they (Hella) quote a Euro rule. I'm not saying that Audi are illegal.

Discussion in some countries has suggested and proposed that DRL's should only be dedicated and auto-switched like mine are. and some bodies/groups have been against this idea. Audi have worked within the manufacturer's rules which they have been subjected to and done so with great style and panache imo.

Please, do we have to continue debating this detail? I'm thinking that I haven't explained myself in a way which you understand and that unfortunately you may be also taking some of my sentences out of context.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2009, 01:18:43 am »

....Yes, but I've only ever said that my aftermarket Hella's state mine should be wired/switched the way they are and that they (Hella) quote a Euro rule. I'm not saying that Audi are illegal.

Discussion in some countries has suggested and proposed that DRL's should only be dedicated and auto-switched like mine are. and some bodies/groups have been against this idea. Audi have worked within the manufacturer's rules which they have been subjected to and done so with great style and panache imo.

Please, do we have to continue debating this detail? I'm thinking that I haven't explained myself in a way which you understand and that unfortunately you may be also taking some of my sentences out of context.

I think we can put it to bed now! :happy2: :smiley:

I just posted the Audi link because it has been the first time I actually found the two working together. :wink:

Finally, just one other uber cool way which Audi interpret their DRLs - have you noticed how if say a left indicator is flashing, then the corresponding left DRL LEDs actually dim quite a bit compared to those on the other side - very clever, and very thoughtful.  :happy2:

Anyway, have a glass of grape juice on me!  :drinking:  :grouphug:
------

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2009, 02:15:16 pm »
RR, how feasible with x amount of work is it to enable the full beam DRL like some Audi models (A6/A3's) on Mk5's?
If I need to purchase extra CANBUS modules, I don't mind a bit of work involved if an end result is achievable. This for me would be something I'd like because I'm limited as I don't have factory Xenons (North US DRLs are a no go).

Ta,
Pete.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 02:17:53 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door