Make a donation

Author Topic: Service needed now!  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Robert74

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
Service needed now!
« on: September 14, 2010, 08:01:09 pm »
My service indicator is telling me I need a service now. I had a full service in March this year and have done only 5000 miles since. Does this seem right?

My daily commute is 10 miles each way plus other short journeys of only a few miles and the occasional 80 mile and 300 mile trips. The car has been on the dyno twice since the service and is stage 2 and does occasionally get driven hard but not all the time.

Should I ignore it and wait until March next year or get it serviced?

Thanks for your thoughts.
2006 GTI 5 door DSG

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Service needed now!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:06:27 pm »
My service indicator is telling me I need a service now. I had a full service in March this year and have done only 5000 miles since. Does this seem right?

My daily commute is 10 miles each way plus other short journeys of only a few miles and the occasional 80 mile and 300 mile trips. The car has been on the dyno twice since the service and is stage 2 and does occasionally get driven hard but not all the time.

Should I ignore it and wait until March next year or get it serviced?

Thanks for your thoughts.

your on Longlife ?

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:08:39 pm »
I'd say its a bit wrong. my daily commute is similar too and had my first service after 6 months but with 10k miles covered (oooops)

might have to retire the girl for a couple of months  :signLOL:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:12:29 pm »
Where was the last service done?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:28:18 pm »
The service indicator for long life wont work as its supposed to on a tuned car, and with your short journeys I guess its triggered the oil quality sensor (thats assuming it was reset at your last service) you can probably ignore it for a year, or if your oil is looking a bit ropey just get an oil change, but you would be better to switch the computer over to time and distance so it will pop up on a year and 10k.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Robert74

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 09:41:31 pm »
No its not on Longlife. The last service was done by AMD in Essex and the service indicator was reset. Could it have been set on a Longlife schedule instaed of time and distance?
2006 GTI 5 door DSG

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:46:54 pm »
you should be able to check through VCDS if you have it and you can always reset it and switch it over to time and distance. 

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.