Make a donation

Author Topic: had a go in a mapped vectra VXR today  (Read 20173 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
had a go in a mapped vectra VXR today
« on: September 11, 2010, 03:44:17 pm »
holy sh!t, this thing shifted big style. 

he said it makes slightly above 300Hp between 3.5k and 5.5k with nearly 400Ibft torque.  i 100% agree.  it felt massively quicker than my old stage 2+ vRS, much quicker than the 6MPS i test drove.  4th gear was absolutely savage.   

As for the handling, after reading the reviews from top gear and that footage of the Vectra suffering horrendous understeer, i completely disagree.  considering it was running on standard suspension it handled really well.  Really surprised me, i was honestly ready to rip it.

according to the guy, the TG team disconnected fuses on the VXR to disable the traction control, but this also disabled the electronic dampers or something hence the shocking handling.

lit the inside wheel on a few corners, no doubt it would be worse in the wet, but i reckon an LSD and this car could be very good indeed.  V6 turbo engine sounded very good as well.  id love to try one of these with a TBE, and intercooler.  it would sound ace and go like sh!t off a shovel then

but its a vauxhall, with half of halfords attached to it...............

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: had a go in a mapped vectra VXR today
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 03:48:03 pm »
I thought they were 4wd :confused:

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 03:49:34 pm »
I thought they were 4wd :confused:

insignia vxr is :happy2:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 03:50:32 pm »
That's the new insignia VXR Ian. The vectra was FWD

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 03:56:40 pm »
definitely FWD,  it'd need an LSD for any mor power id say, it was on the limit for breaking grip all the time.  Could have been the tyres maybe,

power seemed to drop off early though like the MPS did though!!!!  quicker to change gear at about 5.5k.  strange though, the TFSi doesn't suffer that at all
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:00:03 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 07:52:08 pm »
You been in a k04 tfsi stage 2 plus yet?

The story I heard about the topgear press car was that it was a early prototype that they tested and not the finished product, I would doubt that they would fiddle with the cars tbh.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 08:01:48 pm »

The story I heard about the topgear press car was that it was a early prototype that they tested and not the finished product, I would doubt that they would fiddle with the cars tbh.

yeah, ive driven 4 of them now.  one at stage 1, and the others at stage 2+ (APR/revo), id honstly say this wasnt too far off being as fast.  especially high gear low revs pulls.  definitely alot more oomph than stage 1 k04 though

Just found this review of it on evo though and they highly rated it against the evo FQ320, impreza STI and bmw 330i in their group test and that was the slower version.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/65185/mitsubishi_evo_v_impreza_v_vectra_vxr_v_bmw_330i.html  apparently it surprised them quite alot.  

dont think i could ever own one though.  

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 08:10:05 pm »

yeah, ive driven 4 of them now.  one at stage 1, and the others at stage 2+ (APR/revo), id honstly say this wasnt too far off being as fast.  especially high gear low revs pulls.  definitely alot more oomph than stage 1 k04 though

Just found this review of it on evo though and they highly rated it against the evo FQ320, impreza STI and bmw 330i in their group test and that was the slower version.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/65185/mitsubishi_evo_v_impreza_v_vectra_vxr_v_bmw_330i.html apparently it surprised them quite alot.  

dont think i could ever own one though.  

Sorry mate but not a chance!!!! I was running against a guy off VXR online who has a 310+bhp Vectra VXR with LSD and quite a few other goodies on it @ the MLR 30-130mph day last year. My car had just TBE and Revo software at the time (so around 320bhp) and I was a good 6 seconds faster than him and also (suprisingly) had a faster top speed on the day too..
Yes they go well and can be a performance bargain, but they aint Stage 2+ pace at all (far from it). I would put them on par with a 280bhp KO4 (up to a certain speed) going off the many performance figures i've seen from them..
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:12:05 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 08:17:07 pm »
but we all know from your other posts that your car is the fastest  ever, im just going off my experience of driving them.  it felt quicker i know that

a stage 2 k04 isnt to far off being as quick as a stage 2+ k04 at the end of the day.  id have put the performance in between a stage 1 and 2 k04

its still scrabble drive though, so id still nnot consider it anyway
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:25:30 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 08:35:06 pm »
but we all know from your other posts that your car is the fastest  ever, im just going off my experience of driving them.  it felt quicker i know that

a stage 2 k04 isnt to far off being as quick as a stage 2+ k04 at the end of the day.  id have put the performance in between a stage 1 and 2 k04

:confused:
Well unless my car has been sprinkled with magic performance dust by Tinkerbell when rolling off the production line in Germany, I would hazard a wild guess that it's no faster than any other Stage 1, 2, 2+ Ed30 when in it's comparitive state of tune.. In other words I was explaining my findings when putting a Stage 2 KO4 (as well as 2 other Ed30 members from this forum) against a mapped Vectra in a organised event. This was held on a closed RAF runway, using GPS Racelogic timing equipment, in a ideal test of a cars straight line (rolling) ability. So a good comparison in my eyes..
Or we could just use you butt dyno and go with that as being more OFFICIAL I suppose?  :booty: :confused:

I could also mention that they are WAAAAAY of the times and terminal speeds when tested on the 1/4 mile strip against several Stage 2+ KO4 times/terminals. But I wouldn't want you to think 'I' was gloating, as I AM MR EDITION 30 and NOBODY CAN BEAT ME, EVER!!!!  :P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:39:55 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 08:42:03 pm »
 :grin: :grin:  where's my fishing rod.  

thing is you have no idea about that vectra either.  it could have had one of these generic maps that quote big figures but never make them.  

who knows.  

still a vauxhall and worst of all its a vecra :sick:  i was just massively surprised by how much better it was than i had read about and expected

i think its the midrange that makes it feel so good though, as at the top as i said, power did drop off.  the TFSI pulls all the way to 6500rpm
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:43:47 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 08:54:00 pm »
:grin: :grin:  where's my fishing rod.  

thing is you have no idea about that vectra either.  it could have had one of these generic maps that quote big figures but never make them.  

who knows.  

still a vauxhall and worst of all its a vecra :sick:  i was just massively surprised by how much better it was than i had read about and expected

i think its the midrange that makes it feel so good though, as at the top as i said, power did drop off.  the TFSI pulls all the way to 6500rpm

TFSI RULES!!! (or should I say my TFSI)  :P :booty:
In all fairness though for a cheap family saloon with buckets of torque, the Vectra is seriously over looked..  :wink:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 08:57:53 pm »
Ben you got any Magic performance dust spare please?  :laugh:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 09:02:44 pm »
TFSI RULES!!! (or should I say my TFSI)  :P :booty:
In all fairness though for a cheap family saloon with buckets of torque, the Vectra is seriously over looked..  :wink:

and overlook it i shall :grin:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 09:09:28 pm »
stop driving crap cars and just buy an ed30 stop F ing about   :popcornsoda:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box